Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Bicycle  (Read 395 times)

Buadhai

New Bicycle
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »

Although I'm an avid cyclist, I really know nothing about bicycles.

When I arrived, eight years ago, I bought a Trek 4300 (mountain bike) from ProBike in Bangkok. Since I do a fair bit off dirt road riding, it has served me well. However, it is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm in the market for a new one.

The only thing I don't like about the mountain bike format is the straight fork's lack of caster (trail). I do like the flat handlebars and the wider tires. I would probably prefer disc brakes to rim brakes. Fenders and a wide seat (for my big butt) are a must.

I have seen, but never ridden, so called hybrid bikes, but these seem to come in several styles, from spare "city" bikes to heavily equipped trekking bikes.

I have looked at the ProBike web site, but nothing on offer match my current idea about what I want.

I'm hoping that Mr. Hippo or some other knowledgeable cyclist will offer some advice as to make, model and where-to-purchase. My budget is around 20K baht, but I'm will to spend less.

mr hippo

• RIP Mr Hippo
Re: New Bicycle
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »

The reason as to why straight forks seem to be the norm is that most frames are either aluminium or carbon and, unlike cro-moly steel, these materials do not lend themselves to bending. However frame builders have compensated by altering the head angles.
Do you really need disc brakes? If most of your riding is off road in thick, gloopy mud then go for it otherwise stick with the less expensive and less complicated rim brakes!
I owned a Trek 7200 hybrid but I added mudguards (fenders) and butterfly bars - also known as trekking bars. It was a great 'go anywhere' bike: took me from BKK to Chachongsao on numerous occasions

ProBike have a dealer here in Korat. He can also get Surly bikes. Check out http://surlybikes.com/bikes/
I would not recommend LA bikes (upmarket Thai made Tesco specials) or Giant.
When you are in  the SuepSiri area for a coffee, call me and we can chat about bikes.
"In Harpic Asbestos"

Buadhai

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »

Thanks.

The 7200 seems as if it would be the bike for me. However, it seems to be discontinued. Do you know what model replaces it?

One problem I have is that the models shown on the ProBike web site don't much correspond to the models on the Trek website.

mr hippo

• RIP Mr Hippo
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

The 7XXX series has been replaced by the FX series.
ProBike will order for you but put your order in at the shop in Korat. it will be cheaper and mention my name! 
"In Harpic Asbestos"

angsta

• Solid Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »

Can you recommend a good road bike shop in Bkk Mr H?
Never argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

"Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’"

There is no society.

Buadhai

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:39:14 PM »

The 7XXX series has been replaced by the FX series.
ProBike will order for you but put your order in at the shop in Korat. it will be cheaper and mention my name! 

Thanks. The shop is Two Wheel over by the military hospital, right?

What does he know you as?

mr hippo

• RIP Mr Hippo
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »

Can you recommend a good road bike shop in Bkk Mr H?
What part of BKK? The only two that I am familiar with are head office and Nahornthai Jakayaan on LatPhrao Road - between sois 101 and 103
Natee, owner of ProBike, is fussy about who he appoints as dealers so any on the dealers is OK.
"In Harpic Asbestos"

mr hippo

• RIP Mr Hippo
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »

Thanks. The shop is Two Wheel over by the military hospital, right?
What does he know you as?
It is Two Wheels and is possibly my third home in Korat after the PTT on the bypass which I have vacated for now because of repairs on my extra long driveway! My new temporary home is the PTT at Dan Kwian

Noi at Two Wheels knows me as Hippo.
"In Harpic Asbestos"

mr hippo

• RIP Mr Hippo
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »

I was at TwoWheels yesterday and they have a Trek 7.2 on display. Noi quoted 15000 Baht but there is room for negotiation either in cash or accessories
"In Harpic Asbestos"
Pages: [1]