Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ants  (Read 235 times)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
Ants
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »

I have noticed that at certain times of the year, insects, and especially ants, tend to be more active than at other times of the year. I don't know whether it's to do with the weather (hot cold, wet, dry etc) or if it's more biological  (breeding cycles for example).

In the last 2 weeks, I have noticed that ants have been very active. Firstly they have been on the move, going from one place to another, even seemingly taking what appeared to be a "queen" ant or something. (not sure if that's technically correct). They have also emerged in very large numbers out of cracks in the floor (where wall and floor meet).

Ants have also started invading my kettle again. They have done that in the past but then suddenly stopped. I did not take note of exactly when they started and stopped. So this thread is dedicated to observing and commenting about ant behaviour i the hope that we can further understand them. This might help us become superior beings - either by being able to pre-empt an ant attack, or in the very least, be able to sound geeky and knowledgable about ants and ant life at a farang get together.  :D

So, what and when have you observed 'extra-active' ant activity? What do you already know about ants?

NB: Leaving a jam sandwich on your kitchen table and watching the ants run to it and scoff it all up doesn't really count as "interesting" activity or observation for the purposes of this thread  ;)  :D  

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

sulasno

• Forum Wizard
Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »

ants tend to move when the previous area they occupy is not dry (so I was told)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »

Thanks for the answer, Sulasno.  :)
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

PYB

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:30:19 PM »

Ant armies move when the food supply has become hard to find, do a wiki on Ants migration, theres a lot of info there, we just cut a load of euca trees, the guys cutting got bit a real lot, next day, the ants were moving on watching them was unreal, seems they find temp homes until the find a permanent home, ants really are a amazing insect to watch.

sulasno

• Forum Wizard
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »

What do you call an ant who likes to be alone?

An independant!
Pages: [1]