Korat-Farang.com

Beef steak

Alfie · 11 · 313

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I'm looking for restaurants that serve decent beef steaks; preferably good fillet steak (tenderloin) but something else like a T-bone might be OK at a push. So, where's good these days? 
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Wizard

New York Steak House Marriott on Sukhumvit. You'll love it!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks for your reply, Wizard, but I meant in Korat, not Bangkok or Pattaya or anywhere else that far away.   :)

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
The Thai concept of a beef steak is somewhat different to a western one Alfie so I doubt very much whether you will find a good steak in a non tourist area like Korat.
Having said that I was recommended a very small restaurant dead opposite the Walrus bar a few years back. Apparently the restaurant was opened when the Vietnam war was ongoing and there were plenty of Americans in town looking for a steak meal. We went and tried and I don't think the place had changed since them days and had many sixties memorabilia on the walls. Anyway the steak I had was highly palatable and I would recommend you try it but this was a few years ago and I don't know if it is still open.
HL  ;D

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
The Thai concept of a beef steak is somewhat different to a western one Alfie so I doubt very much whether you will find a good steak in a non tourist area like Korat.
Having said that I was recommended a very small restaurant dead opposite the Walrus bar a few years back. Apparently the restaurant was opened when the Vietnam war was ongoing and there were plenty of Americans in town looking for a steak meal. We went and tried and I don't think the place had changed since them days and had many sixties memorabilia on the walls. Anyway the steak I had was highly palatable and I would recommend you try it but this was a few years ago and I don't know if it is still open.
HL  ;D

Speaking about The Walrus they are closed at present although I have heard it will open again in May. There I used to eat a Blue Steak which was rather nice, cost Thb 395. Of course Chez Andy is know for good steak but I have never tried it.

Online dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
HL  ;D

A couple of years ago this restaurant moved to the Soi behind the Raya Grande Hotel. If memory serves me well it is called Uncles. I too don't know if it is still open.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
Chez Andy has some goo beef steaks but they are not cheap.

http://www.chezandykorat.com/

If you want to buy some good steaks and cook them yourself the check out Gourmet Meats. Darin, from Australia is a great butcher.
Open: Monday - Saturday 08:00 - 17:00
Tel: Matt 083 380 6133 (English), Toor 087 959 3931 (Thai)
Address: 2242/6 Mookamontri Road, Nai Muang, Korat (near the Sima Thani Hotel)

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
HL  ;D

A couple of years ago this restaurant moved to the Soi behind the Raya Grande Hotel. If memory serves me well it is called Uncles. I too don't know if it is still open.

Thanks HL and Derek for reminding me about Uncle Steak restaurant. I ate there a few times in the old location. The steaks were OK and the decor was interesting to look at. I'll look for it in its new location.

Chez Andy has some goo beef steaks but they are not cheap.

http://www.chezandykorat.com/

Thanks rdrokit. I'll keep it in mind.

Offline floyd77

Lecker Lecker does a decent fillet steak.He ages it himself and does a nice gravy sauce . 350 bht

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I wonder what everyone regards as a good steak? For me, it's a T-bone, not too fatty, cooked medium rare at the very most and with no sauce or gravy!

I want mine with a side of chips, not fries, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms with either Dijon or French mustard.

A caramelised steak, infused with Dijon mustard whilst cooking is heavenly.

Online Pompui

I saw a sign, in English, the other day that said Tony's burgers and steak. It was outside a place that is on the U-turn for going back to Bangkok just before Sima Thani. Basically it's opposite the BMW dealership. Has anyone tried it?
Live like you are dying