Korat-Farang.com

So What Are You Reading Right Now

Guest · 153 · 9475

Toddy

I'm currently reading George Orwell's Keep the Aspidistra Flying. Not a rivetting plot but the writing is good enough to keep me reading - so far.

Set in Hampstead and written when Orwell was also living there and working at Booklovers’ Corner on Pond Street, this is his satire of the lower middle classes as well as a harrowing account of poverty.

Keep the Aspidistra Flying

I read that when I was 15. It was (sort of) interesting then.  ;D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
At 15, I was reading Shakespeare.  ;)
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
Sidetracked by Henning Mankell.

I had to read more Scandinavian crime fiction after completing Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Toddy

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Anything by James Patterson.  ;D

I had to look him up.

James Patterson is one of the best-known and biggest-selling writers of all time.
He is the author of some of the most popular series of the past decade ... and he has written many other number one bestsellers 

I had to look him up. :D

chaiyadan

Good Morning, I am reading an old novel, called, "The Executioners Song".  Just getting started.  I am really leaving a post because I am new and would like to know if there is a Book Exchange or Used Book store in Korat.  I have about 75 books that I have finished, and of course now, starting some a 2nd time.  Any suggestions?
Thanks Dan :)

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Try The Walrus Bar, he has quite a selection of books there. I believe the method is if you want a book then just take one in to swap over.
Of course being a bar it would be nice to buy a drink whilst you are there but Steve's a nice guy and I bet he would'nt even insist on that.
HL  ;D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I think the Ram pub has a similar book swap service.

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
I'm currently reading George Orwell's Keep the Aspidistra Flying. Not a rivetting plot but the writing is good enough to keep me reading - so far.

Set in Hampstead and written when Orwell was also living there and working at Booklovers’ Corner on Pond Street, this is his satire of the lower middle classes as well as a harrowing account of poverty.

Keep the Aspidistra Flying

I read that when I was 15. It was (sort of) interesting then.  ;D

Where did you get this? I am a big Orwell fan but this is one of his that I don't think i've read.

A previous poster mention Bukowski who is in my opinion one of the greatest writers of all time. Everyone should read at least one of his books.

I am currently reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre. I saw the movie and liked it but didn't understand some parts and reading the original text has helped immensely.

Humble Pie is the Gordon Ramsay biography, a very good book. He had a shitty life, it's an easy and good read.  

I'll check out The Walrus Bar, The Ram also has some books to trade.
Never argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

"Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’"

There is no society.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I brought Keep the Aspidistra Flying and Bukowski's Post Office back with me the last time I went back to the UK. The first thing I do when I go back is stock up on books. I brought another Orwell book with me - Coming Up for Air. Have you read that one?

Earlier this year I read Le Carre's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. I enjoyed that, too, and I also bought it in the UK.

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
I have read Coming Up For Air, I kinda liked it.

I also like Graham Greene, everything apart from Brighton Rock. Could never get into that one.
Never argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

"Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’"

There is no society.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I like Graham Greene, too. One of my favourite books is Our Man in Havana.

I couldn't get into Brighton Rock either but I quite liked the film, which I commented on here: http://korat-farang.com/forum/index.php?topic=287.msg2937#msg2937

Toddy

I like Graham Greene, too. One of my favourite books is Our Man in Havana.

I couldn't get into Brighton Rock either but I quite liked the film, which I commented on here: http://korat-farang.com/forum/index.php?topic=287.msg2937#msg2937

I thoght Brighton Rock was hard going.

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
The Ram?

There is no society.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
where can i swap good reads in korat??

Check out page 2 of this thread - replies 33, 34 and 35.

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
Seedy?? The Ram??? Yeah, if so I need to visit. Sounds like its picked up.

There is no society.

melyianna

I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey

I got it at AsiaBooks in the mall. They had one more copy on the shelf when I bought it a week or more ago.

about the book (from amazon.com):

Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

incidentally, the shop in the basement of the mall  (city walk) also has 30 Rock (an american tv show that tina fey stars in, writes, and produces) dvds. i recently got seasons 1 and 2. i think they had up to season 5 available.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The last book I finished reading was Keep the Aspidistra Flying. I thought it had a slow start but it got better and better as it went along. Overall, a good read.

Now I'm trying to choose between John Steinbeck's "The Winter of our Discontent" and "The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot. Which should I read?