Korat-Farang.com

The Mall or Terminal 21

toront500 · 139 · 5512

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
- Number of small shops in Terminal's Young Brander area according to information collected and verified directly on the spot: about 320.

But what about prices? There's a few floors of smaller shops at T21 in Bkk, but many sell niche or designer stuff, jewellery and the like. Cheap or for normal Thais, they ain't. That's why I'm curious to visit Korat T21, to see what the differences are?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
- Number of small shops in Terminal's Young Brander area according to information collected and verified directly on the spot: about 320.

But what about prices? There's a few floors of smaller shops at T21 in Bkk, but many sell niche or designer stuff, jewellery and the like. Cheap or for normal Thais, they ain't. That's why I'm curious to visit Korat T21, to see what the differences are?

Caller all I can answer for the moment is that, to me, they look just like those found in The Mall's Wonderground. I didn't notice any particularly exclusive designer stuff, but I didn't go looking for it, either.

If you're seeking for a department store then of course you can forget about Terminal 21 as there's no department store in there

Worth specifying that there are, however, big stores to cover all needs, mostly new to Korat. Already mentioned here: Sports World; Toys R Us; Foodland; Fanpekka; not mentioned yet: Home Pro Living; The Power Life (electronics); Somjai (stationary)... As to garments and accessories, go take your pick all around levels G, 1 and 2.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Pompui

I'm wondering if T21 made plans for a footbridge from their side of the road to Big C but didn't get the support either

The Terminal 21-Big C relation seems like an interesting topic to me. Of the two, which one would gain (or lose) from a connecting footbridge? Consideriing that some people, especially two-wheel riders, may find it more convenient to use Big C's parking for visiting Terminal (you enter/exit it southwards, you can enter/exit it also from behind). Why is it Terminal, not Big C staff, helping pedestrians to cross over right now?

T21 are the new kid on the block and any accidents would get blamed on them.
Big C never have had people helping pedestrians and probably feel that why should they start now.
T21 probably has many more visitors per day that Big C get.
A lot of people who were involved in construction of T21 used to park in Big C and parking would be a nightmare, especially on weekends, so it's good to see them getting some payback.
I haven't seen and crossing guards on the Big C side, do they exist?
Live like you are dying

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
For me, the Mall wins easily on just about everything. Getting there, parking (options) and leaving

This is another judgement on which I would love to get some explanation, given that for years I've been reading sharp criticism, by car driving members here, on the entering/parking/exiting situation at The Mall. Now all of a sudden it became a piece of cake and much better than at Terminal ?!?

Personally, since Terminal opened until now, I have yet to see cars lining up to exit it; while I'm still seeing everyday cars lining up for exiting The Mall on Mitthapap. As to entering Terminal, my impression is that only those coming down from north are facing real difficulty (worse than for entering The Mall). Other car driving members can express a better judgement than mine on this point. Spursruss and Happylarry already expressed positive judgements for Terminal on this point.

Plus, your next statement seems to contradict it all:

The main factor in my choosing the Mall is definitely parking.  We always park on the small road opposite and next to the pedestrian bridge. Easier to leave even when the traffic is busy.

Put it like that it would seem your main factor is not really parking options, but rather presence of a bridge just there.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I haven't seen and crossing guards on the Big C side, do they exist?

Neither have I, Pompui. But there was no Terminal 21 on the other side of the road until now, either.

Offline JASONTHAI

I went to both a few days back, I prefer the small shops downstairs in The Mall to Terminal 21 but then again I prefer the shops and layout of Terminal 21 as it's easier to find shops

Now myself and the wife had food at both in the foodcourts, I ordered the same dish at both, Chicken & Rice (Indian style) at the The Mall it cost 50 baht tasted not that good and the chicken was still red/pink close to the bone so not cooked correctly to me, now I had the same dish at Terminal 21 cost was only 39 Baht and looking at most dishes there price range was from 30 - 45. Baht which was cheaper than The Mall 40 - 65 Baht, the chicken was really good and you could taste the spices added to the chicken, looks like they had a Thai/Indian working there who was cooking the food, you could also gets seats near the window which has a nice view of all the traffic LOL

Offline toront500

Anton

You really need to go back to the beginning and re-read the posts.

"I think", "for ME" and "in MY opinion" are exclusive to ME.

"Getting there, parking (options) and leaving" is easier when WE go to the Mall. 

Cheers

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
the same dish at Terminal 21 cost was only 39 Baht and looking at most dishes there price range was from 30 - 45. Baht which was cheaper than The Mall 40 - 65 Baht

Other examples of lower prices at Pier 21 if compared to The Mall Food Hall (photos taken this past week):

- Rice with pork ข้าวหนูแดง: Pier 21 28 THB -- The Mall Food Hall 50 THB
- Rice with pork ข้าวหนูกรอบ: Pier 21 30 THB -- The Mall Food Hall 50 THB

- Som Tam Thai style: Pier 21 26 THB -- The Mall Food Hall 45 THB
- Som Tam Lao style: Pier 21 28 THB -- The Mall Food Hall 45 THB

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
"Getting there, parking (options) and leaving" is easier when WE go to the Mall 

...because you don't use The Mall parking lots, you could have specified at once...  Forum readers are not all soothsayers good enough to guess such a "minor" detail  :)

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I go to Chesters in The Mall. Reasonable prices and also at good location.
Still my favourite too; now also covered by The Mall's free Wi-Fi for M-card holders, at last!

It seems those marked in bold were the classic famous last words. A few days after writing that, about one week ago, The Mall's free Wi-Fi service stopped working for me. That is: after entering my log-in data, instead of getting the usual "you're now logged in" confirmation I was just getting the empty log-in form again and again and again, without any other notice.

Today I went to customer service on third floor to ask for explanation and see if they could solve the problem. A young lady in charge of these matters came out to talk to me. I explained well the situation to her, showed her what I was doing and what I was getting on my phone's screen. She asked me to wait for a moment. I saw her going back to her seat and start talking in whispers to another young lady sitting next to her. They kept whispering like that about 2 minutes, then first girl came back to me and served me a complicated diplomatic explanation, involving the question of too much usage of the service by too many people, meaning in plain words that from now on and until further notice the service is no more available to customers but only to staff members.

What could I add? I informed her that at Terminal 21 there's free Wi-Fi for everybody who register for it, without need of cards, serving every corner of the building without problems, and left. 20 minutes later I was enjoying Terminal's free Wi-Fi inside Foodland.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I went to Terminal 21 today for the first time. I stayed a few hours but it wasn't enough to see everything there but overall I enjoyed my time there and quite liked the experience.

Firstly parking:
We were very surprised at how easy it was. We arrived at 1pm today (Saturday) and there were no queues to get in, no problems at the traffic lights, plenty of parking spaces, signs telling you how many empty spaces there were on each floor of the car park, coloured lights (red or green) over each parking space to indicate empty or full (so you can see from afar). Overall excellent, apart from the slightly annoying car park attendants waving everyone up to the top floor when there were still empty spaces on lower floors. So for me, parking is miles better at T21 than the Mall.

Toilets:
Plenty of them on each floor. Interesting decor (even if unnecessary IMO). Water to wash your bum and a hot air drier to dry it after! The only negative was on the third floor, it was hard to know which door the mens toilet was. The decor confused it and the large M indicating male was hidden by some unnecessary decoration. Overall, better than the Mall.

Prices:
I could only get a general idea as I didn't spend any time looking for differences, and overall prices seemed similar to the Mall. So, no difference for me at this point.

Staff:
On several occasions today staff at different shops and restaurants made a big effort to help me/us decide to use their business. They weren't overbearing or anything like that, they were just being helpful and obviously making the effort to do business. Not every shop did this and one place was not so helpful, but overall I'd say customer service today exceeded the norm for me in the Mall.

Shops:
Obviously T21 is smaller than the Mall but seemed to have a similar range of shops but with perhaps more choice on display and a few shops not in the Mall. As I said earlier, I didn't make it to every shop or even floor but there seemed to be enough for me. One negative for me was that on the ground floor (basement)/Caribbean, there was an area selling sports shoes. IMO, they should be relocated to the floor where the other sports shops are located (Paris?). That said, the lower floor seems to be a lower quality spec so perhaps rents are cheaper there and attract a different kind of business model.

Foodland V Freshmart/Gourmet:
Freshmart/Gourmet is bigger, but products in Foodland seems to be similar. More beef products at Foodland perhaps. Much quieter at Foodland than in the Mall Freshmart. There is much more wine/beer selection at the Mall than T21 but I'm not a big drinker. No overall winner for me at this point but the 24 hour opening might come in handy one day - but maybe not.

Restaurants and coffee shops:
Enough choice for the size of the place, I think.

Entertainment:
There was a free Chinese acrobat display on today, which was interesting and unexpected.

Photo opportunities:
There were many. LOL. Everybody, including us, seemed to be taking photos of themselves in front of the different and many decorations.

As a native English speaker, I was a bit disappointed that the many English signs around T21 had spelling mistakes. I would have thought that with the obvious amount of thought that had gone into the themes and decorations, a bit more thought could have gone into checking the spelling of the signs.

Finding stuff:
There are boards to tell you what's on each floor, however, they could be improved greatly. Instead of naming each shop on each floor, they have blanks spaces and you have to click on a space to see what shop that is. With so many floors and shops, that is silly. The other option, if you know what shop you are looking for, is to use the search function. That works well.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:22:21 PM by Alfie »

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
One negative for me was that on the ground floor (basement)/Caribbean, there was an area selling sports shoes.

I just read this review now. Alfie I think you are referring to a temporary sales area here. Today I was there and saw it too, it's at the other end of the floor compared to Foodland, sport shoes but also garments on sale. That area is reserved to temporary sales: previously, there was a food market there.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
As parking at The Mall isn't free anymore (starting last 16 January according to my friends), one additional point in favour of Terminal 21 now: free parking.

Free parking at The Mall lasted less than 1 month this time. How would you explain that?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Is it back as before, Anton, with short term parking still free and the system of showing receipts to allow longer free parking?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Is it back as before, Anton, with short term parking still free and the system of showing receipts to allow longer free parking?

That's right, just as before, at least according to my car driving friends.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

So it's still free parking for those shopping then?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

So it's still free parking for those shopping then?

Yes but with limitations, car driving members will be able to specify better. While at Terminal at the moment it's absolutely free for everybody.

Offline Pompui

Parking at the mall is as it was before. Free up to 3 hours and receipts checked at the exit counters extend it.

After doing a complete tour of T21, I can say that the only reason I would go there again is for clothes shopping or if I wanted something specific that the Mall doesn't have or I needed to compare prices. I do agree that the parking is a lot better though.
Live like you are dying

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I went back to Terminal 21 today. It was a different experience than last weekend. It was much busier so parking was more difficult. It was actually quite difficult to find an empty space. Although there was an area with lots of empty spaces, they were reserved - Privileged Parking or something like that. I've no idea how one becomes "Privileged". A special membership card perhaps?

Most restaurants were very busy (it was about 2pm) so we chose a less busy coffee shop (Laboom) that sold filled toasted sandwiches (Paninis). It was underwhelmed by the performance of the staff there. Food and drinks were OK but a bit on the expensive side - 380 for a Panini - although it was a good size and filled well.

Last weekend we ate in Santa Fe restaurant. The food was tasty enough but the portions were small. After we left there we were still hungry so we went to Starbucks for more food and drinks.

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
Alfie you must be lacking Nookies charisma as I was directed to park in one of those spaces right outside the front.!!
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net