Korat-Farang.com

The Mall or Terminal 21

toront500 · 139 · 5514

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thank you again but I miss your point. What does dressing up your Christmas tree at home have to do with forcing some of your staff wearing ridiculous Santa's outfits in the heat all day long?

Oh do tell!

I think I made my point clear enough already. Those photos speak by themselves. Yesterday I was at Central Korat and saw they are not wearing Santa's suits there. As far as I'm concerned, that makes two shopping centres higher class than The Mall in Korat now. I'll check Klang as soon as possible.

As to general treatment of their staff, just open your eyes and ears when inside. I could tell more but I don't see why I should, given that you refuse to tell us what you know about the bridge matter.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
As to general treatment of their staff, just open your eyes and ears when inside. I could tell more but I don't see why I should, given that you refuse to tell us what you know about the bridge matter.

I have told you, via pm, all I know and I have explained that my other half is no longer based at The Mall, so is unlikely to learn more.

So we know you don't like the Mall and want everyone to go to T21, which you prefer and now because of the santa outfits, the Mall is a terrible employer.

I also know a lot of people that work at the Mall, at all levels, I have been to 3 weddings of Mall staff, I have attended BBQ's and parties and also had fun with them at Songkran, I have accompanied them on organised trips away from Korat, which they organised amongst themselves and I went out and about on smaller scale trips with various staff from there at weekends and on holidays. I even went to Swat Cat games with Mall staff.

And just as with every large employer, there is good and bad. I know one member of staff who was deeply upset with the actions of her manager, which she felt undermined her, so much so, that she sought a transfer to Bangkok. I know others who my other half has informally advised when they got into trouble for posting stuff on facebook they really shouldn't have and couldn't understand why it was an issue (it would be in the UK as well). But I think they're generally seen as a good employer, many staff have worked there for many, many years and it's not unusual for whole families to be employed there, which I know the company encourages and I know a few husbands and wives that both work there. I think it's inevitable with any large organisation that there will be staff that are unhappy, some probably with good reason, and the good news now, that with the new alternatives in town, they have transferable skills so have options for employment elsewhere that weren't previously available.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I have told you, via pm, all I know

I don't think so, but never mind.

So we know you don't like the Mall

You're simplifying too much: it's not my favourite one; I dislike some things in it. I like some other things.

and want everyone to go to T21

Not at all. I would be pleased for Terminal 21 to see it more crowded more often. I never expressed the wish or even dreamt of "everyone" going to Terminal 21. Everybody is free to go where they prefer, hopefully based on well-informed choices rather than on following the herd like sheep - but it's their business.

and now because of the santa outfits, the Mall is a terrible employer.

I didn't write that The Mall is a terrible employer. I wrote that, as far as I'm concerned, 2 other shopping centres in Korat are better employers than The Mall. Yes, also because of the Santa outfits of course.

Offline Pompui

Forcing staff members to wear that all day long in the heat is pure cruelty IMHO.
Depends on the material the suits are made of and what they are wearing underneath. From the photo's, the material looks quite thin and these guys usually have a shirt, security officer waistcoat and police style helmet which together might be hotter than the santa suit.
Jivvy, Pompui: why don't you both take that man's place of a day, then come back share your impressions here?

Because I don't need to. I have worked 12 - 14 hour days in much hotter countries than Thailand while wearing thick fire retardant coveralls, boots and gloves. As long as these Santa's keep hydrated and are given the necessary breaks then they shouldn't have a problem.
 In the second photo you will see that Santa has got a black balaclava on under his hat and beard. This is his personal choice and not a Mall directive and he isn't wearing it because the beard is itchy. Like so many other Thai people he doesn't want dark skin and wears this balaclava everyday. Does it make him hot? Probably.
Live like you are dying

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
As long as these Santa's keep hydrated and are given the necessary breaks then they shouldn't have a problem.

Thank you Pompui, I hope so for them. Even admitting it, I still think it's a degrading treatment to oblige them wear that suit and look like buffoons for several weeks in a row. Why not just on 24 and 25 December, for example?

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
And by the way Anton, if you feel so strongly about The Mall and Santa outfits, I'd suggest you boycott Southern Coffee at the Mall in protest, it's owned by the General Manager.

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard

My wife works in the Mall, Gourmet Market, and says there are no problems with working conditions and staff treatment that she is aware of.
I asked her about the guys in the Santa outfits and she said they don't worry about it, especially now that it is cold (for Thais)
It seems that somebody is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
And by the way Anton, if you feel so strongly about The Mall and Santa outfits, I'd suggest you boycott Southern Coffee at the Mall in protest, it's owned by the General Manager.

Thank you for the information Caller. Personally to me it doesn't change a thing, first because I never went there and never intend to go anyway (they are in a hole and they charge too much, see reply no. 12), second because I don't care who the owner is as long as it is not some North American multinational - the only ones I'm boycotting.

But maybe it can change things for some other member, who knows? For example those who intervened in the discussion "Southern Coffee at the Mall", that is open since 4 years and never saw a contribution from your side. "Better late than never", as they say  ::)

I asked her about the guys in the Santa outfits and she said they don't worry about it, especially now that it is cold

Don't tell me! I'm shocked with surprise. Then maybe your wife can apply for a Santa outfit too, now that it is cold.

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Then maybe your wife can apply for a Santa outfit too, now that it is cold.

Naaah, they're to big for her and pink is  her colour, not red.
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
For example those who intervened in the discussion "Southern Coffee at the Mall", that is open since 4 years and never saw a contribution from your side. "Better late than never", as they say  ::)

Ah, so childish. I don't drink coffee. Hate the stuff. Spawn of the devil as far as I am concerned. All I look for is whether a coffee shop sells tea. So if in the Mall at Korat (or T21), first choice is Starbucks as I have a choice of size, equal second are Amazon and the new Mezzo place, who don't give a choice of size. I usually have the largest mug possible with one tea bag, for 90 baht. About equal to Amazons price, if doubled up.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Then maybe your wife can apply for a Santa outfit too, now that it is cold.

Naaah, they're to big for her and pink is  her colour, not red.

But they are just the perfectly fitting size for that man in the photo, who goes crazy for red suits and white beards, as everybody knows.

It seems that somebody is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill

Yes: Jivvy and Caller. All I did was adding one more personal reason to explain why I prefer Terminal 21, perfectly in topic with this discussion.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
One year after opening The Mall's new wing, it seems the project of a second pedestrian bridge there has been definitely abandoned; while Terminal started building one now, to be finished within a year from Terminal's inauguration.

Terminal 21's pedestrian bridge opened today to the delight of thousands of users who are crossing it since the first hours. Whoever thinks that these bridges are not being used, should go there and try to take a photo inside that bridge without anybody appearing in the picture, if they can.

The bridge is quite wide except for the rather narrow access on Big C's side of the road, where they did what they could with available space. That spot has immediately become Terminal's "song taew" stop on that side of the road. Problems ahead for traffic coming out from Big C's parking lot, I'm afraid. They also chase away any street vendor from that spot now (see last photo below: there used to be a noodles vendor with tables always installed there).

Regretfully, access to the bridge inside Terminal ("Gate 6" on level 1) isn't sufficiently near any elevator or escalator set. That's too bad because there's a set of elevators, the panoramic ones, that passes by next to it, but that skips levels 1 and 2. Let's hope they'll try to find a remedy to that in the future.

This new bridge brings up to 8 the number of pedestrian bridges in the 4 odd km stretch of Mitthapap downtown, the one without separated side lanes, from Sima Thani Hotel to Assumption College. But those 8 bridges are unevenly distributed: 6 of them, including the new one, are rather concentrated at both ends of that stretch, while only 2 are serving the 2 1/2 km central segment from Wat Khok Phrom to Terminal 21.

As far as I know, the last bridge opened on Mitthapap downtown before this new one, was The Mall's bridge in the year 2000. Before that, there was only 1 bridge over 2.8 km of Mitthapap downtown (from Wat Khok Phrom to Municipal School 4). Surely it must have been so much easier to cross Mitthapap in that tract 20 years ago!

With today's traffic, lacking any safe zebra crossing anywhere, it seems undeniable to me that those 4 km Mitthapap Rd downtown Korat are in dire need of additional pedestrian bridges, especially the above-mentioned central segment. With municipal authorities totally lethargic on this point, and private sector adding new bridges at a rate of 1 every 17 years, in about 200 years from now we might finally be seeing a bridge every 200 m on that stretch  :P

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
The bridge is quite wide

I think it is about 50% wider than The Mall's bridge.

They also chase away any street vendor from that spot now (see last photo below: there used to be a noodles vendor with tables always installed there).

I was wrong here, that noodles vendor with tables and umbrellas is already back. Must be a profitable spot there, I always see some patron sitting there. I wonder whom are they renting the location from?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
T21 have reduced the rents for the shops by anything from 50% for the larger shops to 100% for the really small shops. This is because people were going to shut

Shop no. 1003 "The Greater Outdoor" is already closed - blast, just when I needed it  :(

Shop no. G003A "Clarks" is already closed, too.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Terminal 21's pedestrian bridge opened today to the delight of thousands of users who are crossing it since the first hours.

Terminal's pedestrian bridge is now served also by an elevator on the opposite side of the road (Big C side). It started operating yesterday or the day before. One more point in favour of Terminal 21.

Offline toront500

Guys

Just an observation.  Went to the Mall for banking and lunch today.  The restaurants (some closed down) on the top floor next to the ice rink were deserted, it was like a ghost town.

Too many shopping centres now catching up with Korat.

Cheers

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Too many shopping centres now catching up with Korat.

I know from a reliable source that Klang suspended building works at the new Klang Station a few months back, and that no extra bonuses for Klang staff are foreseen this year, differently from previous years.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
It's not just in Korat, although I agree that 3 large Malls are probably hard to sustain.

I was at Central Embassy in Bangkok the other day, which is 5 floors of 'high end' stores and on a Friday afternoon, it was deserted, as I unbelievably empty. The shops will be receiving large discounts with their rent as neither the shops or Central would want to see it fail.

When in Bangkok, I visit Emquartier more than any other store, which is owned by The Mall group and it's now been open three years and now always seems pretty busy, certainly the lowest three floors - basement (food), ground (food and shops) and level M (BTS level, food and shops), many of the shops seem busy much of the time, yet even so, many are receiving a discount on the rent as takings for some are not high enough.

Both Central and The Mall, know the takings for each store and have a system which allows rent discounts to kick in at x level.

Same with Bluport co-owned by the Mall in Hua Hin and even Villa Market in Hua Hin, which always seems busier, but the clothes shops and others are just not seeing the 'foot fall' turn into sales.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Nobody inside Toys R Us, Fanpekka, and the playground in between. On level 5, ice skating rink totally deserted

After the The Rink last year, now also Fänpekka is giving it up at Terminal 21. Permanent closure already announced, it will remain open only until the end of this month, last opening day 31 August. Source: Fänpekka's FB account, yesterday.