Korat-Farang.com

So What Are You Reading Right Now

Guest · 156 · 10141

Thaiphoon

I'm no book worm , but some times I have the urge to immerse my self in a good book,   a bit of a classic fancier , with the odd HG Wells thrown in  ;D

So what are you reading ?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I am currently reading two books. I started Cannery Row by John Steinbeck but at page 35 I'm struggling to keep my enthusiasm for it. The plot is either terribly weak or there is no plot. (I like plots).

Hungry for a plot or a more exciting writing style, I have now started Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe. For some reason, the blurb on the back cover made me think of K-F member Thaiphoon! I have read chapter one and so far I like what I have read.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:50:32 AM by Alfie »
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Toddy

I like James Patterson and have just bought his "9th Judgement", one of the Women's Murder Club series. I have read the first 7 in the series, but missed the 8th - never mind they don't have to be read in order (although best if you do).

He writes very readable thriller/murder books which are generally page turners. His Alex Cross series are very good.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:49:21 PM by Toddy »

Toddy

The last book I read was The Confession by John Grisham. Usual gripping stuff.

I have read all of Grishams books and every one has been at least good - most excellent. Recommended if you haven't tried him. Most involve the law/court trials in one way or another, which I find interesting. He is an ex lawyer.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller.

It’s a play - and I have to be in the mood for a play - but I’m enjoying reading this one. It’s not very long and I think I can predict the ending. The story is about a salesman, so I have a strong feeling that the title is a clue to the ending! I suppose I just have to guess how - and I think I have read the clues so far. Anyway, so far so good. Only thirty pages to go.

dutchy124

I am currently reading three books. One for the toilet, one for the bath and one for bed. In the toilet I am nearing the end of Edward Heath's autobiography, (Former UK prime minister). For the bath it is Tom Bower's ''Blood money'' The story of Nazi loot (still) hidden in Swiss bank accounts. And lastly the book at bedtime, although this does come out a little earlier in the evening with a cuppa sitting outside the front of the house around 5pm, this is on my ebook reader and is ''The Redbreeast'' by Jo Nesbo. I managed to buy six of his books from ebay in Kindle format sent via email for 99p.

During the day it is war gaming magazines and now and again a Sudoko book.

I probably read around 2-4 hours a day.

If you haven't read any of Tom Bowers biographies, do so, very interesting and entertaing. I have recently finished Al Fayed, Bernie Ecclestone, Tricky Dickie Branson, Tiny Rowland, Conrad Black and Robert Maxwell. The theme running through all these seems to be greed, perhaps why I like them.

Toddy

I like the idea of having a different book on the go for different rooms/activities!!  :D

Salika Donga

Some other Rainbow John McCarthy, Long walk to freedom Nelson Mandella,
Next up Bangkok Hylton ;)

Salika Donga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rTPSSmOFw

After 9=11 by Noam Chompsky  An American hero who exposes the myth that his country saves the world.

Great read if you can bear the truth ;)

Toddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rTPSSmOFw

After 9=11 by Noam Chompsky  An American hero who exposes the myth that his country saves the world.

Great read if you can bear the truth ;)

Sounds interesting. Have to take a look at that.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Noam Chomsky has a lot to say on a lot of topics. What will we do without him once he inevitably bites the proverbial dust?

I recently finished Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller so now I'm looking for something else to read.

melyianna

just finished re-reading Generation A by Douglas Coupland (my favorite author)

i just picked up two books at the mall:

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Offline waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
 I'm reading about philosophy and life and love.  ;D
Please introduce good books to me.  ;)
Kob Khun Mak Mak na ka  :D
Long live to long learn

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I normally read two books at a time: one when I am at home, during free time anytime of the day; one on public transports, in waiting rooms or in any other waiting situation when not at home. The latter is normally a slim volume so I can always carry it in my bag.

Right now at home I am reading "Shogun" by James Clavell. Outside, "Dangling man" by Saul Bellow.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:53:28 AM by Anton »
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I'm currently reading The Black Tower by P.D. James.

It has been a long time since I read a book by her but I enjoyed the last book I read by her and so far I'm enjoying this one.

Salika Donga

Life by Keith Richards.  Brilliant story of the life and times of the famous Stones. Must read for Rock fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oybie48BQck

white fang

Quick reply, there is a stall on saveone near the 7/11 that has some books in english, just in case anyone is looking for a read  ::) ::)

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I'm currently reading George Orwell's Keep the Aspidistra Flying. Not a rivetting plot but the writing is good enough to keep me reading - so far.

Set in Hampstead and written when Orwell was also living there and working at Booklovers’ Corner on Pond Street, this is his satire of the lower middle classes as well as a harrowing account of poverty.

Keep the Aspidistra Flying

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The last book I finished was Post Office by American author Charles Bukowski. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first person narrative reminded me of Catcher in the Rye, another American classic that I enjoyed.

Post Office