Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In memory of Steen, The Odd Viking. You will be sadly missed. Our sincere condolences to Steen's family and friends. 

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Driving to Nonsung I saw this  (Read 1413 times)

KiwiCanadian

Driving to Nonsung I saw this
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »

The other day I was driving to Nonsung and followed this car.
I could not see the driver, as the driver was very short, I could only see the back of the seat head rest, the windows where tinted so I was not able to see in the side mirrors.

I hope most other people don't drive like this. It looks like this one is a good candidate for the population control statistics.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5onIzm1cs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5onIzm1cs</a>

Sorry no sound I deleted my running commentary as I was following this driver.

KC
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Alfie

• Forum Lover
Re: Driving to Nonsung I saw this
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »

It doesn't look too bad to me, KC. Road positioning could be a bit better but reasonable otherwise. What did you think was bad about it?
Nil carborundum illegentium est

sjbrownderby

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »

Most other people don't drive like that. Here in Thailand they are generally much worse.

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »

Have to agree with Alfie, compared to what else I have seen here, this doesn't seem so bad.

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:06:21 PM »

yes most is OK but overtaking on a corner with on coming traffic and then being in the middle of the lane when wanting to turn into another with the pickup coming out the driver is not looking around, no spacial awareness at all.

KC1

gatorsoft

• Even crazier after all these years
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »

I thought I was just obtuse because I couldn't see what was wrong.  Just another day on the road in Thailand as far as I can see.
"I never really thought of myself as a freak...but I love to freak"

ben

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »

TIT,
I 've seen much worse,...

rdrokit

• KFers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »

I wish everyone drove that well in Thailand. They were driving in the correct direction, at a good speed, mostly on their side of the rode and actually used their turn signals.

Pompui

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 01:07:38 AM »

I would guess that it was either:

1. A little old man or lady that passed their test 30 years ago and doesn't see the need to go and renew their licence every 5 years.
2. A kid that is underage and doesn't have a licence
3. A drunk or druggy that thinks that if they follow the lines in the middle of the road then the police won't suspect they are drunk as they won't be weaving all over the road
4. A pilot or someone that has played too many flight sims (airplanes always stay in the middle of the runway)
5. A mother on her way to take/pick up the kids from school, driving with one hand while chatting about the latest wrinkle cream with her friends on Line. (Get it? Wrinkles lines, Line messaging app, road lines. Ok, I'll stop now. Incidentally, I did notice the person actually stopped at a stop sign with a solid white line or maybe they got confused because the lines they were following suddenly turned left and stopped).
Live like you are dying

Hector

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »

Stone me KiwiC, I don't know how long you have been in Thailand, but whoever was driving the car in front of you would have qualified as an advance driving instructor over here!  I agree with the other replies; I see far, far worse almost every day here.

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 10:25:02 AM »

Pompui,

Your number 5 hits that very well as it was the school in Nonsung that the driver was going to.
There is one place the driver stopped but had the right of way, no stop no white line, the other road had the stops signs. But from experience most don't stop on the other cross road.

Hector,
I am afraid that the video does not seem to give the relevant view as when one is close behind the driver, it looked worse when I was behind the car.
Been here almost 4 years now and yes have seen a lot worse but now with the dash cam I can record and post on Youtube. I figure its cheap ins for me just in case I am right.

Bournemouth

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 08:28:08 PM »

It's just a student driving back to Non Sung High School, after having a liquid lunch.

Drove quiet well I thought for a Thai.

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't feel safe riding a bike on any of the main roads in Korat. I don't really feel safe when I'm driving!

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »

Anton,

Unless they are on a Motor scooter the drivers here, especially the ladies have NO spacial awareness.
I tried to teach my wife's daughter to drive, in the end I would not let her drive on the street, just around the local village here in korat. Hopeless at any thing near what I was trying to teach her.

Although she did take a private lesson with one of the local driving schools and did pass her driving test. This to me shows the very low standard of examination here. A couple of months ago I read where there was a suggestion that the government examiners should take a prospective driver for a road test in their car, but the examiners protested that it would be TOO DANGEROUS for them and the idea seemed to die. I rest my case on Driving in Thailand.

Ok I am going to rant here, you can read on or ignore this.

I have been driving for over 51 years, first in New Zealand then in Canada and now in Thailand, I retired in 2009 and lived in NZ or a couple of years, then came to live here where I am still living, but in 2013 I bought a house in Ontario Canada where we are planning on moving to when my wife retires (some time soon). As I bought a house 1/2 way between Ottawa & Montreal it is imperative to have a car to get around. Note I had never had a DL in Ontario only BC & Quebec!
I had a car lined up before I left Thailand and the buyer was waiting for me the week after I arrived. I checked with the Ontario GOV, I need insurance before I can register car, Ok , go to broker show my NZ DL as my Quebec one had expired and he said sorry need Ontario DL. Back to Ontario Gov department, as a New Zealander I had to do the full Driving test, sit the written test,  both road tests, city and highway. Normally a first time driver has to wait 1 year between the tests but as I had been driving for 48 years in Canada they said I could take the tests back to back. Oh I also had to get an ORIGINAL letter from the New Zealand transport department showing the status of my driving record, Phoned the embassy in Ottawa and they gave me a web address in NZ and the next day I had a PDF letter of my record. NZ DOES NOT GIVE ORIGINALS.  I took this to Drive Ontario and the clerk was adamant that she needed an original, I told her she would not get one as NZ does not give original, PDF copies are the only one I would get. After  checking with her supervisor and a call to head office in Toronto they accepted my NZ copy.

I did not mind doing the test as after a few years one does tend to get a little rusty, I even told my examiner, an ex bus driver that as a commercial driver he had to go for updates on a regular basis and we agreed that ALL drivers should have to retest after say 5 or 10 years also similar to airline pilots.

Now the icing on the cake was when I learned that if I was from Australia or the UK then all one needs to do is sit the written exam and one gets their license. I asked why was this as NZ, Awstrailia (that rock of the west coast of NZ) and Poverty Rock next to Europe, all drive on the left side of the road why discriminate against NZ, they did not know the answer. 
To put it in the correct political terms its the NZ immigration policy, or lack of. If you have money you are welcome. The first influx was from Hong Kong when it went back to China, after that it was the Korean's and then the wealthy Chinese. They come to NZ long enough to get NZ citizenship then they are off around the world as Kiwi's. They have defaced the value of the NZ passport. Despicable.

Sorry to rant but just my $0.02 worth
Kiwi Canadian

Hector

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »

I'm speechless..... what a pity some others aren't too!  Phew!

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 04:42:03 PM »

What is poverty rock?  ???

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »

What is poverty rock?  ???

That is what we colonials called the bunch of islands just west of the French and Belgian coasts, or in other words on the west side of the Engrish Channewl ;D

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 10:09:34 PM »

Ah, colonial humour. Yes, that would explain it. We obviously didn't ship out any comedians then!

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 10:24:07 PM »

yes you did, sent them along with the bread snatchers to Awsrtrailia just look at one of the descendants Rolf Harris !!!!!

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Forumphile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »

KiwiCanadian, did you ever read Elizabeth Goudge's 1944 novel "Green Dolphin Country"? If you love New Zealand and good readings, I recommend it. It is largely set in a wild area of colonial New Zealand in the 19th Century. In 1947 it was adapted for the silver screen as "Green Dolphin Street", with great special effects for the time.
Village idiots unwelcome here
Pages: [1] 2 3