Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Korat City fauna  (Read 1275 times)

geNe

Re: Korat City fauna
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »

I have 2-3 in my garden ...  ;)

The first picture would be a Gecko but those 2-3 in your garden are probably common iguanas. A Chameleon would be slightly bigger and changes color. Iguanas do not change its colour to the surroundings.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »

This luckless snake chose the wrong moment and place to adventure on a fast road downtown Korat, near the Times Square complex, at around noon today. I dodged it by little with my motorcycle, while it was still moving and coiling, but by the time I got back to take a photo it had been run over by other vehicles. Only the tail was still moving (I took the photo from a certain distance anyway). Can anybody identify the exact species?

Village idiots unwelcome here

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »

I think its one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopelea_ornata

Thank you, it really looks like it. That was a quick reply, are you a snakes expert?

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »

This is not a common edible snail (Helix Pomatia or escargot). So, what is it? Photos taken this afternoon just outside The Mall.

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »

I think its one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopelea_ornata

Thank you, it really looks like it. That was a quick reply, are you a snakes expert?

Anton - no, I'm not. But we get snakes at our factory fairly often: the staff tend to catch and eat them. Given the lack of snakes in the UK it seemed sensible to know where to look quickly to identify the snakes in Thailand that might kill you, how fast they can travel, which way to run, how to say "hit me with the antivenom ASAP" in Thai etc.

Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »

This is not a common edible snail (Helix Pomatia or escargot). So, what is it? Photos taken this afternoon just outside The Mall.

I can't be sure, but it looks like this snail:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/555702041495812748/

This is the species snailandwhaleus: not edible, but given to wandering. Usually found in the company of a large sperm whale. This may explain the attempt to enter The Mall - it may have heard there are very large sperm whales inside, either following smaller female bahtsharks or lurking in the darker recesses of the beerandtotty cave in the deepest depths.

p.s. Apologies to those who haven't read 'The Snail and The Whale' by Julia Donaldson to their kids, for whom this post will make no sense at all.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »

smaller female bahtsharks

I'll see if I can get a photo of this previously unheard-of species, too  :D

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »

A giant millipede probably of the Spirostreptus genus, but go guess what species (there are over 300 listed on Wikipedia). This one was outside Tesco-Lotus on Mitthapap early this morning. Do they come out with the rain?

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »

Photo taken yesterday in one of my condo's common corridors. Sorry for the poor quality, the light was just enough. This was not a very big one, but sometimes I see around here some black ones as big as a bat. Did you see them?

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »

Nope, never seen one.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 12:37:19 PM »

Noticed this big bug while waiting at the level crossing by the 5-ways intersection this morning. Did my best to immortalize it but time was short, and when I saw it heading for me I hastily retreated. It was about as big as a man's thumb. Could it be a "big carpenter bee" (Xylocopa) of some kind?

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »

I saw one of these recently, trying to get into my bathroom. It was stopped by the metal grill over the air-vents.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:16 AM »

This dude posed for me just now outside my condo. Scientific name anybody?

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »

This dude posed for me just now outside my condo. Scientific name anybody?

It's a Kaloula pulchra (or banded bullfrog or chubby frog or Asian painted frog).

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »

These days I spotted both a monitor lizard and a grey squirrel downtown, near where I live. I didn't have the time to take photos but I saw them clearly.

The lizard coming out from one of the few surviving cane thickets along Lam Takong around Soi 4, today at around 11:30 am. Last time I saw a monitor lizard in Soi 4 was at least 3 years ago, coming out from another cane thicket that is no longer there now.

The squirrel running up a tree on the sidewalk in front of Toyota Thaiyen on Mitthapap, last Sunday morning at 6:00 am. I'm annexing Placemarks for both sightings. Not easy to take photos of those wild animals, I'll try if I have time.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »

Channel 3's news program "Rueang lau chao nee" เรื่องเล่าเช้านี้ reported this morning about a dead monitor lizard found floating in Korat's old moat ditch, southeastern corner by the railway bridge as recognizable in the video. If I understand well, death attributed to excessive water pollution but Korat Municipality denies.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-HifDYqlF8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-HifDYqlF8</a>

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 09:19:04 PM »

There used to be water aerators in the moat ditches to keep the water in reasonable condition. Are there no aerators now? Or are they just switched off?

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »

A bat came to visit us this afternoon. I'm not sure why it wanted to hang out on our front door but it did and it's still there.

It looks grey or light brown in the photo but in real life it is black.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:59 AM »

A rather big monitor lizard sneaked into a pharmacy shop downtown Korat, in the police housing area behind central police station if I understand well. That's near the moat's ditch, southern side, not far from where a dead one was found floating last year (reply no. 36). This one was alive and kicking as you can see in this news report dated today. It was found to be about 50 kg in weight. Shop owner had a scare but he's probably hoping in good luck now. Monitor lizards are believed to bring good wealth in Thailand, so much that they are nicknamed "Cash and gold animal" ตัวเงินตัวทอง.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xkcxviMCPE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xkcxviMCPE</a>
Pages: 1 [2] 3