Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Used bicycles  (Read 877 times)

Anton

• Forumphile
Used bicycles
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »

Pun Yen (ปั่นเย็น), one of the rare second-hand bicycle shops downtown Korat, has just converted into a small coffee shop called Coffee & Bicycles, with bicycle sale relegated to a secondary business. It's on Chang Phueak Rd, passed Maharat hospital just before Check In. They still have their stock of used bicycles, but hidden away. They claim that their bicycles are imported from Japan. That plot of land is being cleared and offered for rent. What is it with these small coffee shops mushrooming everywhere? Are they so profitable? Hot coffee here starting from 35 THB. Photos below were taken yesterday.

Before buying a bicycle anywhere around here, don't forget reading expert advise by late Mr Hippo:

I'm looking for a bike shop with used bikes in Korat.  Any ideas?
Before I replied to this, I just checked your profile and previous posts so I can give you the best advice; am I right in assumimg that you are female and non-Thai?
I would be very wary about buying second hand - even back home! There is not a huge market here for second hand and those that are available are overpriced. Some used bikes may appear to be a bargain but quite often spare parts for them are unavailable and to replace them would sometimes be more expensive than the original purchase price.
What do you want a bicycle for? How long do you intend to stay here? What size are you? Do you just want it to go a few kms from home to work and back and for shopping?
If you want it for shopping and commuting, I would suggest single speed, alloy wheels, rack and mudguards. Forget mountain bikes - cheaper ones have poor components and are comparatively heavy. Forget buying at a supermarket - you would not but a can of beans from a bike shop, would you?
If you are staying here for a long time, invest in a decent bike, it will last you years and if kept in a decent condition, you will be able to get a lot of the initial cost back. I sold a Trek mountain bike a few years ago after owning it for about 4 years and about 5000kms and got back about 80% of my initial cost.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Anton

• Forumphile
Re: Used bicycles
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 12:53:54 PM »

Pun Yen is still there as a coffee shop. They still keep some used bicycles on display, but mostly they look like they are coming out of a dump.

Can anybody recommend a good second-hand bicycle shop in the city or immediate surroundings? The few I knew about have been disappearing.

I was told there is one in Joho, but have no idea of the name and address. Do those of you who live in Joho have any idea about it?

Or does any K-F member living in Korat have a good bicycle they wish to sell? It shouldn't be a mountain bike, though. I write this here as I don't see the "for sale or swap" topic in the menu anymore.

Administrator

• Administrator
    • Korat-Farang.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »

I write this here as I don't see the "for sale or swap" topic in the menu anymore.

Anton, I've modified the title of this board so it is clearer that it relates to all things shopping including members selling or wishing to swap.

Coolkorat

• Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »

A quick search on Baht Sold produced this: https://www.bahtsold.com/view/trek-emonda-alr-ultegra-racing-bike-302378

Is this the type of bike you had in mind Anton?

I have to say, at b30,500, you could easily get a new bike. Someone (perhaps it was Mr Hippo) posted details of bike shops in Korat. I am sure you can get a current-generation bike for less money!

To put this in context, I went to new bike shop here (https://www.cycle360.com/). Very beautiful with amazing bikes. One had no price attached (POA): turns out it was the team bike for the Tour De France: over £8.5k...

And a beautiful eBike (Pinarello) - £6.5k.....

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »

A quick search on Baht Sold produced this: https://www.bahtsold.com/view/trek-emonda-alr-ultegra-racing-bike-302378

Is this the type of bike you had in mind Anton?

I have to say, at b30,500, you could easily get a new bike. Someone (perhaps it was Mr Hippo) posted details of bike shops in Korat. I am sure you can get a current-generation bike for less money!

Thank you, something like that but with a normal handlebar (better if short), fenders, a rear parcel rack and a front basket; or one that allows adding all of those accessories. I need it for daily chores downtown only, not for leisure or sport. No need of many gears, 5 behind would be more than enough, even 3 would suffice. I annex for reference a photo of my old one that unfortunately cannot be repaired anymore - but I can recover the accessories from it. I had bought it at Pun Yen 6 years ago for 5,000 THB. It has front and back gear but I never used the front ones and rarely the rear ones. Wheels must be at least 26", with smooth tires.

Not easy to find something like that around here, used or new, even in specialized shops. All they offer are mountain bikes (scores of them, God knows why) or racing bikes. When it comes to city bikes there's just a scanty choice of models for women with small wheels, or cheap models always lacking something in the equipment. A racing bike would do if not exaggeratedly expensive and if adaptable to my needs as just described. 30,000 THB is way too much for what I need.

Anton, I've modified the title of this board so it is clearer that it relates to all things shopping including members selling or wishing to swap.

Good idea, thank you.

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »

Hi Anton

Check this link: https://bicyclethailand.com/bicycle-shops-in-nakhon-ratchasima-province-thailand/. There is a lot listed on this site, maybe something close to what you are looking for.

CK

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:51:52 PM »

Anton, I know this is some way off your post, but I hope it is worth posting.

Ebikes are very much in focus. They are VERY expensive, but they do present a realistic alternative to a scooter: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Quick-E-2018-Electric-Hybrid-Bike_113679.htm. With good bike lanes, perhaps they present an interesting option.

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:17:18 PM »

Check this link: https://bicyclethailand.com/bicycle-shops-in-nakhon-ratchasima-province-thailand/.

Thank you, useful link. Almost all the shops I know about are listed there. None of them sells second-hand bicycles except by chance on rare occasions. There are 2 shops I didn't know about in the list: Kimeng and Mad Radar. I will check them out.

dereklev

• Solid Member
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 03:25:49 AM »

Pun Yen is still there as a coffee shop. They still keep some used bicycles on display, but mostly they look like they are coming out of a dump.

Can anybody recommend a good second-hand bicycle shop in the city or immediate surroundings? The few I knew about have been disappearing.

I was told there is one in Joho, but have no idea of the name and address. Do those of you who live in Joho have any idea about it?

Or does any K-F member living in Korat have a good bicycle they wish to sell? It shouldn't be a mountain bike, though. I write this here as I don't see the "for sale or swap" topic in the menu anymore.

Anton, there is a bike shop opposite Nok's Bar in Joho.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »

Thank you Derek, unfortunately I don't know where that bar is, I don't go to Joho very often.

Do you know if they sell used bicycles in that shop?

Perhaps I should have added that used bicycle shops around here don't draw from the local market but import those used bicycles from abroad, namely from Japan. That was the case for Pun Yen and also for another shop downtown that has closed now. Also my old one in the picture above had been imported from Japan, as I was told.

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »

Thank you Derek, unfortunately I don't know where that bar is.

OK found it through their Facebook page.

Bear

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »

I have a bike the same as your picture rear package carrier only no basket but brackets are there, paid 900 Bt and willing to sell for same as I want to upgrade I can deliver  0637637139 if interested   Bear
If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change.

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 05:41:59 PM »

I have a bike the same as your picture

Thank you Bear, I sent you a PM.

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »

I visited that shop yesterday, it's on the main road (Suranarai), it's called Wandi Jakrayan Joho วันดีจักรยานจอหอ. The Thai owner or manager talks good English, I was surprised. He doesn't sell any used bicycles, but he addressed me to a general second-hand items store located on the same Suranarai road, about 3 km down south towards the city, on the other side of the road, well beyond the big Joho crossing into Ban Ko subdistrict.

I went there and found a store similar to the now closed Tokyo Outlet (see here), but very much smaller. It's called Patcharin พัชรินทร์. They advertise selling Japanese second-hand items. Outside, they display a stock of about 70 or 80 bicycles, all with approximately the same characteristics. They are all classic woman style, with varying wheels size but mostly 26"; mudguards; front basket already installed or at least a bracket for it; five speeds behind including many branded "Shimano"; mostly aluminium frames apparently, but some "made in China" are suspiciously heavy. Some are also equipped with a rear parcel rack. In short, "shopping" bicycles in fairly good conditions at a reasonable price for the aluminium ones (he told me a fixed price of 2,500 THB for anyone of them). Unfortunately for me, that classic style is not at all what I'm looking for.

I annex a Placemark for Patcharin store. Phone numbers on display outside are: 098-4545699, 080-8487496 and 061-6942174.

Anton

• Forumphile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »

Check this link: https://bicyclethailand.com/bicycle-shops-in-nakhon-ratchasima-province-thailand/.

Thank you, useful link. Almost all the shops I know about are listed there. None of them sells second-hand bicycles except by chance on rare occasions. There are 2 shops I didn't know about in the list: Kimeng and Mad Radar. I will check them out.

I checked those two shops. Kimeng is no longer there or the given location is wrong. Mad Radar is a nice shop but with only the usual models you find everywhere.

The first shop in the list, Beazebob, is no longer located inside Hip Park. They have two branches in Korat now, one on Jomsurangyard near the junction with Yotha, one inside Central Plaza. Unfortunately also Beazebob is another nice shop but with only the usual models you find everywhere. Hip Park, by the way, has died out completely. It seems most of the shops inside there are closed by now (see here).

These days I checked all bicycle shops I know in Korat. I couldn't find a single used bicycle matching my requirements. Among new bikes, I found only one model apparently suitable for me, a Fuji hybrid at Korat Wandi Jakrayan, near the old bus station, the fourth shop in the list. Price of that bicycle is over 16,000 THB. The lady shop owner there speaks good English. She is the only one honest enough to warn me against buying a bicycle of the wrong frame size for me: they are generally all too small here for people over 175 cm. Her Fuji would be the right size, but it comes without any accessory at all and she couldn't guarantee that I would be able to fit my old accessories on it.

At the end I decided to replace the parts of my bike that couldn't be repaired: rear wheel hub, rear derailleur and cassette, chain, gears cable. It was done this morning for 1,850 THB in a shop that is not on that list, Jompol Bike on Chomphon Rd near the City Pillar (they are on Facebook).

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »

That's a good outcome Anton - your devotion to your trusty steed is exemplary indeed. I do 80 km a week or more on my bike which I rescued from the tip (in the UK) when a neighbour was about to ditch it ! That was 10 years ago . . . . . An F.O.C. bargain  ;)

It's had a new chain, gears etc over the years at reasonable cost here and the front tyre new then, has lasted all that time - Schwalbe Marathon Plus (expensive but puncture proof).

I frequently ride to Laem Sing from Chantaburi - my bike, lack of a helmet and lack of a fancy uniform make me stand out a bit from the hordes of fully kitted Thai riders on their megabaht monsters.

So many households have rusting bikes lying around - what a waste. We don't chuck the car out when it needs a new exhaust pipe or something, do we ?

waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »

Who has unused bicycle , please donate to me  ;D
Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]