Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Affordable food zones in malls next week  (Read 255 times)

Newshound

• Korat-Farang.com
Affordable food zones in malls next week
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »

Major retailers and shopping malls in Thailand have agreed to set up a zone offering inexpensive food items in their food courts upon a request of Commerce Minister Chatchai Sarikalya.

The agreement came after Gen Chatchai met with representatives of Big C Supercenter, Central, Tops, Tesco Lotus, The Mall, Makro and MBK Center on Friday.

Ten popular Thai menus like basil fried rice and noodles fried in soy sauce are to be sold in food shops with "Nu Nit Pha Shim (หนูณิชย์พาชิม)” logo. The cost of each menu must be no more than 35 baht. Only those sold at The Mall and Central can be sold at 40 baht per meal. The four-month campaign will kick off in in Bangkok on Feb 10 and other provinces on Feb 17.

The Commerce Minister stressed that the new food zone must be easy to find and the food quality must meet the standard despite lower prices. The Internal Trade Department will inspect all food shops nationwide to ensure that the prices are not too high.

In addition, Gen Chatchai said the “Low Cost Department” was initiated by the private sector to reduce people's living cost and provide them with alternative food choices . However, the idea should be implemented only in certain areas and should not have negative impact on grocery trade. The idea will be discussed again next week.

NNT
http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNECO5802060010026

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Re: Affordable food zones in malls next week
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »

Ten popular Thai menus like basil fried rice and noodles fried in soy sauce are to be sold in food shops with "Nu Nit Pha Shim (หนูณิชย์พาชิม)" logo. The cost of each menu must be no more than 35 baht. Only those sold at The Mall and Central can be sold at 40 baht per meal.

The project's official logo, the selling point set up inside The Mall's food hall (near the internal water fall that you see in the background) and the relevant menu. My personal opinion: smoke in the eyes. This menu is still expensive.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »

This menu is still expensive.

But cheaper than the other stalls in the Mall's food court. Last weekend I paid 50 baht for rice with 2 toppings. It would only be 40 baht with the new stall. But I suppose it depends how big the portions are. Personally, If I was concerned about money, I wouldn't go to the Mall to eat. There are cheaper alternatives in Korat. Or there was last time I ate there. What are prices like nowadays in Korat?
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »

What are prices like nowadays in Korat?

Where I normally go to have lunch: rice with 1 topping 20 bath, with two 25. It has been so for the last 3 years (previously: 15 and 20). Portions are reasonable and not less than at The Mall. Note that when you choose 2 toppings, portions of each topping are smaller compared to when you take them as a single topping.
Village idiots unwelcome here
Pages: [1]