Korat-Farang.com

Brexit

Alfie · 852 · 28078

Thaiwolf, Dylan_Leo, KiwiCanadian, Coolkorat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
I agree with the sentiments in the pic. The referendum was a mistake, badly thought out, poorly campaigned, poorly handled in the media and dishonestly campaigned by the leavers. It is now being poorly managed by an unelected pm with some of the leat able government ministers I can remember enabled by the feeblest opposition I can remember.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I agree with the sentiments in the pic.

Portraying the British as Nazi's?

Are you serious?

And pray tell, how have you conjured up your answer as being representative of that pic?

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
Maybe you can explain to me why you support Brexit when it hurts you financially due to the drop in the pound  while not coming across as a little Englander
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Offline enrico

let me tell you a true story? when i started school in the 1940 s. we were at war? most teachers went off to the war effort, only some ladies from up the street were left to teach us ,so we never went, nobody cared ? i could not read or write untill i went into the army .  my first job , british rail 2 years 2nd job down the coal mine ? ten years goverment jobs, no pension ..i came to thailand in 2004, the bhat then 75 to the pound ,now its 42/43 ? but i still wanted to leave the E.U........teesside, you come across like the old say-ing ..knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.    ps  i forgot to say six years in the british army ?   total gov jobs ten years total pension none...oap pension frozen E

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Good morning Teess.

To repeat the ask, you don't seriously think we Brits are Nazi now ?
Or that the Europeans are invading us ?

Referendum a mistake ? Well it turned out badly for DC that's for sure.
But as all the old Parties were split over the EU in the face of the UKIP onslaught, it was important IMO to find out what the people thought - the Party Political system couldn't do that this time.
Badly thought out ? How? A simple decisive question was asked and a clear answer was given.

As for the media, they scrummaged in their partisan ways and both sides were dishonest and manipulative in the campaign.

The Government - well Theresa May is and elected PM under our Constitution so that's that. It's easy to disparage but I must say I'm glad the present Cabinet are managing the UK rather than you or me !

Why support Brexit ? Myself I am against too much centralisation, too much red tape and regulation and being governed by self serving EU Commissioners. In time, the UK will have better control of Immigration matters being OUT of the EU.

The exchange rate hurts atm - I arrived in Thailand 7 years ago and bought my house at B46 so I missed the golden B70 days. Evenso, sometimes there are more important things to vote for than spare cash in the pocket. And the £ will bounce back strongly in due course as the Euro wobbles and so on.

I'm sure you were just playing Devil's advocate in your original post/pic. Or in the words of McEnroe and Caller - you cannot be serious !! ATB

Enrico - enjoyed that.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Maybe you can explain to me why you support Brexit when it hurts you financially due to the drop in the pound  while not coming across as a little Englander

Ah, the old politicians ploy of answering a question with a question.

So you can't answer my question? Of course you can't, it was just a glib, unthinking, use of an insensitive image as a vehicle to express your angst. There seems to be a lot of that about these days.

As for coming across as a little Englander, I'll leave that to you as I wasn't thinking of myself when I made my decision. It's funny how the phrase originates from the Liberals when they were opposed to British expansionism back in the day.

Edit. I just noticed the pic has been removed. Why?

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller the pic is still there.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
We will claim our freedom without asking stupid tory fools!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39255181

51 minutes ago

Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed she will ask for permission to hold a second referendum on Scottish independence.

She said she would ask the Scottish Parliament next week to request a Section 30 order from Westminster.

Prime Minister Theresa May has so far avoided saying whether or not she would grant permission.

;D
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Alfie it's my guess that Theresa May will NOT allow a second referendum on Scottish Independence, so Floyd may be disappointed.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Floyd after Alfie's post, I had a look back at your amazing thoughts in February which I had not seen.
I hope you have sobered up now M8 and I'll try some Beer Lao myself asap !
I'm afraid you can bluster all you like but it looks like you Scots are staying in the UK and coming out of the EU too.
You know you'd miss us really.
Oh and btw, God's Country is actually my fair Cornwall . . . . . .
Tories rule OK !
TCOY

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
It's coming soon ...

Parliament has passed the Brexit bill, paving the way for the government to trigger Article 50 so the UK can leave the European Union.

The bill is expected to receive Royal Assent and become law on Tuesday.

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said this would leave Theresa May free to push the button on withdrawal talks.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39262081

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Jivvy of course I realise that pic doesn't represent your views, it's just for info.
I shudder to think what Floyd and Teess will have to say about it.
All good fun eh ?

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Mind you, it is probably true of most politicians regardless of party or gender !!!
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
How about this?
Blaine Pascal

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The Brexit Bill is expected to get royal assent today.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Queen gives Royal Assent to Article 50 bill

The Queen has given Royal Assent to the Brexit bill, clearing the way for Theresa May to start talks to leave the European Union.

The European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill was passed by MPs and peers on Monday.

It allows the prime minister to notify Brussels that the UK is leaving the EU, with a two year process of exit negotiations to follow.

Mrs May says she will trigger the process by the end of the month.

It is unlikely to happen next week to avoid a clash with an informal summit of EU countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39282280

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Theresa May to trigger Brexit process next Wednesday, 29 March.

A No 10 spokesman said the UK's Ambassador to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow, informed the European Council, headed by President Donald Tusk, earlier on Monday of the date that Article 50 would be triggered next Wednesday, 29 March.

Downing Street said that after Article 50 is triggered, it is expected that the remaining 27 EU member states will agree their terms and for there to be an initial response within 48 hours.

A spokesman said the government wants negotiations to start as soon as possible but added that they "fully appreciate it is right that the other 27 EU states have time to agree their position".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39325561

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member

Downing Street said that after Article 50 is triggered, it is expected that the remaining 27 EU member states will agree their terms and for there to be an initial response within 48 hours.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39325561

Maybe I am reading it wrong as English is not my native language but did UK overlooked the fact that e.g. The Netherlands just had elections and coalition still as to be formed? For sure this will not happen with 48 hours after March 29 so personally think given deadline will not work. UK waits for some time after Brexit referendum and now puts the pressure all of a sudden on the EU?