Korat-Farang.com

Two ice rinks for Korat?

Alfie · 63 · 1854

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The new Terminal 21 when it's finished will supposedly have an ice-rink (as was discussed here).

Now it appears that the Mall is also going to build one in (or and) something called Ice Planet - at an investment of 50 million baht.

Will there be enough interest or customers for 2 similar places in Korat? Will it lead to the failure of them both? Or will they complement each other?

[attachment deleted by admin]
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Pompui

First bowling alleys (a long time gone) and now ice rinks, only time will tell but I reckon at least one of them will be gone after a few years. I'm told that the mall are slowing down construction of their extension so that they open nearer the time of Terminal 21 opening in the hope that people stick with old faithful and shun the new kid on the block.
Live like you are dying

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
That's interesting. I was told it's on schedule? I don't really think the Mall see T21 as competition, in the sense they aren't a department store, although it's obviously competition for retail outlets. I'm curious to see if it replicates T21 at Asok, where it's mainly smaller, individual type retailers, who get away with high prices because of it's location and who it attracts. It's going to be different in Korat. I think there's generally a good relationship between the two Co's, after all, just as in Bkk, The Mall will be the supermarket provider.

Online KiwiCanadian

Time to start a Thai version of the NHL.
Say one team the "Maple Leaf's" & the other the "Habitants", Anton you should know who these teams are??

KC
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Say one team the "Maple Leaf's" & the other the "Habitants", Anton you should know who these teams are??

Toronto and Montreal?
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online KiwiCanadian

Yes sir 100% correct, you get a rink side seat for that:-)
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
First bowling alleys (a long time gone) and now ice rinks,

Yes, I remember those days. Klang Plaza and the Mall.

I reckon at least one of them will be gone after a few years.

I think so, too. I think one would see good business. Two will mean they both fail.

I'm told that the mall are slowing down construction of their extension so that they open nearer the time of Terminal 21 opening in the hope that people stick with old faithful and shun the new kid on the block.

The new building at the Mall is supposed to be finished on 29 September, Terminal 21 in October and Central in March next year.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:28:45 PM by Alfie »

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
And even worse than 2 ice-rinks for Korat will be 3 cinemas for Phimai!!! Tesco and Big C are now building new supermarkets in Phimai and apparently they will both have movie theatres. Added to the one there already is in Phimai, that will be three. It seems like overkill to me.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
The new building at the Mall is supposed to be finished on 29 September, Terminal 21 in October and Central in March next year.

Where di you find that picture Alfie?

3 cinemas for Phimai!!!

Any chance one of them will be a art house cinema?  :P

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Where di you find that picture Alfie?

My wife found it on a Facebook page. I don't remember which one.

3 cinemas for Phimai!!!

Any chance one of them will be a art house cinema?  :P

I doubt it.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

Opening of Terminal 21 has been postponed to December 2016 according to a Thai friend of mine who will be running a small shop inside there.

Offline Morphy

The Thai manager of Starbucks told us that they are moving in to the New Starbucks on September 28th or 29th (can't remember which), also said there will be 3 Starbucks, 1 in the Mall, 1 in Terminal 21 and 1 in Central Plaza.

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
And even worse than 2 ice-rinks for Korat will be 3 cinemas for Phimai!!! Tesco and Big C are now building new supermarkets in Phimai and apparently they will both have movie theatres. Added to the one there already is in Phimai, that will be three. It seems like overkill to me.
Quite strange Tesco's are building big in Phimai when they have very little presence in Buriram (just the small Express store near the bus station)
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Online Pompui

Tesco's are building big stores in Phimai, Chok Chai and Jo hor. Jo Hor and Chok Chai should be ready by the end of the year. Not sure about Phimai.
Live like you are dying

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
The new building at the Mall is supposed to be finished on 29 September6

New wing opened today as announced. Last few days frantic works all along the front, old and new, and on the pedestrian bridge for new decor and putting signs up, with several cranes working at same time.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Formal opening is Saturday week, the 8th.

Any special promotion foreseen on that day, that you know of, Caller?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Now it's possible to hazard an answer to the question in the OP: "Two ice rinks for Korat?" YES, unless Terminal 21 will change their plans... The Mall's new wing will include a rink on 3rd floor, not finished yet. I wonder if the Terminal 21 management wasn't too rash in announcing about their ice rink project already last year. Like offering the idea on a silver plate to The Mall's management...

But if the question was: "A much needed additional pedestrian bridge on Mitthapap downtown?", then unfortunately the answer would be NO until now, as there are no traces yet of any works starting for a second flyover outside the new wing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:00:13 AM by Anton »

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Formal opening is Saturday week, the 8th.

I don't know if the ice rink will be open by then, but you can still take your children for a train ride or to have fun at the Lego square. You jump on the train on 2nd floor outside S&P restaurant at the junction between old and new buildings. The Lego square is on ground floor of new wing, near that wing's main entrance.