Korat-Farang.com

The percussion of Weeds

Guest · 12 · 284

Thaiphoon

The question is , who is to say a weed is a weed , my garden has an abundant array of bought plants which to my dismay need constant attention and effort , then there's the Weeds .The weeds some just as nice looking as the bought plants and the bonus they magically appear free over night and there they sit in happy harmony with every thing around them. so there you have it ,who is to say a weed is a weed ,who is it that condemns the weed to a life of percussion, root pulling pain and a weed killer death , should we not have a bit more compassion for the weed .

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru

The question is , who is to say a weed is a weed , 

If it's your garden, you can choose what the weeds are. If you don't like roses and don't want them in your garden, then roses would be weeds if they suddenly started to grow there.

Some weeds look very nice. I used to have some lovely thistles growing in my back garden. I didn't plant them and I sometimes didn't like the sharp bits attacking me. Really they were weeds but I liked the look of them so allowed them a bit of freedom to grow, only reducing their number from time to time.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

brettandlek

Lek has 93 rose plants of all different kinds, and she has planted approximately 600 daffodil, tulip and jonquil bulbs in her garden and is constantly weeding but there are a few real thick stemmed weeds, not sure what they are, but they are about 3 to 4 foot tall.
Also in our back yard we have some onion grass (or onion weed) and when we mow the lawn it smells like onions.
These things actually flower as per pic attatched and when we were renting one of the houses had a lot of them and lek used to take them out and put them along the fence line.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
They are nice flowers, Brett.

93 rose plants and 600 daffodils and tulips sounds like an awesome garden!

I like the smell of freshly cut grass and I think I'd like the smell of freshly cut onion grass, too.

brettandlek

Oh yeh it is great, I should take a couple of pics to put on here.
I stand corrected coz we culled a few rose plants and left them out the front and people stopped and took them home.
So we now only have about 85, but i understated the bulbs, there is in fact about 1200 of them, the first time she planted them there was around 600. She has set it up so that when the roses arent blooming, the bulbs are.

Toddy

Toddy

I've just worked it out (or at least noticed it). Presumably TP means the persecution of weeds??!! Don't think that weeds play the drums  ;D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Ah. That will be another of TP's deliberate mistakes to see if we are awake. In fact, he could be testing us for eligibility into the NC! 

Toddy

If it's your garden, you can choose what the weeds are. If you don't like roses and don't want them in your garden, then roses would be weeds if they suddenly started to grow there.

Some weeds look very nice. I used to have some lovely thistles growing in my back garden. I didn't plant them and I sometimes didn't like the sharp bits attacking me. Really they were weeds but I liked the look of them so allowed them a bit of freedom to grow, only reducing their number from time to time.

Alfie, I've never tried pulling a thistle. It must be a bit of a bugger, I'd imagine??

brettandlek

I will get a couple of pics this weekend.
The roses aren't in bloom at the moment but some of the bulbs are, mainly the jonquils.

Online Eagle 3

• Golfers in Korat
    • My House

I was raised on a farm in the US, and thistles were the worst weed of them all. They would crowd out the crops and slow their growth.  We would pull them out of the ground (using leather gloves and very hard to pull out) or spray them with weed killer but they would be back the next year again. We would never let them go to seed (like the purple flowers in the photo) or we would have a thousand more the next year.  And if we got stuck by their thorns, it would sting for hours.  Very bad weed!
I am sofa king we todd did.