Korat-Farang.com

Electric bicycles

gatorsoft · 14 · 917

Offline gatorsoft

• Even crazier after all these years
At some point in the future, I have an interest in buying an electric bicycle.  I would prefer one that I can manually pedal and use the electric aspect to assist or take over if I am tired.  Does anyone know where there is a shop in Korat that sells these?
"I never really thought of myself as a freak...but I love to freak"

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
At some point in the future, I have an interest in buying an electric bicycle.  I would prefer one that I can manually pedal and use the electric aspect to assist or take over if I am tired.  Does anyone know where there is a shop in Korat that sells these?

I know one who is importing them from China, at least 2 different models, each model coming in at least 2 different sizes. If that's good enough for you, I will try to get his contact information and post it here. Let me know.
Village idiots unwelcome here

mr hippo

http://la-eride.com/2012/
The Thai company, LA Bicycles, have electic bicycles and a dealer in Korat but there a few interesting points to consider:
1 Cost: I have just compared two similar Trek models. The electic T80 costs US$2100 and the standard Verve 2 costs US$550 and apart from the motor both have the same specs. You also have to consider repairs, replacements and parts costs.
2  Weight: I have been cycle touring and a fully laden bike can weight about 300lbs or more but stripped to a day tourer about a tenth of that. You do not have the luxury of instant weight reduction when you do not need the motor.
Range: OK, so you are tired and switch to electic drive and.... dead battery or it dies after a few kilometes; you are still tired with a very heavy bike!

Offline gatorsoft

• Even crazier after all these years
Anton:  I'd  really like to see the bike at a shop and examine it, learn the price, etc. before any commitment.

Mr. Hippo:  I don't anticipate ever using it for more than maybe 20 km at a time, so weight would probably not be a factor.  Right now it is just a pipe dream, but I would like to see one at a shop.  Do you know what shops in Korat have them?
"I never really thought of myself as a freak...but I love to freak"

mr hippo

Right now it is just a pipe dream, but I would like to see one at a shop.  Do you know what shops in Korat have them?
The link also has the dealer in Korat's details but is all in Thai
url=http://la-eride.com/2012/]http://la-eride.com/2012/[/url]

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Anton:  I'd  really like to see the bike at a shop and examine it, learn the price, etc. before any commitment.

Gatorsoft, sorry for delay, this is what I got:

Name: Dtoey เต้ย

Web (in Thai): www.facebook.com/BicycleElectric

There's a phone number showing there, I'm sending you another one by PM.

His shop is located somewhere around the Save One area, I don't know exactly where, I wasn't driving the only time they took me there. I remember that it is in a recently built covered market with shops that are selling also wholesale, a bit of everything but especially garments. Himself, he sells also other stuff, but when I went there, he had at least a couple of electric bicycles on display, and I was allowed to test one. He also had some brochures available to watch for other models.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Right now it is just a pipe dream, but I would like to see one at a shop.  Do you know what shops in Korat have them?
The link also has the dealer in Korat's details but is all in Thai
url=http://la-eride.com/2012/]http://la-eride.com/2012/[/url]

It has the phone number for a branch in Korat: 044-241934.

[attachment deleted by admin]
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
if you don't need the exercise, go buy an electric motorbike

Offline LWalters

Hey these could be useful, on a bicycle ride, electric or pedal power.

Good make as well.

Cheers

LW

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Promotional sale of electric two- and three-wheeler vehicles currently on the ground floor at Tesco-Lotus on Mitthapap, until tomorrow, with discounts of up to 3,000 THB. Seller: Sangtong Electric Bikes. Website: www.sebbike.com.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Another promotion of this kind of products currently on the ground floor at Tesco-Lotus on Mitthapap, just inside the main entrance.

Online Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Anton, did you get an idea of the weight of these? I ask because they look like slimmed scooters, and the only concession to cycling is the addition of pedals. Given that they look incredibly heavy, cycling up even the slightest gradient is probably unrealistic and even though they appear to use a car battery (adding even more weight) the total weight is likely to reduce range. Perhaps this is where the demand is: for comparison I looked at a UK shop selling eBikes (http://www.fullycharged.com/) and the concept is very different: as light as possible but still very much bikes. But then the prices are very different too....

Online Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
56kg is more than the weight of an average adult woman. Surely it isn't possible to expect an adult to pedal double their weight uphill!

There is a market for electric motorbikes. It looks like these guys are aiming for a middle ground.

There were other odd elements: drum brakes??

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Thanks for those pics Anton - I agree it's more like an 'electric moped'.

I have seen electric bicycles trundling around on what seems to be a standard bicycle frame - in fact a Grandma from Cambodia (nickname 'Hamilton') living behind us, has a 'tricycle' version on a light frame - we see her daily when walking the dogs - zipping around - sometimes peddling - sometimes not !

Those 'Everests' look quite similar to the 'Sebbikes' you linked in 2015.

CK those UK eBikes are VERY expensive. No thanks.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein