Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best bus service Korat to Bangkok  (Read 2722 times)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
Re: Best bus service Korat to Bangkok
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »

OK Swampy but how long does it take to get to Morchit from Don Muang in rush hour traffic ?

20 to 30 minutes on the Korat bus if I recall correctly.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »

This past Sunday I tried Air Korat from Korat to Mochit.

Korat-Bangkok with Air Korat:

Saturday afternoon I passed by their ticketing office at the bus station to make sure the schedule they had given me last year is still valid (see photos in reply #5). I told them I wanted to leave in the morning. Employee at the window confirmed that the schedule is still valid. Not only: she even checked by hand some morning departure times as you see in the photo below, to confirm they are still good. Excellent for me: I opted for the 06:40 run.

Sunday morning woke up early and hurried to arrive at the station at 06:35, just to find out there wouldn't be any 06:40 run. Departure delayed until 07:00. Obviously if a car is almost empty schedule goes to hell. I swallowed the pill and bought my ticket anyway: 191 THB. Bus left at 07:00 sharp with a dozen passengers on board. Very few quick stops on the way including Rangsit and Don Mueang. No detours. Not much traffic anywhere, no queues or jams. But driver was going really slow, even keeping on side lanes rather than on central roadways. Do they have a stricter speed limit policy at Air Korat? We entered Mochit bus station a couple of minutes after 11:00.

Bangkok-Korat with Ratchasima Tour:

Yesterday came back from Mochit to Korat in the evening. As I normally do, went to get my ticket directly at departures for Korat and chose the first one that was leaving, which happened to be a Ratchasima Tour bus. Same price 191 THB. Bus very similar, almost identical service (water, snack, blanket...). Left at 17:35 with 10 passengers on board. Also here, very few quick stops on the way, including Save One and The Mall. In Bangkok, though, a 25 minutes traffic jam before exiting the city. But then the driver went at a more reasonable speed, and we entered Korat bus station at 21:35 anyway.

All in all I preferred Ratchasima Tour: a little faster, better snack (IMHO), bigger blanket. Video screen was on at a low volume in both buses, but even lower on Ratchasima Tour, and while Air Korat kept it on all the way, Ratchasima Tour switched it off after less than 1 hour. The only point on which I preferred Air Korat was their movable footrest, while on Rathasima Tour it was a fixed one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:10:31 AM by Anton »
Village idiots unwelcome here

keemapoot

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 08:54:43 AM »

Wondering if anyone has tried the new Nakhonchai Air 21 service between Korat and Bangkok yet?  It started on the 19th of December, and if it is anything like the service they run between Khon Kaen and Bangkok it will be the best for sure.  They use new Mercedes Benz single deck buses and the seats have massage and TV/game/music screens with speakers built into the head cushions.

I normally drive between BKK and Korat often, but if this service is as good as their other long distance I will start taking it. 

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »

My wife used them to go to and from Bangkok and she says they are good. The seats massage your back and the snacks they give you are better than the others but apart from that I don't know.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »

Wondering if anyone has tried the new Nakhonchai Air 21 service between Korat and Bangkok

Today I was at Korat bus station and took the chance to go looking for that. You probably refer to Nakhonchai Twenty-one นครชัย21, a subsidiary of Nakhonchaitour, sharing same ticket office at the bus station. Nakhonchai Air is a different company with ticket office located almost next to it (photos).

According to sales lady at the window, Nakhonchai Twenty-one busses are now covering 3 routes from Korat: Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Mukdahan. I took photos of respective time tables as hanging outside their office. Bangkok price now set at 191 THB, just like other companies as far as I know. Mukdahan interesting for Savannaket visa-runners if there's still any out there.

I must go to Bangkok by bus at least once by the end of this month: if I try this out I will then report about it.

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »

Anton my wife has used them a couple of times and she said the food they give you was a bit better quality than the other companies and also the electric seats massage your back as you go along. Apart from that I guess it's same, same.
HL ;D

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »

I'd be surprised if Nakhon Chai Air or NC 21 are NOT the best choice.
I've tried and seen the Missis off on the other services - some better than others but they leave much to be desired. Just my observation but these attractive looking 'fabric' seats are just foul - most haven't been hoovered in the 35 (?) year life of the bus. If you can find a 'plastic' seat that is IMO 100% better.
Just pat the seat and clouds of dust arise - lovely.
Any new service sounds worth a try to me. ATB

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »

I'd be surprised if Nakhon Chai Air or NC 21 are NOT the best choice.

You think so because they are new services with new busses? I understand from this topic that Nakhonchai 21 are probably new busses, but what about Nakhonchai Air, how do you know they are new?

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »

Hi Anton - just saying any new service should be better than those existing.
NC21 on a newer Bus for me then !
HL - Massage chairs - sounds good fun. Is that ALL the seats ?
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »

Apparently so Roger, yes.
HL  ;D

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »

Anton thanks for those pics - that's a lot of extra buses on the Chiang Mai route.
I wonder what the fares are Korat - Chiang Mai - standard and VIP.
Very helpful.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »

that's a lot of extra buses on the Chiang Mai route

I don't think that's extra busses Roger, I would rather guess they are the sub-company's new ones replacing the parent company's old ones.

I wonder what the fares are Korat - Chiang Mai - standard and VIP

You can see contact details on the photos.

nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »

I was in Korat earlier this morning & saw those new buses....I was paying more attention to a couple of pretty hostesses in their orange uniform who obviously aim to please
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »

According to sales lady at the window, Nakhonchai Twenty-one busses are now covering 3 routes from Korat: Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Mukdahan.

According to another Nakhonchai Tour employee I met today, however, the above-mentioned information is wrong and Nakhonchai Twenty-one would be serving only Korat-Bangkok for the moment.

Today I did try it from Bangkok to Korat. I will report about it tomorrow.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »

Yesterday I needed to come back from Bangkok to Korat in the afternoon. I had one relatively heavy piece of baggage with me (20 kg). I was at Mochit at 14:35 and went right to the boarding platform as usual. I recognized easily the Nakhonchai Twenty-one bus among all other busses for Korat, at parking no. 68 to be precise. They told me it would leave at 15:00 and there were still seats available for 191 THB.

Bangkok-Korat with Nakhonchai Twenty-one:

As I always do when travelling with some baggage, before buying my ticket I asked them if they would stop to let me down at the entrance of my soi, i.e. on Mitthapap downtown, opposite Chevrolet. I was not asking for the moon as in that spot there's a bus stop for song taeuw and a red pawn shop building with some parking space in front of it. In 8 years I'm living here I never had difficulties in convincing bus drivers to let me down there. After a short discussion with the driver they agreed they would stop to let me down there. However shortly after departure I had a surprise: when the hostess (same lady shown in the photo below) went around taking note of where everybody needed to get down, she told me that I would have to get down at The Mall. Of course I told her, loudly enough for everybody in the bus to hear, that I had already agreed with the driver where to get down, that I had baggage with me and that if I knew it before I would have taken another bus. She answered only with a grimace of annoyance and quickly run to hide away in the front cabin.

Bus left at 15:00 sharp and didn't stop until reaching Save One at 18:05, in favourable traffic conditions, without speeding. It stopped again shortly after the Bypass bridge to let another passenger down, and again by mistake at the junction with Mukkramonti, where nobody got down or up. When approaching the spot where I was supposed to get down I was ready on the front cabin's threshold, telling and showing with my hand where to stop: they passed it and they finally stopped, reluctantly, 200 m beyond, at the bus stop in front of their headquarters, opposite Tesco Lotus. Notice that traffic was relatively light at the moment, shops closed for Sunday, with no hindrance whatsoever preventing them from stopping where I needed, like they had just done for other passengers.

Another disappointment is that they gave me a front raw seat where I couldn't stretch my legs completely. When I realized it, it was too late to change as the bus was full and ready to leave. Now, I don't think it takes genius to avoid putting a relatively tall person in one of those seats. So as far as I'm concerned I cross them out from my future choices, but more for personal reasons than for objective ones.

For a more objective judgement, here are some pros and cons in my view, in order of priority (see photos, too):

Pros:

- Free Wi-Fi working well, individual USB charging point
- Punctual departure, quick transfer
- New seats, comfortable (except front seats for average height men)
- Decent size toilet, bigger than I've seen on other busses, about the size of a train toilet
- New blanket dedicated for those busses only
- Decent snack box (but not much better than on other services)
- Electric massage for those who care, personally I didn't find it to be anything special
- The 191 THB ticket includes a coupon for a 10 THB discount at any Class Café shop, but only if ordering for at least 100 THB...

Cons:

- TV on all the time with usual trashy programs. Volume was low but still an annoying buzz to me. Internet TV connection often disrupted causing (welcome) gaps in the broadcast (photo). At times they were alternating it with some Thai pop songs at a higher volume. All in all a bothering nuisance.
- Hostess' attitude not particularly friendly in general
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:07:20 AM by Anton »

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »

What does it say on the side of the bus, Anton?

Treating you as our .......
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »

What does it say on the side of the bus, Anton?

Treating you as our .......

It's not on my photo Alfie, but in other photos I see online it's "Treating you as our family". I must be their poor relation, then  ;D

keemapoot

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »

As with Anton, I recently tried the Nakhonchai 21 service. I took it from Korat to Bangkok, and a few days later from BKK to Korat. Pretty much agree with most of what Anton said, except that I think it is clearly the best choice now for a few reasons:

1. The buses are all Mercedes single deck, and fairly new so the ride is smoother, safer and doesn't pitch in turns etc..  This makes a big difference if you are working on a laptop or tablet or reading during the trip. Seat belts are new and work.

2. The wifi is a selling point to many, but not in my case as I have a big 4g package.

3. The seat covers are new cloth, and the bathroom is clean, there are no funky smells anywhere, which cannot be said about the other bus services.

4. The trip was faster than other companies - to BKK was 3.5 hours, and return was 3.75 hrs.

5.  There is an advantage when you go from Korat to BKK in getting off at the Nakhonchai Air terminal before Mochit. The taxis are always available and you instantly get into a taxi. Furthermore, the tollway entrance is nearby and you only pay one toll (50 baht) to get into central Bangkok. Getting off at Morchit you have to often wait in queues for the taxis and walk farther, taking more time.

6. They have a membership card (The NCT Card), which allows you to reserve your seat in advance, and I will get one of these cards soon too. This is better than any of the other companies in that if you want to make sure you always get an aisle, window or whatever seat you can do that.

One caveat: you cannot board the bus to go back to Korat from the Nakhonchai Air terminal as with other buses they run. They board exclusively at Mochit, and you buy the tickets at counter 65, 3rd floor, and they depart as Anton said from gate 68.  Always on time departure, which is another higher quality attribute of Nakhonchai.

I think the reason for the name change and other things on this new service is that they had to form a separate company in order to get into Korat for some reason. They were never able to offer service in and out of Korat before, and they probably put somebody on the board with local influence or something, who knows? I did notice the level of service is not up to the gold or first class service they use on their longer distance routes, but for the price and with the upgraded snacks and free wifi, hard to complain.

I will use this a lot in the coming months as I do not want to drive every time back and forth, and I do keep a car in each place, so for me it's a workable option. I still maintain it's the best bus service to/from Bangkok with service every 30 minutes.

BTW, there is new cheap parking on the left side facing the bus station now. You can see if just before you enter the bus station if you are driving from Terminal 21 toward the station. My wife left a car for me there, she parked at 9am, and I picked it up at about 7pm, total cost was 70 baht.  After parking there you just walk straight up to the left side of the terminal and the Nakhonchai 21 service is about halfway up.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 04:03:21 PM »

Thanks for the review with additional pros in favour of this service Keemapoot. Objectively, I agree with you that it may well be the best Korat-Bangkok bus service on the market right now.

Why do you insist on calling it "Nakhonchai Air"? Just a recurring slip or am I missing something? As explained in reply no. 24, with photos, we're talking about a subsidiary of "Nakhonchai Tour".

nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »

Thanks for the review with additional pros in favour of this service Keemapoot. Objectively, I agree with you that it may well be the best Korat-Bangkok bus service on the market right now.

Why do you insist on calling it "Nakhonchai Air"? Just a recurring slip or am I missing something? As explained in reply no. 24, with photos, we're talking about a subsidiary of "Nakhonchai Tour".
Nakhonchai Tour have been operating for many years ,I've used their buses several times sending parcels to Nakhon Sawan form Korat.
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4