Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: hotels near suvarnabhumi airport / bang na / on-nut?  (Read 1120 times)

melyianna

hotels near suvarnabhumi airport / bang na / on-nut?
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »

has anyone stayed at any cheap (around 1000-2000 baht/night) and mostly clean/comfortable hotels in the bang na / on-nut area of bangkok (near the airport link or close enough to suvarnabhumi to get an airport shuttle or to take a short taxi/tuktuk ride)? preferably with a pool, free wifi in room, and decent restaurants and shopping within walking distance (or easily accessible by skytrain/subway)? i need to go to bkk next week. and then i fly outta swampy on the 26th. i usually stay on khaosan or sukhumvit but with the protests...

TIA

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Re: hotels near suvarnabhumi airport / bang na / on-nut?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »

I've stayed at the Vismaya Suvarnabhumi, 98 Moo 15 Soi King Kaew 43, King Kaew Rd, Rachateva, Bangplee, 10540 Lat Krabang (see http://www.thevismaya.com/)

It is in the price band suggested, has a pool, wi-fi (free), but a limited restaurant (acceptable for tourists, but you would be disappointed). It is not too close to the main road (which does have great restaurants) but it would be walkable, or better still via moped. I'm sure the hotel can sort. They speak great English but you will probably get your point about quality eating better understood speaking Thai! There is a regular shuttle to the airport.

I would recommend this place.

melyianna

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »

thanks, Coolkorat. i think i saw that one on agoda and/or booking.com last night while i was searching.

their site says they're, "35 Minutes away from... MEGA Bang Na." any idea if there is a skytrain or subway stop near this hotel (and near MEGA Bang Na)? not sure what the taxi + tuktuk situation is out there this week/next week... i read somewhere that taxis and tuktuks in bkk are scarce and charging exorbitant prices at the moment (or maybe i just made that part up? i'm not entirely sure to tell you the truth). but maybe it won't be (as much of) a problem that far away from the protest areas?

honestly i'm just entirely traumatized by having to go to bangkok at all during this mess.  :-[

thanks again, CK

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »

Mel I have stayed many times in a small hotel called "The Floral Shire Resort". (Its on Agoda) It is clean, has everything you want in the room but no pool as it is just a transit hotel. The departures are just a five minute drive and they have a free shuttle minibus that starts about 6am I think and runs all day on the hour both dropping off and picking up.
May I suggest, if you were interested in that one, that you could get the skytrain direct to the airport and then arrange to be picked up by the hotel shuttle and then drop off again the next morning. No worries with taxi's that way.
Have a good trip.
HL  ;D

melyianna

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 11:36:53 PM »

thanks HL.

i should have mentioned in my OP -

i want more than just a basic airport/transit hotel...

my current plan is to stay in bangkok 5-7 nights. i have a friend (from the US) stopping in bangkok for a week on her way home from cambodia... so the two of us would like to stay at a cheapish/cleanish hotel... away from the main protest sites... near suvarnabhumi a plus... but that also has decent shopping and nightlife nearby (or easily accessible via skytrain/subway/etc.)

i haven't spent much time in the swampy / bang na / on-nut area but IIRC there are decent malls (with movies in english!?) in bang na. and that new IKEA is... fairly close i think?

my friend (who will be in bangkok with me... if the airport stays open) has been coming to thailand at least once a year for like 20 years... and she always stays near khaosan. she's done the typical bangkok touristy stuff (grand palace, wat po, boat ride on the river, etc.) and the typical backpacker partying stuff near khaosan... but i'd like to be able to show her the "regular" parts of thai culture... like thai country bars and eating noodles at a cart on the sidewalk... and regular (non touristy) farmer's markets...

i know... it's a lot to ask for... especially with the craziness in bangkok right now. if they do close down the air traffic control place (or whatever it's called) tomorrow... and/or the airport... i guess none of this will matter.  :-[

i appreciate the suggestions... please keep them coming!

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:46 PM »

Hi Melly

We drove to the Visimaya so never tried the Skytrain. But I would think getting a taxi is simple: the main road is where the taxis coming and going to the airport get their NGV, so there are thousands knocking about. For the hotel to mention MEGA Bang Na must mean this is a regular trip they arrange for guests and must have a easy mechanism to sort for you: it would be worth giving them a call.

The hotel is in a great, quiet location. There is also a proper trashy restaurant nearby: http://www.kohlantarestaurant.com/gallery/nighttime.php

CK

melyianna

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:19:48 AM »

thanks, Coolkorat!

joefarang

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »

Whoa! That restaurant looks awesome!  Definitely be giving that hotel and restaurant a look in the future.

mike

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:22 PM »

I guess Melyianna already flew out, but for other's reference I just stayed at a hotel called Suvarnabhumi Suites. The hotel itself is excellent, and the area is pretty nice, too. Dozens of good restaraunts within walking distance. Rates on Agoda were $45 USD...$65 after taxes and fees. :-[

melyianna

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 12:40:35 AM »

i stayed at the Avana Hotel: http://www.avanahotel.com/overview.php. i booked the "Modern room with breakfast" through agoda.com for around $35-$40 US / night. the use of WiFi in my room for 3 days was an extra 750 baht. it was OK but i would not stay there again.

Pros:
clean, modern room
near Central Bang Na (about 2 km including the U-turn)
near MEGA Bang Na / IKEA (about 8 km including the U-turns)
close to Suvarnabhumi airport (15km according to agoda.com. it took me about 20-25 minutes to get there in a taxi at 4am)

Cons:
charged for use of WiFi in room
room smelled like smoke even though i requested a non-smoking room/floor
(free) breakfast was not very good. poor selection.
50% of my interactions with staff were unsatisfactory. some staff members were even rude and condescending.
massage at the in-hotel spa was not very good. i got the feeling that the masseuse may have be used to giving massages of a different... nature.  :o

Other Info:
this hotel seems to be geared toward korean travelers. many of the signs/printed materials are in thai, korean, and english. korean translation of the new testament of the bible in the room.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:06:02 PM »

has anyone stayed at any cheap (around 1000-2000 baht/night) and mostly clean/comfortable hotels in the bang na / on-nut area of bangkok (near the airport link or close enough to suvarnabhumi to get an airport shuttle or to take a short taxi/tuktuk ride)? preferably with a pool, free wifi in room, and decent restaurants and shopping within walking distance (or easily accessible by skytrain/subway)?

This comes late, but for the records... I just stayed in one that fulfils all above-mentioned requirements except for the swimming pool. On the other hand it has a golf club in front of it, Bangplee Driving Range, maybe some of the golfers here heard about it. It is called Eazy Motel and seems to be quite new. I booked the only available option on Booking.com for 895 THB: a double room with big bed, without breakfast. It turned out to be a "VIP" room so I guess they have also cheaper than that. Room was just as in the brochure shown below, simply furnished but large, with excellent bathroom, and very clean. And my room had the mirror on the ceiling too, just like on the brochure. Maybe that's what makes it a "VIP" room... ;D  Being a motel, every room with own parking place downstairs.

Mega Bangna and Ikea are at walking distance, but with a big highway in between: better jump on the city bus that stops at the hotel's entry way and takes you there in less than 5 min for 8 baht. First photo shows the covered bus stop; white building next to it is a TOT building; Eazy Motel in the circle. Third photo shows the Ikea sign in background.

If you don't have enough of Mega Bangna, you can cross the Bangna-Trat motorway (aka Rama 2 I think) on the pedestrian bridge that comes out from in front of Mega Bangna and walk over to the nearby big Tesco Lotus which, among other things, hosts an interesting sports store inside: Decathlon (last photo).

Plenty of taxis always available in front of Mega Bangna and on the other side of the road, and I saw some stationed even at the bus stop at the hotel's entry way.

Hotel's Placemark in annex.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Village idiots unwelcome here

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »

Ground floor with adjacent parking, minimalist furnishing and mirror above the bed sounds like a short time motel  ;D :D ;D
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »

Ground floor with adjacent parking, minimalist furnishing and mirror above the bed sounds like a short time motel  ;D :D ;D

Like all motels... Ideal for 1 or 2 nights. Who needs to stay longer in that location anyway?   :)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:43 AM »

I see CoolKorat mentioned the 'Vismaya' Hotel on Soi 43, King Keaw Rd.

IMO King Keaw Rd is THE ideal location for Suvarnabhumi. For years I stayed in the worn but adequate 'Plai Garden Boutique' Hotel on Soi 43 (B600) and once left on their Shuttlebus at 4.45 am to complete check in only 15 minutes later. So it's handy. Now I use the much better Vismaya which opened a few years ago - very nice rooms, shuttle, parking, pool, restaurant etc. (B1500).
The location is not so good for shopping but Shops and the Skytrain are a short taxi ride away.

One other massive plus for Soi 43 - a 2 minute Taxi ride to the 'Koh Lanta' Restaurant - my favourite in all Thailand. Amazing decor, music and open air layout including swans on the water !! Have a look at their website - it's just stunning. Next door there is a large music club too.

For Soi 43 coming from Korat, head south down KK Rd (a long way), take the first U turn then head back some way again for the Soi. Easy to find.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »

Like all motels... Ideal for 1 or 2 nights. Who needs to stay longer in that location anyway?   :)

I was thinking more like ideal for 1 or 2 hours :o
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 01:33:47 PM »

I was thinking more like ideal for 1 or 2 hours :o

Like all motels...

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »

Just an addendum to Reply 13 - Vismaya Hotel on Soi 43 King Keaw Rd - less than 10 minutes to Suvarnabhumi and 5 minutes to the sublime Koh Lantha Restaurant.
Very good rooms, pool, breakfast available and car parking. Easy to find KK Road !
Just booked a night outgoing B1170 incl. the shuttle bus and incoming B1260 but NOT incl. the shuttle bus - it's quicker to get a Taxi from the Airport.

The big plus is you can leave your car in a lot at the Hotel for just B50 daily.

Book direct on thevismaya.com
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

woolleyman

• Greetings from the Woolleyman
Hotel near suvarnabhumi airport.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »

Looking for recommendation for hotel near airport, please.

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Re: Hotel near suvarnabhumi airport.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 08:41:28 AM »

Floral Shire Resort.
Used it many times.....nothing special but its clean and well kept, reasonable prices and free shuttle to and from the airport. They have also allowed me to leave my car in their car park while away.
HL

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »

Wooley / HL

More here if you read back - we use 'Vismaya' on Soi 43 King Keaw RD - 5 minutes from the Airport. Swimming pool ! Car parking B50. Close to the Koh Lanta Restaurant if you have time. Book online - sometimes full so book early. Good luck.
Pages: [1] 2