Korat-Farang.com

The Mall or Terminal 21

toront500 · 139 · 5511

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
it is all about cross traffic. Cars coming from direction of The Mall can go left before traffic lights. Cars coming from direction of Yamo can go right if traffic lights are green. Cars coming from direction ChoHo can make u-turn before traffic lights. Whatever solution people think abot will simply not work

If Korat is the gateway to Isaan, that obsolete junction remains the core of this gateway until now. They need to think of something, and think it big, at a provincial if not a regional level.

Planning before is always better the trying to solve problems later IMHO

That's my point when I say that it's useless to insist on keeping Mitthapap stretch downtown as it is now: neither fish nor fowl. I mean the 4 1/2 km tract lacking separated side lanes, from Sima Thani to Saint Mary. Fault of proper planning 30 or 40 years ago, it will never be a 24-hour expressway anymore. Nobody can remove those 3 traffic lights or add side lanes now. So, open it up! Add crossing points and U-turns. Don't force people to thicken columns just for taking a far away U-turn. Don't be afraid of adding new traffic lights where needed: you can keep them only flashing at night, in case. When you have openings in the median strip, you can still adapt to the situation by closing them at will. Without openings, you can't adapt to the situation.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:42:58 PM by Anton »
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
With regards the exit from the Mall, infrastructure plans  were considered and planned for. But such work needs the support of others.
Could you tell more about these plans?

I may be wrong but I think he means The Mall made plans but municipality is not cooperating.

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
it is all about cross traffic. Cars coming from direction of The Mall can go left before traffic lights. Cars coming from direction of Yamo can go right if traffic lights are green. Cars coming from direction ChoHo can make u-turn before traffic lights. Whatever solution people think abot will simply not work

If Korat is the gateway to Isaan, that obsolete junction remains the core of this gateway until now. They  need to think of something, and think it big, at a provincial if not a regional level.

Planning before is always better the trying to solve problems later IMHO

That's my point when I say that it's useless to insist on keeping Mitthapap stretch downtown as it is now: neither fish nor fowl. I mean the 4 1/2 km tract lacking separated side lanes, from Sima Thani to Saint Mary. Fault of proper planning 30 or 40 years ago, it will never be a 24-hour expressway anymore. Nobody can remove those 3 traffic lights now. So, open it up! Add crossing points and U-turns. Don't force people to thicken columns just for taking a far away U-turn. Don't be afraid of adding new traffic lights where needed: you can keep them only flashing at night, in case. When you have openings in the middle strip, you can still adapt to the situation by closing them at will. Without openings, you can't adapt to the situation.

Think that through traffic coming from the south should have a better connection to KhonKaen road before entering Korat. Now a narrow road which can be missed if not paying attention.

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
With regards the exit from the Mall, infrastructure plans  were considered and planned for. But such work needs the support of others.

I may be wrong but I think he means The Mall made plans but municipality is not cooperating.

I understood that but why city government even allows to build properties like that without a complete plan (meaning infrastructure) does not make sense to me.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
why city government even allows to build properties like that without a complete plan (meaning infrastructure) does not make sense to me

You should ask them  :)

Incompetence, carelessness, corruption...

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
why city government even allows to build properties like that without a complete plan (meaning infrastructure) does not make sense to me

You should ask them  :)

Incompetence, carelessness, corruption...

Do not even bother to ask because can predict answer already.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Well, it was built many years ago and traffic wasn't so bad when it was. Now you have to make the best of it. Look at my early posts about the Mall proposals for traffic management. None have come to fruition.

Why generally is Korat such an unattractive and ugly City? Apart from one or two areas - and the central reservations - why is it so unkempt and filthy. Other Issan Cities are far more attractive. 

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Look at my early posts about the Mall proposals for traffic management. None have come to fruition.

I remember only one proposal: about opening Mitthapap where cars exit on it next to the new wing, allowing them to turn right direction Bangkok, with traffic light.

You also mentioned about the (very bad IMHO) idea of possibly closing up the PTT / KS Pavilion intersection, but I don't see why that idea would be coming from The Mall, what would The Mall have to do with it?

Offline Pompui

I understood that but why city government even allows to build properties like that without a complete plan (meaning infrastructure) does not make sense to me.

So, I'm wondering if T21 made plans for a footbridge from their side of the road to Big C but didn't get the support either. There has always been a problem there with people getting run over while crossing the road and this will get even worse now with T21 there and I don't think the crossing guards will help that much. I nearly ran a school kid down today, I was first away from the lights coming from Yamo and heading towards Makro and it looked like the crossing guard told the kid to hurry across. The kid started sprinting and then stumbled half way across, luckily he managed to stay on his feet. If he had fell flat on his face then he would have had 20 or 30 cars bearing down on him.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:01:27 PM by Pompui »
Live like you are dying

Offline toront500

Guys

Good to see your thoughts on the Mall & T21.  I think the Mall has managed the threat of T21 exceptionally well.  The opening of the new Mall extension was timely and effective.  In my opinion, the new range of shops, restaurants and coffee shops by far outweighs the novelty factor of T21. The main factor in my choosing the Mall is definitely parking.  We always park on the small road opposite and next to the pedestrian bridge. Easier to leave even when the traffic is busy.  On another topic, there is an excellent Thai restaurant on this road, forget the name.  Worth a try, if you like Thai food.

Cheers

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Now that I've been to 21, I can't think of any reason to go back. For me, the Mall wins easily on just about everything. Getting there, parking (options) and leaving. I also think the range of shops, restaurants & coffee shops is much better.

I agree.

It would be the Mall for me, primarily because of Gourmet Market, but also because of the range of shops , mainly in the Dept. store. But that may change when I finally visit T21!

The opening of the new Mall extension was timely and effective.  In my opinion, the new range of shops, restaurants and coffee shops by far outweighs the novelty factor of T21

Toront and Eagle, could you kindly elaborate a little on the range-of-shops point? Any figures, examples in support of your claim that it is "much better" at The Mall? Caller excused, but only until he will have visited the new Terminal 21  :)

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton, surely it's all down to personal choice and convenience. It's not an exact science. It will be the Mall for me when in Korat because of Gourmet Market. I'm not going to go the Mall, do a food shop then traipse all the way over to T21 because they might have one shop extra that the Mall doesn't have. It's as simple as that. I hate going to the Mall as well! Okay, it's a novelty now, but when living there it was a pain. But it was the only place to shop in Korat for grocery style things (I don't do Tesco).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:35:52 PM by caller »

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Anton, surely it's all down to personal choice and convenience. It's not an exact science

Not saying it's an exact science, not expecting a doctorate thesis as an answer. Just asking them to motivate a little about their opinion judgement, that's all. I don't think that's asking too much on a forum like this. They expressed this opinion judgement but gave zero motivation for it until now.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:24:59 PM by Anton »

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton, surely it's all down to personal choice and convenience. It's not an exact science

Personal choices are just that, personal, and there should be no necessity to explain them to others.
Having been to both the Mall and Terminal 21 my personal preference is the Mall
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

Personal choices are just that, personal, and there should be no necessity to explain them to others.
Having been to both the Mall and Terminal 21 my personal preference is the Mall

My fault if I expressed myself wrong. I corrected reply no. 33 accordingly. An opinion is an opinion, everybody's entitled to his/her own without need to justify. I'm not discussing their general preference for The Mall, though I personally disagree. But a judgement is something else. As I see it, stating that "the range of shops, restaurants & coffee shops is much better" is a judgement that needs at least a minimum supporting explanation.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hey Guys my personal preference is neither Mall nor Terminal 21 !
I highly dislike 'Shopping Malls' and only visit once or twice a year - arriving a few minutes before opening and out straight after a purposeful 'pit stop'.
Those receiving my favours are only 'Better Vision', (excellent prices and service for glasses), 'Korat Notebook', (computer repairs etc) and the 2nd floor bookshop for Thai style cards for Christmas.
2 visits a year, (which is 2 too much LOL).
Hey we're all different and that's ok.
Yours curmudgeonly R x

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I'm wondering if T21 made plans for a footbridge from their side of the road to Big C but didn't get the support either

The Terminal 21-Big C relation seems like an interesting topic to me. Of the two, which one would gain (or lose) from a connecting footbridge? Consideriing that some people, especially two-wheel riders, may find it more convenient to use Big C's parking for visiting Terminal (you enter/exit it southwards, you can enter/exit it also from behind). Why is it Terminal, not Big C staff, helping pedestrians to cross over right now?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:54:40 AM by Anton »

Offline Aussie

Is there another large mall planned for Korat?
Regards
β€œThe equal rights of man, and the happiness of every individual, are now acknowledged to be the only legitimate objects of government.”
― Thomas Jefferson,

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Is there another large mall planned for Korat?

Central expected to open in 2017, Aussie. You must have skipped this topic, among others. Go directly to the last reply for photos of building site and a Google Earth Placemark.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Also in terms of small local businesses, richer offer at Terminal, by far.

For the sake of practising what I preach, a bit of explanation on this particular judgement:

- Number of small shops in The Mall's Wonderground according to brochure "Floor plan directory" now being distributed: about 190.
- Number of small shops in Terminal's Young Brander area according to information collected and verified directly on the spot: about 320.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:12:58 PM by Anton »