Korat-Farang.com

Nakhon Ratchasima FC - The Swatcats

Roger · 1483 · 36734

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
The Swatcats welcome struggling Navy FC in this midweek fixture (Wednesday 12th September KO 19.00 hours, TV coverage Truesports HD4). This should be a bolt on 3 points for the home team and those 3 points could be vital in the Swatcats survival quest.

Thaiwolf prediction; Home win

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I was following the game on Flash and saw we were 0-1 down -  >:(

Then just before an early night 1-1  ;)  with 10 minutes to go.

Oh happy wake up  :)  2-1

I'd thought from your reports that Assumpcao had some goals coming !

(BTW - views up to 13,550 - keep up the good).
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
Dateline 12th September 2018

FT NRFC 2 Navy FC 1

Attendance; 1465

In a distinctly miserable and wet midweek evening, strugglers Navy were the guests.

The visitors opened brightly, out passing the home team and looking dangerous moving forward. They seemed to be coping better with the sodden pitch but were nearly shocked in the 6th minute when a long range Antonio Pina free kick went inches wide.
The Swatcat defence was opened up in the 11th minute when a cross found Amadou completely unmarked in the 6 yard box - there was no defender within 3 yards of him!!! He slid the ball under Cunningham to give Navy an early lead.

In the 20th minute the Swatcat defence was again ruthlessly exposed when Caton broke through, unbelievably with only the keeper to beat he shot wide from 6 yards - what a let off!!

As the half progressed the hosts were unable to exert any dominance and indeed, Navy looked the more accomplished side.

The second half saw the Swatcats seemingly determined to overturn their first half deficit and in the 49th minute, after some fine interplay, Akekanat was just wide with a drive. A minute later Pralong Sawandee put in a delicious cross for Assumpcao to hammer home the equalizer.
The home team now began to dominate as Navy wilted and with almost constant pressure and several fine passing movements, it seemed only a matter of time before the winner would come.

The hosts went close with a diving header in the 60th minute then Pina tested the keeper with an in swinging corner as the Swatcats pressed. Pralong Sawandee then drew a fine save from the keeper with a swerving free kick.
The chances continued to come as Ekkachai broke forward and only a fine save from his drive prevented a second goal and minutes later another long range free kick from Pina whistled past the post.

Navy caused a solitary moment of panic in the 92nd minute when the ball ping ponged around in the 6 yard box following a corner but the hosts survived and finally the inevitable happened when Jakkit poked the ball home from a sublime cross by Pralong Sawandee to give the hosts a deserved lead.

A real Jekyll and Hyde performance from the Swatcats tonight but in reality safety from the drop has been achieved. An inept and depressing first half performance where in reality they should have been two nil down was followed by a fine domineering display leading to a vital three points.
The importance of this victory was brought home as coach Joksic sank to his knees in the mud as the second goal went in and we can now all relax with 5 games to go and safety assured.

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
The Swatcats enter Klong Toey to take on erratic Port this weekend (Saturday 15th September, (KO 18.00 hours, TV coverage TBC).

This is a difficult one to call. Port’s recent form has been suspect and I consider that the Swatcats could snatch a win.

Thaiwolf prediction; away win.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Thanks TW. Flashscore put both goals down to Assumpcao ?

BTW I saw Chiang Rai on TV - they could be hard to handle in the semi on the 19th  ::)

Crowd 1465  ???  ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
Confirmed, the Port v Swatcats match will be shown live on Truesports HD3.

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
Dateline 15th September 2018

FT Port FC 4 NRFC 0

Attendance; 2040

The Swatcats were the hosts at the PAT Stadium this weekend and with one eye on next Wednesday’s semi final one wondered whether the men in orange would be giving 100% today.

The Swatcats rested Assumpcao, Lee and Pina although Skipper Chalermpong and T May T made a welcome return. Marinkovic and Malaysian Shahrel Fikri were given rare starts.

Port opened brightly and were causing early panic in the Swatcat’s defence. In the 18th minute Cunningham was forced to save from an angled drive as Port continued to press.
This was now becoming one way traffic with the visitors sitting deep as Port controlled possession. Cunningham was again called into action in the 31st minute when he saved a rasping drive, minutes later he tipped over brilliantly to keep the scores level.

As half time approached one thought that it was only a matter of time before Port broke the deadlock - but amazingly the Swatcats went into half time on equal terms.

The second half commenced with Port immediately on the front foot and they were awarded a penalty in the 46th minute when Chanatphon fouled in the area. Rochela converted the spot kick to put Port one up.
The visitors nearly went two down on 50 minutes when a beautifully crafted Pakorn lob evaded Cunningham and struck the bar. The Swatcats then spurned a great chance to equalize in the 63rd minute when no one was able to connect with a cleverly floated free kick.
Port went two up when Suarez smashed in from 12 yards on 77 minutes and Cunningham again saved well in the 86th minute as Port searched for a third. The visitors chased the game bravely but were unable to threaten the Port goal.

As the game drew to a close a clever curling shot from Siwakorn put Port deservedly three goals up and in a final blow for the visitors Bordin cracked in a fourth in the 90th minute to end a wretched night for the men from Korat.

A much modified team selection did not really work tonight. Although, as usual, the defence fought bravely, there was nothing on offer up front and if Port had been a little sharper in front of goal, especially in the first half, this could have been a highly embarrassing defeat.
We will need much more than this if we are to compete in the semi-final against Chang Rai.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
TW thanks for the report. I'm sorry to say that from the 3 games I've seen this season and performances latterly, the Swatcats have had this coming.

Good luck against Chiang Rai who look very strong to me - same Pattaya  ;)

Mai pen lai - we are safe now. I hope we have a new coach next year so that the Swatcats can compete other than in desperate defence.

So now I've been so negative - Swatcats will beat Chiang Rai  ::)

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
They were truly awful yesterday Roger – no shots on goal. I too fear the worst in the semi-final.

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
If we finish 8th Roger, Joksic will be retained as coach. Some might even argue that we have exceeded expectations. If we reach the league Cup Final he will be perceived as a hero.

I do however agree with you that if we want to really move on from a perpetual 8-10th place team, we need a change.

I somehow doubt that there is real ambition from those in charge.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I do however agree with you that if we want to really move on from a perpetual 8-10th place team, we need a change.

I somehow doubt that there is real ambition from those in charge.

Who is responsible for scouting and buying new players? Is it the manager or those above him? If the latter, I guess he can only do what he can with the materials provided? He might be helping them punch above their weight!

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
Hi Caller,
           Thanks for your contribution.

Let me kick off by saying that I am more than happy to be a mid table Premier League team - my expectations probably tempered by the fact that when I started supporting them, they were a third tier team and my dream was always that they would one day become a Premier League team.

You could be right about Joksic. I think he does well with the players at his disposal. My view is that most of our players are of average ability - but they work hard.

8th place and a semi-final appearance are way above most people’s expectations. At the start of the season I considered them to be the 5th worst team in the league.

Regarding transfers, I have no inside information. I guess Joksic has target players, then agents get involved then if the club can afford the player’s wages, the player will be signed.

I am also guessing that the team’s budget is pretty tight, so unless we are lucky enough to obtain a sugar daddy, we will not be able to enhance the squad significantly so mid tale obscurity will be our future lot.

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
In possibly the biggest day in the Swatcat’s history, the team takes on Chang Rai United in the semi final of the Toyota League Cup this week (Wednesday 19th September at Supachalasai Stadium, Bangkok, KO 19.00 hours, TV coverage TBC).

The Swatcats will be the underdogs in this tie and a win would be a real bonus and just reward for a battling season for the men from Korat. I am afraid that I think Chang Rai might be just too strong and that they will progress to meet the victors of the Buriram/Bangkok Glass semi in the final.

Online Thaiwolf

• Solid Member
Looking forward to Wednesday’s semi - travelling up tomorrow.

Limited expectations and the reality is that whoever wins, will get beaten by Buriram in the final but miracles do happen in football…….don’t they!!

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Yes miracles do happen - in 1969 - swinging from a beam at the Arsenal end - I saw Swindon beat Arsenal 3-1 in the league Cup final  :o

The incomparable Mr Donald Rogers in charge as usual . . .

Good luck in BKK and I hope the Swatcats put up a good show  ;D