Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: So What Have You Eaten Lately  (Read 8619 times)

Thaiphoon

Re: So What Have You Eaten Lately
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »

Alfie sadly my culinary skills amount to taking the top off a HP Sauce bottles  ;D , Mrs T is the guilty one , this week end its more home made biscuits
no wonder I need elasticated waist shorts   ;D

Thaiphoon

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 12:29:07 AM »

Mrs T had this tonight , I tried it but way too spicy for me , and I have an aversion to any thing , shrimp, squid , or seafood related

Toddy

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »

Looks tastey.

Toddy

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 12:33:31 AM »

Elasticated waistband shorts are great. I have 10 pairs - all from Phuket. They are just comfy. I am not particularly pom pui.

Thaiphoon

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »

Alfie, sorry I forgot to post that in fact I did buy the same CP Dory fillets and they are on tonight's menu , Mrs T is getting the batter ready as I type this  ;D along with a new wine to try , hopefully assuming Mrs T has gone off the idea of the rat poison and life insurance claim , photos will be along later , if you don't see a post from me again , then an insurance claim is probably winging its way to the life insurance claims office  ;D

brettandlek

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »

Whats the new wine to try? What is your fav tipple?

Thaiphoon

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »

Brett , this one is fairly common here , and ive seen it in a box pack , so I thought I would finally give it a try , from Big C at  299 Baht
looking forward to trying it to night .

my favourite drink has to be Red Wine  ;D

I bet where you are the wine's a lot cheaper  ;D

brettandlek

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »

What type is it?
In red, I dont mind a Pinot Noir every now and then, and the "very occasional" Shiraz but more so enjoy a drop of white.
I prefer a dry white, like a Chardonay (not that I drink that much) but I dont mind the semi-sweet (or semi dry) german lower alcohol german table wines on the odd occasion.
I have some red here on hand for emergency, but never have much call for it.
I find because we eat Thai food here 99% of the time, I just cant do red wine with it, it needs to be white, I used to drink more red before Lek came along.
As for price, would expect to pay around the same for a reasonable drop. You can usually get a 2009 vintage (or two year old at any one time) like a Brown Brothers for around the same price 299 baht = $10AUD but they have much cheaper than that. I bought a nice drop of Chardonnay the other night for $6AUD, just thought, I would give it a try, in fact, hang on, bottle still in bin, i will be back! Ok it was a McWilliams "inheritance" Chardonnay Vintage 2009 and it wasnt a bad drop at all, not that I am an experienced wine connoisseur.
A week or so prior to that I got a bottle of what we call "clean skin" wine (assuming you know this?) you buy it with a clean label and you dont know where it came from, only a wine type and vintage and it would have been like comparing a Stolli vodka with the local made Thai vodka, tasted like vinegar, but I still drank it, vintage 2010.
Thats another thing, all the wines we buy here to the best of my belief have a vintage year, never seen one that hasnt, that is usually a yard stick for the purchase.
I wise man (an ex-employer) had a theory that if it was minimum two years to the year you are standing in, it would be reasonable.
Sorry, went on a bit, another tipple I enjoy now and then is a couple of shot of Baileys (or similar) before hitting the sack as a good night cap.

Thaiphoon

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »

What type is it?
In red, I dont mind a Pinot Noir every now and then, and the "very occasional" Shiraz but more so enjoy a drop of white.
I prefer a dry white, like a Chardonay (not that I drink that much) but I dont mind the semi-sweet (or semi dry) german lower alcohol german table wines on the odd occasion.
I find because we eat Thai food here 99% of the time, I just cant do red wine with it, it needs to be white, I used to drink more red before Lek came along.
As for price, would expect to pay around the same for a reasonable drop. You can usually get a 2009 vintage (or two year old at any one time) like a Brown Brothers for around the same price 299 baht = $10AUD but they have much cheaper than that. I bought a nice drop of Chardonnay the other night for $6AUD, just thought, I would give it a try, in fact, hang on, bottle still in bin, i will be back! Ok it was a McWilliams "inheritance" Chardonnay Vintage 2009 and it wasnt a bad drop at all, not that I am an experienced wine connoisseur.
A week or so prior to that I got a bottle of what we call "clean skin" wine (assuming you know this?) you buy it with a clean label and you dont know where it came from, only a wine type and vintage and it would have been like comparing a Stolli vodka with the local made Thai vodka, tasted like vinegar, but I still drank it, vintage 2010.
Thats another thing, all the wines we buy here to the best of my belief have a vintage year, never seen one that hasnt, that is usually a yard stick for the purchase.
I wise man (an ex-employer) had a theory that if it was minimum two years to the year you are standing in, it would be reasonable.
Sorry, went on a bit, another tipple I enjoy now and then is a couple of shot of Baileys (or similar) before hitting the sack as a good night cap.

B&L

Some interesting comments there , "clean skin" wine that's a new one on me , and I go with the Two year vintage theory , any really decent vintage wine here,  would be around the 400 - 500 Baht range  :(

I have some red here on hand for emergency, I can just see the bottle in a glass fronted case , with a hammer tied to a bit of string
and the words '' Break Glass only in an Emergency''  ;D on the front .

Thaiphoon

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »

Mrs T's latest batch of cookies , with raisins and cashew nuts  ;D

Toddy

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »

Brett , this one is fairly common here , and ive seen it in a box pack , so I thought I would finally give it a try , from Big C at  299 Baht
looking forward to trying it to night .

That's a good price, Thaiphoon. Is it any good?

Thaiphoon

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 09:00:58 PM »

Toddy , The wine was surprisingly decent , fairly soft and not too much tannin . With all my red wines I try and open them and let them breath at room temperature first , I'm now tempted to buy the 5LT box which works out cheaper, the down side is , I know I won't be able to leave it alone  ;D

Ive just had a few beers , and they have all ready gone to my head, I keep seeing bugs  ;D

Toddy

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »

What type is it?

I was working in Sydney a couple of years ago and thought that the wine was quite expensive. Is it more in Sydney than Melbourne, Brett? Maybe it was just the exchange rate - Ozzie Dollar was strong (although not as strong as now.

Toddy

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »

5 litres would knock you out (or maybe kill you). I will have to try that one. We always shop in Big C.

Thaiphoon

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »

5 litres would knock out out (or maybe kill you). I will have to try that one. We always shop in Big C.

I know what would happen, the 5LT box would sit there staring at me , like a moth to a flame , I could not resist its magnetic pull and just had to
finish it off ASAP  ;D

brettandlek

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 06:54:54 AM »

What type is it?

B&L

Some interesting comments there , "clean skin" wine that's a new one on me , and I go with the Two year vintage theory , any really decent vintage wine here,  would be around the 400 - 500 Baht range  :(

I have some red here on hand for emergency, I can just see the bottle in a glass fronted case , with a hammer tied to a bit of string
and the words '' Break Glass only in an Emergency''  ;D on the front .

555 not in a glass case, just in the cupboard in case we have friends who dont mind a drop, or if in the event that I am completely out of grog which is a rare event in my house (trembling at the thought now) maybe i need to put it in a case and do what you thought and post a picture, good task for me.

brettandlek

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 06:59:11 AM »

Speaking of 5ltr cask wines, the one in the link here is readily available for only $14.99 AUD, which equates more or less to 450Bt
Not a bad drop either, but of coarse it wouldnt go in one session.  ::)

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_73557/berri-fresh-dry-white-5l

Dan Murphys is a massive liquor chain here in Aus, Lek doesnt drink so had never been in one, but in november last year we went away over night and i stopped on the way to get a few smirnof double blacks and she came in for a look. She was so excited at how big it was and how much some of the grange cost that she took loads of pictures and put them on her facebook profile, she got loads of comments from friends.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:33:32 AM by brettandlek »

brettandlek

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »

Just eaten "Gai Pad Ped Mummuan "Himapan"
My missus is the greatest  :)

Thaiphoon

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »

Alfie, sorry I forgot to post that in fact I did buy the same CP Dory fillets and they are on tonight's menu , Mrs T is getting the batter ready as I type this  ;D along with a new wine to try , hopefully assuming Mrs T has gone off the idea of the rat poison and life insurance claim , photos will be along later , if you don't see a post from me again , then an insurance claim is probably winging its way to the life insurance claims office  ;D

How was the fish, Thaiphoon?

Alfie , Very nice and now a regular on our shopping list , in fact we call it Alfie's fish in your honour  ;D
Mrs T's first attempt was a wee bit over cooked , but still nice .

brettandlek

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 07:37:58 AM »

Looks yummy.
The ol' bake beans too, a prefect compliment to a lot of meals.
Tasty and good for you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14