Korat-Farang.com

Libya - the beginning of the end for Gaddaffi?

Alfie · 56 · 1144

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Last I read was that Sirte was the only pocket of Gaddaffi loyalists left. They were given a week's deadline (while negotiating) before a military assault would start butthen the deadline was extended. Another week I think. It seems that the international community don't want Sirte to be a bloodbath and so are pressuring the NTC to 'win' by negotiating. All well and good, but what if they don't?

Is the NTC affiliated with TNC??  ;D

A sub branch, Toddy.  ;)
'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Dutch

I haven't seen any news for a week. Holiday to me means a complete break from the world. Last I heard the old git was still sabre rattling. Surely it can't be long now??

Dutch is right to be worried about the future, mind you, anything could happen. If Iran stick their nose in, who knows??

No need for Iran to stick it's nose in (directly I mean).
Follow the news about Egypt and Tunesia and you will understand what the new "democracy" means.
Tens of thousands of "free democratic" refugees from Tunesia in and at the border of Italy.How many of the "happy" Lybians will follow?
No,I am not happy the direction this is going >:(

Toddy

Nobody can predict how the Arab world will develop. I am not optimistic. More chance of another vile regime than democracy in my view.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
We all know Gaddaffi is now (literally) finished; now Libya's new rulers have declared the country liberated.

From the BBC:

Libya's transitional government has declared national liberation before a jubilant crowd in Benghazi, the city where the revolt against Gaddafi began.

Tens of thousands of people packed into Freedom Square to hear National Transitional Council (NTC) leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil speak.

Mr Abdul Jalil bowed down to thank God for victory before making a speech in which he urged forgiveness and reconciliation, and prayed for those who had died during the uprising.

He thanked all those who had taken part in the revolution - from rebel fighters to businessmen and journalists who had backed it - and said the new Libya would take Islamic law as its foundation. The NTC leader also wished anti-government protesters in Syria and Yemen "victory".

Nato chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen welcomed the declaration of liberation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15422262

Toddy

It will be very interesting to see how it develops. I am not optimistic. There are too many in the region (not just Libya) who seem to like to cause problems. Iran seems to be one of the worst offenders. Bugger.  :(

Toddy

I wonder where Gaddafi is hiding - has he made it to Sirte? I suspect that he is still in Triploi hiding in a hole like a rat.

He ended up in a drain like a rat at the very end.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Nato has announced it's decision to end its mission in Libya on 31 October. Job done.

The end of Gaddaffi and the end of the beginning of a new Libya.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Al Jazeera TV is reporting that Saif-Al-Islam Gaddaffi (a son of the former leader Muammar Gaddaffi) has been captured.

Toddy

Al Jazeera TV is reporting that Saif-Al-Islam Gaddaffi (a son of the former leader Muammar Gaddaffi) has been captured.

Good.

Online dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy

Good.

Not for him it's not.

All NATO have achieved is putting another renegade regime in power >:(

And no I was never a fan of Gaadafi but after the shambles in Iraq it might well be a case of better the devil you know ::)
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Toddy

I'd say that it is too early to say which way Libya is going to go. I am not optimistic, though.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The prime minister of Libya has vowed a fair trial for Muammar Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam after his capture while trying to flee to Niger.

So he's still alive.  :o

Toddy

It'll be interesting if he ends up in The Hague, although I am sure that Libya will want to try him in their own jurisdiction.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
How about a compromise like Abdel Basset Maghrahi? A Libyan court set up in the Hague or a Hague court set up in Libya!

Toddy

How about a compromise like Abdel Basset Maghrahi? A Libyan court set up in the Hague or a Hague court set up in Libya!

Yeh,why not?

Toddy

Libya has announced that the trial will be held........ in Libya.