Korat-Farang.com

The Mall or Terminal 21

toront500 · 139 · 5513

Offline toront500

Guys

Now that I've been to 21, I can't think of any reason to go back. For me, the Mall wins easily on just about everything. Getting there, parking (options) and leaving. I also think the range of shops, restaurants & coffee shops is much better.

ps...... Hope you all had a Merry Xmas.

Online Eagle 3

• Golfers in Korat
    • My House
Now that I've been to 21, I can't think of any reason to go back. For me, the Mall wins easily on just about everything. Getting there, parking (options) and leaving. I also think the range of shops, restaurants & coffee shops is much better.

I agree.
I am sofa king we todd did.

Offline Pompui

I haven't done a full tour of T21 yet but I think the Mall will still be better, not sure who will be number 1 when Central opens though.
I wonder how many of the restaurants in both The Mall and T21 will still be there in a year's time. With all the new ones in the new part of the Mall and the new ones between the food court and gourmet market plus the ones in T21 I think that now supply has outstripped demand. I see many in The Mall with either little or no customers most of the time.
Live like you are dying

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
For me, the Mall wins easily on just about everything.

I had to read it over again to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. Well, you really prefer The Mall! I totally disagree, I would give 2 Malls for 1 Terminal. I miss just one thing inside Terminal 21: Chester's Coffee.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Well, I have yet to go to T21 in Korat,  but if it's anything like Bkk, then The Mall & T21 are like chalk and cheese. Worth remembering that one is a Dept. store and the other isn't. The Mall pulled out of providing a supermarket to T21 (unlike in Bkk), but their biggest concern was the food court , which so far is holding it's own. It has to be The Mall for me as my other half works for the company, although no longer in Korat, but I'm not a big fan of T21 in Bkk, apart from the fish and chip shop!

Online Spursruss

I'm with Anton on this.  I much prefer T21.  The Mall looks tired and dated in comparison.  If you add in the insufficient and badly lit parking, there really is no contest in my view. 

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Yesterday, New Year Day and a Sunday, visited both places in early afternoon. The Mall crowded, Terminal 21 very crowded with line of cars on Mitthapap for accessing it.

Reinforced my general preference for Terminal. Two reasons important to me:

- Noise factor: much irritating at The Mall where different sources of rather loud, often very loud noise keep pounding simultaneously in dreadful acoustics; relatively quiet for the moment at Terminal where crowd's buzz was the prominent noise I could hear yesterday all around the place.

- Escalator factor: we know the situation at The Mall, with only limited improvement in new wing where they're still forcing you to do extra walking anyway; much better at Terminal, specially in the main halls at both ends, where you can go up/come down from level G to level 5 without extra walking. Evidence of logic and thoughtfulness, the long one you meet immediately at the main entrance ("Gate 1") taking you directly up from level G to level 3, the small businesses level. And as you reach level 3, few meters away on the left you find a dedicated one taking you up to Pier 21 food centre at level 4, arriving just a few meters away from the descending series of escalators taking you back down to level G without any extra walking. Escalators going down to level LG go down all the way, not only half way like at The Mall. And there are 5 lift points for the public on each level (except LG where they are 4), not 3 like at The Mall. I haven't counted the actual number of lifts yet...

True: Foodland is smaller than Gourmet Market and probably not as well supplied, but it is also less expensive, open 24 hours, with attached restaurant open 24 hours as well; without forgetting that there's Big C just across the road, while Tesco Lotus is not just across the road The Mall.

Plus: plenty of free sitting points spread all around on every floor, often with fountain nearby; free panoramic tower; free Wi-Fi for everyone all around the place; lavish decor even inside theme restrooms... Compare with decor in The Mall's new wing: all in all, just the wall painting reproduced in last photo below.

As a pedestrian I also appreciated very much seeing Terminal's own staff trying to get round municipal carelessness by taking the risk of helping people cross both roadways there, with the help of red flags (sequence of photos taken yesterday from in front of Big C). Never saw The Mall's staff doing that at the unsafe pedestrian crossing near the waterfall, now closed in theory.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:57:01 AM by Anton »

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
It would be the Mall for me, primarily because of Gourmet Market, but also because of the range of shops , mainly in the Dept. store. But that may change when I finally visit T21! But Foodland is no use to me.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
It would be the Mall for me, primarily because of Gourmet Market, but also because of the range of shops , mainly in the Dept. store.

If you're seeking for a department store then of course you can forget about Terminal 21 as there's no department store in there. In that case a more logical comparison would be against Klang Plaza, the only other department store in Korat until now, with The Mall easy (?) winner.

As to the range of independent shops renting premises inside, richer offer at Terminal compared to The Mall methinks. Almost all big names you find at The Mall are also at Terminal, plus several "new entries" for Korat, e.g. Toys R Us, Sports World, Bike Club, the already mentioned Fanpekka and Foodland, just to name a few coming to my mind here and now. I understand Foodland not important to you Caller, but probably important to other foreigners here. Also in terms of small local businesses, richer offer at Terminal, by far.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
. Also in terms of small local businesses, richer offer at Terminal, by far.

Yes, that's the same as T21 in Bkk. But in Bkk those local shops are pricy. How are they in T21?

I said foodland has no interest for me, as you asked for what is better for each of us. Within 10 minutes walk of the condo in Bkk, there is Villa Market, TOPS and a large foodland. I never go to the latter. I can get all I need and more from the other stores.

Is there a wine connection in T21?I read they were coming to Korat. Be a bonus if they did. The nicest meal I have eaten out in a long while was at their place in Bluport (Mall Group) in Hua Hin

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I said foodland has no interest for me, as you asked for what is better for each of us

Not me, you probably refer to the OP.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Well, well: war is declared. All shops in The Mall's food centre now offering mini meals starting from 25 THB. Offer valid until 28 February 2017 according to signs, also saying "no additional charges for take-away".

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
For me, the Mall wins easily on just about everything. Getting there, parking (options) and leaving. I also think the range of shops, restaurants & coffee shops is much better.

See this example: Southern Coffee is found in both shopping centres. At The Mall, it is hidden away in the basement section serving as gateway to underground parking, when you go down the escalator outside Gourmet Market, next to this souvenir shop. Only view from windows are vehicles parked just outside as you may see in first photo below. At Terminal it is located on level 2 - Istanbul, on a balcony overlooking the wide hall with Eiffel Tower replica, in a rather quiet setting with plenty of free space around and Turkish decor.

Now compare prices in both menus: at The Mall, coffee starting from 55 THB (white menu); at Terminal, from 40 THB (black menu). All items listed (much) more expensive at The Mall. Where would you take your girlfriend if you had to choose between these two?

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton, You should change your avatar,  lol
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
I go to Chesters in The Mall. Reasonable prices and also at good location. From my place The Mall is easier to go to or leave by car.

Still have to visit Terminal 21 but waiting till it gets more quiet. Today even the busses from new busstation had to take the backroad leading to HomePro because traffic between Big C and The Mall was horrendous. Cars have to make u-turn to get to Terminal 21 blocking traffic.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I go to Chesters in The Mall. Reasonable prices and also at good location.

Still my favourite too; now also covered by The Mall's free Wi-Fi for M-card holders, at last!

But they are not at Terminal. I was searching for some good alternative when, naturally, that big "40.-" sign at Southern Coffee you see in the photo struck my attention.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Southern Coffee is a franchise operation, I wonder how prices are decided?

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Anton,

it is all about cross traffic. Cars coming from direction of The Mall can go left before traffic lights. Cars coming from direction of Yamo can go right if traffic lights are green. Cars coming from direction ChoHo can make u-turn before traffic lights. Whatever solution people think abot will simply not work. The road before Terminal 21 leads to busstation so many busses use it, furthermore also used for going to KhonKaen for those who missed the bypass. Hopefully people coming from ChoHo direction will go to Central Plaza when this is finished and then reducing trafiic little bit. Nobody thinks about any infrastructure when building big buildings like this. Look for example at The Mall, no direct way out possible to go south when leaving the Mall at Mittrahap Road, always have to make a u-turn at traffic lights. Planning before is always better the trying to solve problems later IMHO.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
With regards the exit from the Mall, infrastructure plans  were considered and planned for. But such work needs the support of others.

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
With regards the exit from the Mall, infrastructure plans  were considered and planned for. But such work needs the support of others.

Could you tell more about these plans? Living here now for 10 years and only see traffic increasing without structural changes (except new winding road at the back where accidents will happen because drivers cut corners as usual).