Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: So What Are You Reading Right Now  (Read 9093 times)

melyianna

Re: So What Are You Reading Right Now
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 02:51:57 AM »

i have to go with the steinbeck. i think the only thing of george eliot/mary ann evans' i've read was silas marner and i didn't particularly care for it. but a good steinbeck novel... always a pleasure.

i have to admit that i may, however, be partial to american writers. also, the grapes of wrath and of mice and men were two of my favorite books in junior high school.

melyianna

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 02:56:06 AM »

i haven't read Keep the Aspidistra Flying. if you wouldn't mind terribly much, i would love to borrow it sometime.

have you read finding george orwell in burma by emma larkin? sadly, i loaned my copy out, perhaps never to be returned. it's a great read.

angsta

• Forum Sage
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »

The last book I finished reading was Keep the Aspidistra Flying. I thought it had a slow start but it got better and better as it went along. Overall, a good read.

Agreed.

Charles Bukowski by Barry Miles.
Never argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

"Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’"

There is no society.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 08:10:23 AM »

Just finished Captain's Corelli mandolin by British author Louis de Bernières. I found it not bad although too much prolix in general and even pendantic here and there. Also, the conclusion to the main romance story was implausible and disappointing to me. However full of interesting historical views and judgements.

I noted down several remarkable quotes, two of which I wish to report here, to the delight of our "pommy" friends in the forum  ;D  :D

"...to be associated with the British is to be offered the choice of one of two bags tied at the neck with string. One contains a viper, and the other a bag of gold. If you are lucky, you will choose the bag of gold, only to find that the British have reserved the right to exchange it for the other without notice. Conversely, ill luck might cause you to pick the bag with the viper, whereupon the British will wait until you have been bitten, and then say, "We didn't mean it; have this other bag." (...) We don't know what to think about the British. (...) With the British you can be sure of nothing except that they will treat you despicably and then make up for it a hundredfold. At one time we loved them so much that we asked for Prince Alfred as our King - and we still have a cult of Lord Byron - and at other times they have kicked us in the teeth." [this was Dr. Iannis, an amateur historian of Cefalonia, writing]

"In those days Great Britain was less wealthy than it is now, but it was also less complacent, and considerably less useless.  It had a sense of humanitarian responsibility and a myth of its own importance that was quixotically true and universally accepted merely because it believed in it, and said so in a voice loud enough for foreigners to understand.  It had not yet acquired the schoolboy habit of waiting for months for permission from Washington before it clambered out of its post-imperial bed, put on its boots, made a sugary cup of tea, and ventured through the door."
Village idiots unwelcome here

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »

"In those days Great Britain ... had .. a myth of its own importance ... that was quixotically true and universally accepted merely because it believed in it, and said so in a voice loud enough for foreigners to understand.  It had not yet acquired the schoolboy habit of waiting for months for permission from Washington before it clambered out of its post-imperial bed, put on its boots, made a sugary cup of tea, and ventured through the door."

I like that, Anton. I think much of it is still true, particularly the parts I've quoted above.

I started to read Captain's Corelli's mandolin about 15 years ago but I couldn't really get into it so I stopped reading it.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »

I started to read Captain's Corelli's mandolin about 15 years ago but I couldn't really get into it so I stopped reading it.

I'm not surprised. I found the first third difficult to get through, too. Then it gets smoother, although never really smooth enough... But I'm a stubborn reader, I overcame more difficult trials, and all in all I'm happy I didn't drop it.

The best part for me was the historical reconstruction of last events leading up to the massacre of the Italian soldiers (Acqui division), how those soldiers tried to defend themselves, and how the nazis worked to conceal their crime. But that takes only about 1 fourth of the book  ::)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »

Well done, Anton. I need to get into a book well before the first third. The only book I really perservered with like that was by Joseph Conrad. Heart of Darkness if I recall correctly (but it might have been Lord Jim).

The last two novels I started to read are lying around neglected after failing to peak my interest early enough. I'm now on something much lighter: The Inimitable Jeeves by PG Wodehouse.

Spelling mistake corrected
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:23:01 PM by Alfie »

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »

I'm now on something much lighter: The Imitable Jeeves by PG Wodehouse.

You meant Inimitable... Or were you suggesting that you don't agree with the title?  ;D

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »

:D You're right. The Inimitable Jeeves. A typo. Thanks, Anton.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »

I just finished another one, this time a world-wide classic originally written in English, then translated into all other languages including Thai. At least two characters in this story choose to live according to the following precept: To cure the soul by means of the senses, and the senses by means of the soul. Would you guess the title without googling around? Easy guess for the British members I'm afraid... :)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »

This Briton had to Google for the answer!  :(  :-[

Buadhai

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »

gatorsoft

• Even crazier after all these years
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »

Looks like a fascinating read.
I'm just finishing McTeague by Frank Norris.  A wonderful tale of the power of greed, envy, and the inner beast in men struggling to come to the surface.
"I never really thought of myself as a freak...but I love to freak"

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »

How are you getting on with that, Buadhai? Is it what you expected? Does it answer any of your questions?

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »

This Briton had to Google for the answer!  :(  :-[

Sorry, I did not realize it was too difficult. You could have asked me for additional clues...

Buadhai

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

How are you getting on with that, Buadhai? Is it what you expected? Does it answer any of your questions?

To be honest, I'm finding the first section on ancient prehistory to be rather tedious. He spends a huge amount of time describing, in great detail, the various old burial sites that have been excavated throughout Thailand. I think detail like that is best left for academic papers or scholarly journals. Thumbing through the book I can see that I'm in for more of the same.

I was hoping for a broad narrative description of human history in Thailand based on recent archaeological discoveries.

Instead I got what seems not to be a history of Thailand, but a history of excavation in Thailand.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »

"In those days Great Britain ... had .. a myth of its own importance ... that was quixotically true and universally accepted merely because it believed in it, and said so in a voice loud enough for foreigners to understand.  It had not yet acquired the schoolboy habit of waiting for months for permission from Washington before it clambered out of its post-imperial bed, put on its boots, made a sugary cup of tea, and ventured through the door."

I like that, Anton. I think much of it is still true, particularly the parts I've quoted above.

It seems that there's some harsh debate going on in the UK right now, about the latest American interference in British matters (exiting or not exiting the EU).

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 03:19:34 AM »

It seems that there's some harsh debate going on in the UK right now, about the latest American interference in British matters (exiting or not exiting the EU).

Really? That must have passed me by.

I've just finished Midnight in Peking by Paul French. About the murder of a young British girl on the eve of the Japanese takeover before the war. Conveys the rather strange life of the expat from various nations that was soon to disappear forever from China. The killer was never found, but is identified in the book.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »

Really? That must have passed me by.

It was in the news in recent days, this is an example but there's plenty about it on the Web: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/10/us-britain-us-europe-idUSBRE9090WI20130110

I've just finished Midnight in Peking by Paul French. About the murder of a young British girl on the eve of the Japanese takeover before the war. Conveys the rather strange life of the expat from various nations that was soon to disappear forever from China. The killer was never found, but is identified in the book.

So it's based on a true story? Was it a good reading?

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »

So it's based on a true story? Was it a good reading?

For me, yes. It does appear there was some 'skullduggery' going on within the expat community (sound familiar  ;D), unbeknown to some and for which a blind eye was turned by others and the whole thing got swallowed up by world events. Well worth reading.

http://us.midnightinpeking.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8