Korat-Farang.com

Nakhon Ratchasima FC - The Swatcats

Roger · 1870 · 61852

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
Victory today against Rayong will put the Swatcats 5 points clear of the bottom three.

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
Dateline 27th December 2020

FT NRFC  2 Rayong FC 0

Attendance; Fans not allowed to attend

Could the Swatcats make it three successive wins as struggling Rayong were tonight’s opponents.

Tonight's lineup gave Gidi Kanuk his debut but no Dennis Murillo who is injured. The debutant almost made a dream start when he shot inches wide in the 5th minute.

In an otherwise sterile half, neither side created a single chance between them until the 47th minute - when Kanuk pounced to put the Swatcats one up. At half time this certainly had the feel of a relegation battle between two decidedly average sides.

The hosts began the second half brightly, perhaps boosted by their first half goal and Kanuk forced the visiting keeper into a superb save with a rasping 22 yard free kick. Minutes later, as the hosts pressed, Kanuk again went inches wide.

On fire now with Kanuk running the show, the Israeli slid yet another drive just outside the post as the Swatcats overran their opponents. To end a dominant second half performance, the hosts scored a deserved second in the 89th minute with a fine solo goal from Amadou.

Well 9 points from the weakest three teams in the league. Very encouraging but the first half illustrated what a poor side we are. Kanuk looks useful but the defence at times was a shambles with opponents often given free range without marking inside the 18 yard box.
I am beginning to think that we probably have enough to avoid the drop but better teams will continue to tear our defence apart. 30 goals against is the worst record in the league but I detect no ambition to plug the gaps.

Playing without an out and out striker and simply lumping long balls forward, as the hosts did for most of the first half, did not seem to be the most prudent of tactics. In fact Rayong looked the better of two poor sides during the first 45 minutes. During the second half, the Swatcats seemed far more confident and adventurous and looked dangerous and with Kanuk running the show and they basically outplayed the visitors

We've found a gem in Kanuk. Three on the bounce, relegation worries, what relegation worries!!

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
No TPL fixtures next weekend. New Year break apparently??

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
14 day quarantine required for entry to Buriram province puts TPL season in further doubt after sports venues in Bangkok forced to close.

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
The Swatcats are scheduled to play Chonburi Sharks next weekend (saturday 9th January KO 1830 hours), however there is no confirmation as yet whether the game will be played.

Thaiwolf prediction: Draw

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
Rumours are circulating that the TPL will be suspended until at least 1st February. I will post when confirmed.

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
Confirmed, there will be no TPL matches played in the month of January.

Expect further suspensions if virus situation deteriorates.

Online Thaiwolf

• Forum Sage
One can only hope that the ban on matches only lasts one month however the current situation bears canny resemblance to last year’s situation with promises of an early resumption, I suspect that the ban will continue into February march and beyond.

Looking around the globe, one sees that other countries have managed to continue playing with innovative methods and forward planning. Talk of bubbles and games being played behind locked doors in Thailand is being banded around and is laudable however it won't happen as this would require some proactive preplanning from the FAT - enough said !!!

My main fears concerning the break are twofold. First the financial implications: Many clubs, who surely must be just clinging on financially, now may be at breaking point exacerbated by a potentially long break. Lack of income from gate receipts coupled with the inevitable lack of interest from sponsors must be leaving club’s coffers pretty low.

My second concern is that another break will have an adverse effect on attendances. I have to admit that during the last break, my own personal interest and enthusiasm waned and although I have not studied relative attendance figures throughout the league, anecdotally at Korat games, which in past seasons would have attracted 11 or 12 thousand fans, now struggle to attract 4 thousand die hard supporters. The oft used adage 'out of sight out of mind" springs to mind, the game is quietly hemorrhaging fans and I suspect that fans once lost will not return.

In conclusion, fingers crossed but the chances of a resumption in February are for me 2/10, my hopes for future successful completed season - a meagre 6/10!!