Korat-Farang.com

Unbeatable discount (Tesco Lotus)

Anton · 38 · 1613

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
currently discounted 45% (not 50% as big signs would suggest)

I am doubtful now: is lotsungsut ลดสูงสุด the same as lotsungsuttueng ลดสูงสุดถึง or not? If not the same, then those yellow signs are misleading advertising. There are currently very few items discounted 50% in those stalls, if you dig well you can find 3 or 4... Normally in these cases they add tueng if I'm not mistaking.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Just showed my wife Anton and she says the notice says "up to" 50per cent off.

HL  ;D

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Just showed my wife Anton and she says the notice says "up to" 50per cent off.

Thanks to you and your wife HL.

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Mini stock of French made strawberry raspberry tarts currently discounted 45%

Now discounted 65%, down to 49 THB each. Over 100 boxes still there this afternoon.

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Same product as currently discounted at Tesco Lotus Bangna (above) and at Tesco Lotus Korat. "Darlie toothpaste salt fresh 140g.X2 (+1 free)", respectively discounted 3% and 37%.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
This was 2 days ago: identical product, same expiry date, sold at 3 different prices.

I had the same experience recently for 2 bottles. Bizarre.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
One more example of Tesco Lotus' iron logic in pricing. These plastic tissue boxes are on sale for 29 THB each, but if you buy 2 you will be charged only... 99 ! It's not the first time I run into such kind of nonsense, i.e. charging proportionally more if you buy more, but this is so blatant.

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Today they opened 2 hours earlier at Tesco Lotus on Mitthapap for a "clearance" sale of 50% discount on Christmas boxes and baskets, plus on some household items. They also give Santa's caps away for free. At 08:00 am it was already quite crowded as you can see from photos I just took there. One more evidence of the huge amount of profit they make on those items (see also reply no. 12). One loud raspberry sneer to whoever bought the same full price in previous days.

From tomorrow until 1 January they will close at 24:00 instead of 23:00.

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Inscrutable practices at the fresh bakery section, Tesco Lotus main branch.

These regular size butter croissants are back after long absence, now on promotional offer at 10 instead of 20 THB a piece. Two days ago in the evening I saw them with my eyes, putting all of the unsold croissants into boxes: production date 14.02, to be consumed by 18.02, new price: 68 THB for 4 pieces. Odd enough. I saw them filling 4 boxes and all 4 boxes are still there unsold until now as far as I know.

Yesterday they put fresh ones out on trays at 10 THB a piece again, with those boxes containing older but costlier ones displayed nearby. Moreover, yesterday evening I was lucky enough to get myself 2 unsold fresh pieces discounted half price, i.e. 5 THB a piece.

Brief: fresher product in 2-piece pack for 5 THB a piece; older product in 4-piece pack for 17 THB a piece  :o

I also noticed that product life span as indicated on boxes is of 4 days, while as indicated on those I bought last night is of 2 days for same identical product as far as I know.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
A great discount, Anton.    :D :D :D

Perhaps they just haven't got around to displaying the new price yet. Too busy with a meeting perhaps?  :o

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Perhaps they just haven't got around to displaying the new price yet

Apparently that was the case. This is what I found tonight when passing by again:

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Don't miss out this 1% discount on crisps, 51 instead of 51.5 THB!

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Tesco Lotus main branch on Mitthapap: unbeatable at discounting or unbeatable at taking the piss at customers?

They now placed a stand of broken helmets in good view in one of the main passages. They all have a broken or missing visor. Discount: 25%.

But in one case they made a great effort. Helmet in photo below, besides the broken visor (see in the red circle), is also lacking almost all internal padding. Good for the garbage. Yet, even this one was initially discounted 25%, but after a second thought they must have felt generous and it is now discounted 45%... So what are you waiting for, if you rush you may still grab it  :D

Offline John Doe

I don't see why anyone would pay 299 baht for a broken helmet when they can buy a complete helmet for 259 baht.

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I don't see why anyone would pay 299 baht for a broken helmet when they can buy a complete helmet for 259 baht.

You're not alone, John. Yet, their slogan remains "Tesco Lotus helps you save everyday" เทสโก้โลตัส ช่วยคุณประหยัดทุกวัน. Perhaps what follows may provide a bit of hypothetic explanation?

At Tesco Lotus, they may be suffering from pernicious hyper-management syndrome at an acute stage. Latest clinical picture would show, among other symptoms, deep alienation or total disconnection from reality, leading to queer behaviour towards the public, perceived as enemy to be fought with all available mean rather than as potential loyal allied.

In support of this thesis, an infiltrated agent recently collected evidence of frequent war councils aimed at making customers' life as hard as possible, and of some war material deployed to that purpose. Allegedly, person circled in first photo would be Chief of General Staff in this war.

In one word: they went nuts. Please handle evidence with confidentiality.

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Photo taken this week in the main branch on Mitthapap. Umpteenth instance of supermarket absurdity. You may remark: "It's an error". I would reply: "If it is one, it's a recurring one".

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Photo taken this week in the main branch on Mitthapap. Umpteenth instance of supermarket absurdity. You may remark: "It's an error". I would reply: "If it is one, it's a recurring one".

It does look odd, Anton, and is probably an error. The Tesco Lotus website has the normal price and 20 baht a bag (for a 62g bag).

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6022110879

But they have 30g bags for 10 baht each: https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6022110895

and 27g bags for 13 baht: https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6075407094
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:24:35 PM by Alfie »

Online Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Photo taken this week in the main branch on Mitthapap. Umpteenth instance of supermarket absurdity.

Update: photo taken today, same Tesco Lotus branch.