Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coffee shops just outside The Mall  (Read 965 times)

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Coffee shops just outside The Mall
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »

Besides the three shops already listed here and here, Café De Lor has opened on Mitthapap just opposite the Mall's central entrance (opposite The Pizza Company). There is some narrow sitting room inside, too.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Re: Coffee shops just outside The Mall
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »

Another one, very well reachable by foot, is located in Trok Samorai (the soi that opens just opposite the waterfall). It is called ME-The Season and opened only a few months ago. Walk some 80 m. down that soi, giving your back to the waterfall, and you find it on your right-hand side, on the ground floor of Sirichai Place condominium. It is more spacious then the others listed until now, inside and outside. It is also a restaurant and they advertise selling bread, too.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »

For completeness, there's also Carrent, opposite side of The Mall, past the external parking place, next to Fodo. I tried it twice and cannot recommend it.

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »

Anyone tried the bread from ME-The Season, as detailed above?

Good bread is not easy to find in Korat.

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »

I haven't tried it caller. The best bread I ever tasted in Korat was made by a German man. I don't know if he is still around. Have you tried making your own? Which reminds me, I think it's time I hinted at Mrs Alfie to make some more bread. ;D 
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »

Have you tried making your own?

Passing thoughts only, so far.

The bread place in the Mall is okay, but what I really miss is a baguette that stays crispy on the outside and is light in the middle. The bread in the Mall looks good, but the baguette type loaves, big or small, go soft very quickly. The bread is heavy and a bit rubbery. Not an enjoyable eating experience.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 11:31:52 AM »

Good bread is not easy to find in Korat.

I know that Giuliano, formerly a pizza shop owner in Dan Kwian, is back in business with a wood fire oven downtown Korat, also for bread on demand.

floyd77

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »

The frozen brown bread rolls in Macro are pretty tasty.  You defrost them for 5 -10 mins then pop them in oven to crisp them up for 10 mins. They are awesome with some of gormet meats ham. ;)

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »

The frozen brown bread rolls in Macro are pretty tasty.  You defrost them for 5 -10 mins then pop them in oven to crisp them up for 10 mins. They are awesome with some of gormet meats ham. ;)

I'd forgotten about them - thanks for reminding me. Applied for a card about 3 weeks ago, haven't been back since! I think we have to spend 2000 baht before we actually get the card. Got a reason to go back now!

waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:41 PM »

Thanks Khun Anton who is a coffee lover.
They are all around my house.
Before my house was only one coffee shop in traditional style in this area.
My mother is very old now and ... I'm thinking ... But we need some money to investment.
You will be the first to welcome.
(I'm not sure... when?   8)  )
Long live to long learn

floyd77

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:16 AM »

Hi caller. I have never had a Macro card and have wondered if you get a discount if you use one. ?

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »

Before my house was only one coffee shop in traditional style in this area.
My mother is very old now and ... I'm thinking ... But we need some money to investment.

Waterheart, your house would be a perfect location just outside The Mall, even closer than all of those listed until now. But I think that it must be hard to be competitive around there, you need to think and plan well before investing. Consider that all of shops listed until now are more or less associated with other business activities, yet some of them are struggling to survive from what I can see. And it's not only the coffee you serve that counts, it's also the shop's general comfort and functionality.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 08:08:03 AM »

The shop located inside premises of ERA (see here) is currently closed.

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »

Hi caller. I have never had a Macro card and have wondered if you get a discount if you use one. ?

I've no idea, sorry! Maybe others could answer, or if not, I could let you know in due course. On saying that, when I have used makro in the past, others have been happy for their card to be used, the people behind in the queue for example, so there must be some benefit from using he card apart from being able to shop there. 

Bear

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »

I have had a Macro card for 8 years and find most products are a little cheaper and if you buy in bulk you can save more, also a bigger selections of goods all in one place, I believe there are 2 different cards one for individual's and one for business, My deceased wife got the card for me in my name and don't know how she did it but got it in about 15 min. Bear
If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change.

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »

I've had my card for ten years now. No discounts or benefits except being able to shop there.
Personally I do all my shopping at Macro because of the choice but also stuff seems to be fresher because of the huge turnover they have. I reckon most stuff is the same or even more expensive than the supermarkets though because they tend not to offer the same promotions that the supermarkets do because they have no competition in the market of cash and carry's for the trade.
You have to be prepared to buy in bulk though, for instance you can't buy one tin of beans or bottle of ketchup, you have to buy them in three's.
HL  :D

floyd77

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »

Thanks for reply guys. I also like to shop for some items there.Handy for water , toilet roll etc. The spice section in the corner is very good and fairly cheap  I have noticed the westerner section as greatly expanded recently, which is always welcomed. The last time we were golfing down bonanza, we stopped on at the big Macro food court place. They have a bigger selection of bread and nice cheeses and sausages ,salami's etc and I would recommend if passing that way ,it's worth checking. I have never had a card but have shopped there plenty.

Bear

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

www.siammakro.co.th  All the info you need can apply on line for card 4 Diff. cards, retailer, wholesale and 2 others, web page in both Thai & English Bear
If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »

P'coffee is closed since one week and it will remain closed indefinitely, as I was told today.

yakosey

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

My wife and I tried the coffee shop "I Am" at the Hip Park down the road from the Mall (not really walking distance but plenty of parking) it was a nice atmosphere, plenty of room we indulged in some naughties that were very good, not sure how pricing compares, they have 25% off from 9.30 to 11 (I think) in the mornings. You order at the till and they give you a contraption that buzzes when your order is ready. There are also some restaurants in the same place which in the evening have a nice feel about them, slightly continental?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Despite The Cost of Living It Still Remains Popular "
Pages: [1] 2