Korat-Farang.com

Two ice rinks for Korat?

Alfie · 64 · 1976

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Prices and conditions for accessing Snow & Ice Planet (The Mall's ice rink resort) were displayed yesterday. Opening day tomorrow, when "it will snow in Korat for the first time" according to advertisement.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline geNe

1 hr for 280thb? By the time you try your boots size, rent it out, buy your socks etc... and the time taken to return... will probably eat up your 20mins i think...

Do they have a full day pricing? or can we buy using hours like 280thb x XXhrs?

Anyone knows?

Offline KiwiCanadian

Well now I will be getting plenty of SNOW this winter here in Eastern Ontario, just 1 hour drive from the Laurentian Ski resorts.
I just purchased a season pass at one of them for $300.00 CAD valid Monday thru Friday, no weekends. You don't want to be around in the weekends as 1/2 of Montreal gravitates to the Laurentian Ski resorts.

So by the time we return to KoratI will have had my fill of the white stuff and never want to see it in Thailand.
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
you can still take your children for a train ride or to have fun at the Lego square

More children attractions newly opened at The Mall:

- Junior Jump for children 90 to 140 cm tall (2nd floor new wing)

- Rope Course for kids 105 to 150 cm tall (2nd floor old wing, outside Winner furniture store)

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
But if the question was: "A much needed additional pedestrian bridge on Mitthapap downtown?", then unfortunately the answer would be NO until now

Now they aligned hundreds of flowerpots on the median strip there, probably also to prevent pedestrians from trying crossing hazardously (let them walk!).

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
The Snow Town, although  sharing a common entrance, is a private operation and not run by the Mall as is the ice rink. There used to be one at Gateway in Bkk and if it's anything like that, it will have artificial snow, toboggan slides and so on.

I'm in Korat at the moment and I'm quite impressed by the new Mall. A little sense of deja-vu today as much of what was going on is the same as at the opening of Bluport in Hua Hin last Saturday.

The kebab farang stand seems very popular, it's good that a local business that had a van and appeared at fairs has taken the big leap to rent in the Mall.

But I recall HL saying the lady who runs a burger stall at the Dusit night market was going to be in the Mall as well, but I haven't seen her.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
1 hr for 280thb?

Plus 100 THB for boots and jacket, and that's still uninclusvie of ice skates, which I suppose will be rented inside to rink users only (?)

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
1 hr for 280thb?

Plus 100 THB for boots and jacket,

Two adults and a child, over 1100 baht for an hour at weekends, 980 on weekdays. I told my wife the prices, she said she'll try it once.

and that's still uninclusvie of ice skates, which I suppose will be rented inside to rink users only (?)

I'm sure the "boots" include the 'skate' parts, Anton. I've been ice-skating in the UK and the blades are fixed to the boots.

By the way, will it be real ice on the ice-rink? I ask because I've been to an ice-rink in Bangkok and I'm pretty sure it wasn't ice but some synthetic material.
'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I'm sure the "boots" include the 'skate' parts

No Alphie, they are common rubber boots as in the first photo taken there today. The second photo shows skates they are using inside now.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I suppose the boots are for people who want to walk around on the ice rather than actually skating.

Did you go on the ice, Anton? (Are those your photos?)

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
The Snow Town, although  sharing a common entrance, is a private operation and not run by the Mall as is the ice rink. There used to be one at Gateway in Bkk and if it's anything like that, it will have artificial snow, toboggan slides and so on.

I'm in Korat at the moment and I'm quite impressed by the new Mall. A little sense of deja-vu today as much of what was going on is the same as at the opening of Bluport in Hua Hin last Saturday.

The kebab farang stand seems very popular, it's good that a local business that had a van and appeared at fairs has taken the big leap to rent in the Mall.

But I recall HL saying the lady who runs a burger stall at the Dusit night market was going to be in the Mall as well, but I haven't seen her.

If you look back at that original post caller you will see that I added another post saying that the mall required her to sign a three year contract and she didn't want to tie herself up for that long, not knowing how things are going to be once terminal 21 and central plaza have opened. She has now opened an all day burger shop on the road opposite the Pegasus hotel and then opens in NBK market about 8pm.
HL  ;D

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
If you look back at that original post caller you will see that I added another post saying that the mall required her to sign a three year contract and she didn't want to tie herself up for that long, not knowing how things are going to be once terminal 21 and central plaza have opened. She has now opened an all day burger shop on the road opposite the Pegasus hotel and then opens in NBK market about 8pm.
HL  ;D

Ah, okay  HL, must have missed that. Thanks for the clarification.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I suppose the boots are for people who want to walk around on the ice rather than actually skating.

Did you go on the ice, Anton? (Are those your photos?)

Are they not for use in 'snowtown'?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

That's what I think too. I doubt they would allow non-skaters to enter the rink. Bottom line is: we still don't know how much they charge for renting skates.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
1 hr for 280thb?
Plus 100 THB for boots and jacket

Correction: there's NO extra fee for boots and jackets! Misunderstanding caused by a wrong English translation: they translated "deposit" ค่ามัดจำ into "rental". Who will tell them now?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
By the way, will it be real ice on the ice-rink?

It's real ice being resurfaced every 90 minutes during a 30-minute break. This according to their Website, where you find also pricing conditions. Still no mention of skates rental fee, thus I suppose they are included in The Rink's entry fee. They do rent out some "skating aids" as shown in first photo below.

The Snow Town, although  sharing a common entrance, is a private operation and not run by the Mall as is the ice rink.

Actually the company running the rink seems to be The Rink Ice Arena, already present in 4 other locations in Thailand as you can see. Prices and session hours indicated on their site differ from those already advertised for Snow & Ice Planet as per photo in reply no. 21, so I guess they are 2 separate businesses, each with its own different fees and conditions. What shown in reply no. 21 probably applies only to the playground part. That sign with the translation mistake wasn't there anymore today.

The Rink offers:

- Sessions of 60 or of 90 minutes, respectively 220 and 250 THB
- Daily sessions for 600 THB
- Half- and full-year passes, respecitvely 12,000 and 20,000 THB
- Skating courses
- Bumper car sessions

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Additional kids attractions for all ages in the Wonder Planet section, third floor, former Home Pro area next to MCC Hall. They include:

- Dino Planet playground
- Interactive Planet virtual playground (?) with also a small virtual beach inside
- Jump Planet
- Lazer Planet

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I went ice-skating yesterday. It was great! It cost me 220 baht for an hour, which was enough time for me.  Skates and helmet were included in the price. (90 minutes would have cost 260 baht.)

You can see below that you can also pay 600 baht for an all day ticket, 12,000 baht for 6 months and 20,000 baht for a year.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru

Yes, they are.

At the moment, Snow-town isn't fully completed so prices are reduced to reflect that (from 240 baht to 160 baht). From what I could see, only the snow-slide is open so kids spent their 45 minutes walking up the steps and sliding down the ice. They certainly seemed to be enjoying it.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Skates and helmet were included in the price

Helmets weren't there the first few days, they introduced them yesterday or the day before I think.

At the moment, Snow-town isn't fully completed so prices are reduced to reflect that (from 240 baht to 160 baht).

I see now why they removed the price list.