Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Justice Farms & Gardens"  (Read 813 times)

Charles

• From Texas to Thailand
"Justice Farms & Gardens"
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »

Thought i would start my new thread here i use to have on KF except with a different name. As i said in post before i have taken this year to test out some farming and raising animals for the enjoyment and also to see if possible any small amounts of money could be made to benifit my family a few years down the road once i hang up the hard hat and work boots from working Oil and Gas Plants International expat work (Construction). I still have a few years to go but this last year has been a nice learning experience and didn't cost much money to experiment. Now with 80 ducks about ready for egg laying, 8 cows, 100 Rhode island red laying hens and 10 turkeys
later i have come to these conclusions. Cows are nice for me to tell the guys at work that i own,,and look nice out there grazing,,use there poop for gardens etc...but that is about it,,,no one eats beef,,,you need 10-15 thousand baht you sell a cow,,that is what Thais do,,all the grazing land i had now has rubber trees (1000) either planted or soon to be, so will be about 15-20 rai of grazing land turned into rubber tree land,,,so would need to cut grass which doing now for feed,,pain in the mornng to take them out and put them back in the evening and feed a few times a day,,i had a worker doing this and just a waist in my opionion,,, so the cows (8) are going,, next is the laying hens,,lovely large brown yoke eggs,, get about 80+ every day,,,the feed is expensive and always going up in price,,440 baht big bag, so when you do the math and sell eggs to local market minus the feed,, the profit is small amount for the trouble,, so 75 hens will hit the fryer or sell soon,, i will keep 4-5 or even less just for the fresh eggs at the house....
Turkey's are pretty cool,, i got them from Saf, Male and 2 females,,have gained 7 and one is sititng on many eggs, soon the females will be at the age to lay eggs,,, so will have many soon,, they eat less and graze alot.. so not much upkeep,, the Turkeys will stay for now.
The Ducks,, same,, there food is 80 baht big bag,,and they graze and love the ponds,,soon will have many eggs as they are getting to be about 6 months old,, will let the Drake daddy pump them and set some aside for raising baby ducks and sell eggs also same as before with chickens,,the difference here is the price of the feed,,,
as soon as the raining season is done i will get this one pond dug deeper and wider,,alot,,then i will test stocking the pond with Tailipien,
and test that,,future also will be a medium size mushroom house,,
the wife is already growing marigolds, roses and jasmine she sell to the ladys in the village for trinkets etc..that is it for now, i hope to post positive and negative on here for information to anyone that may like it or just for giggles,,thanks for you time

Charles

[attachment deleted by admin]
Release the Hounds

Thaiphoon

Re: "Justice Farms & Gardens"
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »

Charles  , wonderful stuff , ive thought about ducks but really don't have the water , I'm currently trying to grow Geraniums but its proving difficult as they never seem to flower. Just a quick chicken question, when my hens lay I remove the egg fairly quickly, do you think there's any benefit in leaving all the eggs un touched until I collect them all .

Charles

• From Texas to Thailand
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:15:41 PM »

thanks for that,
to answer your question i don't think it matters, we normally collect all eggs same time, bag them up in 30's and off to the market in a couple days,,here is a good one i googled the other day,,i bought me a incubator,, so with the turkey sitting on about 8-10 eggs i was curious how many she would lay a year,,it says 18-20,, but,,,,, if you steal her eggs,, say she is sitting on 6,, take 5 or take all,, she will keep laying,, says she will lay 80-100 if your keep taking them,, so that is my plan,,i think,,always keep a dozen or so in the incubator,, i bought one that hold 24,, so will see soon enough,,, glad you enjoyed the photos,, i just read your post on do's and don't,,i am spot on most but one,,,will enjoy posting more here,,thanks

Charles
Release the Hounds

Thaiphoon

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »

thanks for that,
to answer your question i don't think it matters, we normally collect all eggs same time, bag them up in 30's and off to the market in a couple days,,here is a good one i googled the other day,,i bought me a incubator,, so with the turkey sitting on about 8-10 eggs i was curious how many she would lay a year,,it says 18-20,, but,,,,, if you steal her eggs,, say she is sitting on 6,, take 5 or take all,, she will keep laying,, says she will lay 80-100 if your keep taking them,, so that is my plan,,i think,,always keep a dozen or so in the incubator,, i bought one that hold 24,, so will see soon enough,,, glad you enjoyed the photos,, i just read your post on do's and don't,,i am spot on most but one,,,will enjoy posting more here,,thanks

Charles

interesting about the incubator , and stealing the eggs . The reason I asked about removing the chicken eggs as soon as their laid , was I think I heard some where if you leave at least one egg on the nest , it encourages the hen to keep laying  ;D  Do you have Any fish ?

Charles

• From Texas to Thailand
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:45:24 PM »

they will still only lay there 1 a day,, i think in a week normally a hen will lay 6 eggs
i have a larger pond on back of land near mountain bottom,,i had it stocked but i think robber came,,,and also it doesnt hold water as well as one in photo,, so i will turn this one in to a fish pond,,i like the talipen fish,,i think would sell good at market and this pond close to my house and have lights around,,so security better
Release the Hounds

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 01:26:47 AM »

Nice pictures, Charles. Thanks for sharing.

My neighbour keeps a few ducks and chickens. He feeds them rice and other food scraps. Consequently, the birds don't always look very healthy. It's cheap though, I suppose.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

dutchy124

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »

We started off with three goats, two female, one male. We now have 22. We would have had over 30 if it wasn't for dogs killing them some time ago. that has been cured.

We don't do anything apart from some medicine for worms etc twice a year and clean their house once a week. They eat everything in their compound and all look healthy, fit and well.

We also have a few chickens living with them. Where they came from I have no idea.

I don't really know why we have them apart from the fact they are great to watch, especially the kids when they are hopping all over the place.

melyianna

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »

We started off with three goats, two female, one male. We now have 22. We would have had over 30 if it wasn't for dogs killing them some time ago. that has been cured.

We don't do anything apart from some medicine for worms etc twice a year and clean their house once a week. They eat everything in their compound and all look healthy, fit and well.

We also have a few chickens living with them. Where they came from I have no idea.

I don't really know why we have them apart from the fact they are great to watch, especially the kids when they are hopping all over the place.

dutchy! what kind of goats do you have? any interest in selling a couple of kids? what sort of house do you have for them? the raised bamboo type i usually see here in thailand? how big is it? i REALLY want a couple of goats but hubby is worried about our dogs. our dogs are friendly enough with people but i think our lab/rottweiler girls might go after a goat. and we have a male pitbull puppy who would probably go after them too in a couple more months.

i'm so jealous. can you post some pics of your goats? can i come visit them? i LOVE goats. all cross-eyed and evil looking!

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

Just a quick comment on goats.

A couple of years ago, there were quite a few goats in Phimai. I often saw a woman tending them in a field near the main road going out of the town. One day I got out of my car and talked to the woman. She said she was just the 'goat herder' and not the owner. She also told me that the goats were eventually sold and went to Pattaya. IIRC, she said they went to Arab restaurants there. I haven't seen goats here since the bad floods last year but I saw where the goats were kept. It was basically an old run down house with no doors. The goats slept there at night and ate the grass in the field during the day.

I have also seen a handful of goats being kept in Korat city, on Suranarai Road heading towards the Joho crossroads. They were probably pets.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Thaiphoon

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 11:12:10 AM »

Just a quick comment on goats.

A couple of years ago, there were quite a few goats in Phimai. I often saw a woman tending them in a field near the main road going out of the town. One day I got out of my car and talked to the woman. She said she was just the 'goat herder' and not the owner. She also told me that the goats were eventually sold and went to Pattaya. IIRC, she said they went to Arab restaurants there. I haven't seen goats here since the bad floods last year but I saw where the goats were kept. It was basically an old run down house with no doors. The goats slept there at night and ate the grass in the field during the day.

I have also seen a handful of goats being kept in Korat city, on Suranarai Road heading towards the Joho crossroads. They were probably pets.

Alfie, that's interesting about the Arab restaurants .

melyianna

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »

i don't understand why that's peculiar? maybe i'm missing something? muslim restaurants have to get their goat meat somewhere and i doubt they have farm space in pattaya to raises their own?

i've heard there's a muslim restaurant in korat... between ya mo and chinatown. but i haven't been there yet. i hope they have goat.
goat is delicious. i would much rather eat it than so much pork.

Charles

• From Texas to Thailand
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »

Back to the farm
ok, we had the first batch of chics break out of there eggs, put them in the incubator on the 9th and came out on or about the 27 or 28,, i wasn't home but got a photo,,looks like they are being taken care of,, i told here to keep warm, the daughter is really intrigued with them and goes and watches all the time. as of today 15 of 24 hatched, i sure hope to get that rooster i have been wanting,, i am going to place another order soon,,they will mail you fertile eggs in about 1-2 days after the order, in the incubator for 20-21 days,,,then will take about 4-6 weeks to be able to tell if is laying hen or rooster, i have googled some other ways but you have to have a good eye to see there tool...will just wait and see...i am planing on raising them up to sort out M or F then sell the layers,,we sell about 80 fresh eggs a day now at our shop in town so the village loves them, more to come later news,,,thanks

Charles

[attachment deleted by admin]
Release the Hounds

melyianna

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »

very cute! congrats, charles. i hope you get at least one rooster!

i may be interested in a few layers from you. i need to talk to hubby about it. and we'll have to build some sort of enclosure.

how long are you on the farm for?

Charles

• From Texas to Thailand
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »

now back at work Mely and not on the farm. i will wait to see how the chics fair out and once put them out with the adults i will try another 24 in the incubator and give it another go.i believe it was 250 baht for 12 fertile eggs shipped to your address...i had been paying 200 baht + for a 6 month old laying hen ready to lay

Charles
Release the Hounds
Pages: [1]