Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bizarre Foods - Isaan, Thailand  (Read 506 times)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
Bizarre Foods - Isaan, Thailand
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:00:36 AM »

An American television personality, chef and food writer, Andrew Zimmern, travels to the north east of Thailand to try some 'bizarre' foods.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTG0dli_zI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTG0dli_zI</a>
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

sulasno

• Forum Wizard
Re: Bizarre Foods - Isaan, Thailand
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:09:32 AM »

nice find .................

thks

Irish

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »

That's one wild vidio. I wonder how many farang living in Issaan eat any of that stuff.  Me, I love fried bugs that my M-n-L fries up. Most of them come from our fruit trees.   I also like silk worms. Good stuff.  But some of that stuff - no way.  Thanks Alfie. Irish

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »

I quite like fried bugs from time to time but as the oil/fat to protein ratio is likely way too high, it's only an occassional nibble for me.

I've eaten ant eggs. Not much to them, though. I've never eaten rat and I don't think I ever will. I've eaten snails in Thailand. Not quite so nice as the ones I've eaten in France.

I've eaten frogs in France but not in Thailand. Apparently, selling grilled bullfrogs has become a lucrative business in Nakhon Ratchasima province. There's an article in the Bangkok Post today about it.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/341497/profits-rise-in-grilled-bullfrogs-business

Many grilled bullfrog stalls have been set up along a section of Highway 304 in the province.

Wan Klomsamrong, a villager in Nakhon Ratchasima's Pak Thongchai district, said she earns 7,000 to 8,000 baht a day from selling grilled frogs. On weekends, she can earn 20,000 to 25,000 baht a day.

Ms Wan said tonnes of bullfrogs were collected each day and some of them were sold in other areas.

She said she bought 300 to 500 kilogrammes of bullfrogs at 170 to 200 baht/kg. Last year, the price was 150 and 170 baht.

"There are four to five bullfrogs, depending on their size, on each skewer. If the frogs have no eggs in their bellies the price of one skewer is 70 baht, while skewers with frogs that are filled will eggs are sold at 100 baht," said the seller. She sells fresh bullfrogs  at 250 to 300 baht/ kg.

Ms Wan said she also sells pickled bullfrog at 100 baht a bag.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

LWalters

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »

When I was on the farm, used to see many people go out at night ,collecting frogs.
To sell and to eat.Then around 60 baht kilo.
As there were a few khlongs around, that seemed to be the best place to catch the croakers.

I would rather eat" Freddo frogs" though. :)

LW

Quilter

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »

I love snake, every month my Thai Backridge will catch 1-2 (mainly rat snake) in my garden.

http://korat-farang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2802.0

sulasno

• Forum Wizard
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

too much snakes during Summer isn't too good

remembered reading an article somewhere in Bangkok Post? about people eating the galls of the snakes; someone claimed that it is cruel lol

guess the reporter has never been to Taiwan

having snakes once in a while is supposed to be good for your skin (esp if you have a skin problem)

Orchid

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 11:12:02 PM »

I didn't know there's already tread about this. I post another new tread.. ;D

Orchid

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »

Anyway I've never tried those sort of local food.  :)
Pages: [1]