Korat-Farang.com

Brexit

Alfie · 801 · 25772

caller, Hector and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I think you should stop Anton

Dear Caller, you give the impression of a touchy character, you don't tolerate to be "lectured" (even if it was as an answer to your own question!) so I will not "lecture" you about all the existing options in case you don't like what another forum member is writing.

One thing you cannot do is asking that member to stop expressing his opinions on a particular subject unless that is affecting you very personally somehow, which is not the case here. So think as hard as you want that I should "stop", but keep it for yourself, or complain with the administrator if that's so unbearable to you.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton regarding your Reply 58 - the words pernickety and tendentious come to mind.

Caller - misogynic ? But the rest of your Reply 59 I do agree with.

Anton - without being touchy, do you mind me asking if you are Belgian or not ?
(Sorry to ask, but as you know another poster wondered about this).
It might help me understand where you are coming from sometimes. Thanks.

Brexit - 'this one will run and run' as they say !

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
you don't tolerate to be "lectured" (even if it was as an answer to your own question!) so I will not "lecture" you about all the existing options in case you don't like what another forum member is writing.

One thing you cannot do is asking that member to stop expressing his opinions on a particular subject unless that is affecting you very personally somehow, which is not the case here. So think as hard as you want that I should "stop", but keep it for yourself, or complain with the administrator if that's so unbearable to you.

Bored Anton, bored. Bored by your repetition, your ignorance of the subject matter and by your Anglophobia. And I am perfectly entitled to suggest to another member to stop because it's just the same old, same old.  It's up to you to ignore or comply, but please don't tell me I 'cannot' do it. it seems like Roger has you spot on!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
the United Kingdom wants the European Union to succeed and prosper

Are you really unable to comprehend that the UK (or the British PM) can wish the EU well and mean it?

We are leaving the European Union, but we are not leaving Europe

"We don't want the cons anymore, but we still want the pros"

All she is saying is that the UK is not physically moving anywhere - not to Asia, not to Africa, not to the Americas or to Australasia. Still in exactly the same place - the continent of Europe.

the deep and special partnership we hope to enjoy – as your closest friend and neighbour – with the European Union once we leave

The neighbour part is correct (see above), the friend part is what she hope the relationship will be like post-Brexit. Friendly.

This legislation will, wherever practical and appropriate, in effect convert the body of existing European Union law (the “acquis”) into UK law.  This means there will be certainty for UK citizens and for anybody from the European Union who does business in the United Kingdom

She forgot to add "wherever practical and appropriate" also in the second sentence, but I don't doubt it was in good faith.

The law she is talking about will be a quick and effective measure to implement but also only temporary in nature. It is intended to avoid a "cliff-edge" scenario that some businesses (and to some extent EU citizens) are fearful of.

When it comes to the return of powers back to the United Kingdom, we will consult fully on which powers should reside in Westminster and which should be devolved to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  But it is the expectation of the Government that the outcome of this process will be a significant increase in the decision-making power of each devolved administration

Don't come washing your dirty linen in public! Is this how you respect your "closest friend and neighbour"?

I don't understand your comment in relation to this point. Can you explain it, please?

In security terms a failure to reach agreement would mean our cooperation in the fight against crime and terrorism would be weakened

"Oooops, we hadn't thought about that. Help!"

Wrong. Clearly the British government has thought about it. But, mentioning it was probably a gentle hint to the EU that the UK desires to get an agreement within the 2 year period and that it is in the interests of all sides that an agreement is reached in that time scale.   
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Are you really unable to comprehend that the UK (or the British PM) can wish the EU well and mean it?

I'm sure many UK citizens can. Given the circumstances, however, that well wishing sentence sounds false and I can't change my mind about that no matter how hard I try.

All she is saying is that the UK is not physically moving anywhere - not to Asia, not to Africa, not to the Americas or to Australasia. Still in exactly the same place - the continent of Europe.

Honestly: did she need to specify that, if without ulterior motives? Does she really think European people are now expecting Albion to take off from the ocean in a phantasmagoric spaceship?

the deep and special partnership we hope to enjoy – as your closest friend and neighbour – with the European Union once we leave

The neighbour part is correct (see above), the friend part is what she hope the relationship will be like post-Brexit. Friendly.

The neighbour part is pointless IMHO. Even without dragging European history in (which would only go to EU's credit), everybody can see how many neighbouring countries in the world cannot stand each other still now.

The friends part as expressed like that sounds false. Why not just stating something like: we assure since now of our unconditional friendship even after we leave ? Instead, she's already setting conditions: a deep and special partnership. In plain idiom: "our friendship doesn't come for free". You will say that I'm going behind her words: maybe I am, but have no doubt that every single word is carefully weighed and pondered in this kind of letters, over and over and over again.

This legislation will, wherever practical and appropriate, in effect convert the body of existing European Union law (the “acquis”) into UK law.  This means there will be certainty for UK citizens and for anybody from the European Union who does business in the United Kingdom

She forgot to add "wherever practical and appropriate" also in the second sentence, but I don't doubt it was in good faith.

The law she is talking about will be a quick and effective measure to implement but also only temporary in nature. It is intended to avoid a "cliff-edge" scenario that some businesses (and to some extent EU citizens) are fearful of.

My point was simply that those words "wherever practical and appropriate" are there to invalidate whatever announcement or promise goes along with them.

When it comes to the return of powers back to the United Kingdom, we will consult fully on which powers should reside in Westminster and which should be devolved to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  But it is the expectation of the Government that the outcome of this process will be a significant increase in the decision-making power of each devolved administration

Don't come washing your dirty linen in public! Is this how you respect your "closest friend and neighbour"?

I don't understand your comment in relation to this point. Can you explain it, please?

Why should the EU care on how powers are distributed within a state that is not a member state? This paragraph was inserted only to wheedle the Scots and the Northern Irish people.

In security terms a failure to reach agreement would mean our cooperation in the fight against crime and terrorism would be weakened

"Oooops, we hadn't thought about that. Help!"

Wrong. Clearly the British government has thought about it. But, mentioning it was probably a gentle hint to the EU that the UK desires to get an agreement within the 2 year period and that it is in the interests of all sides that an agreement is reached in that time scale.

OK I admit I was wrong on this point, thank you for clearing it Alfie.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru

I'm sure many UK citizens can. Given the circumstances, however, that well wishing sentence sounds false and I can't change my mind about that no matter how hard I try.

What circumstances?

Honestly: did she need to specify that, if without ulterior motives? Does she really think European people are now expecting Albion to take off from the ocean in a phantasmagoric spaceship?

No, she didn't need to say it, but it has been something that she and her ministers have said frequently in the UK since she became PM.

The neighbour part is pointless IMHO. Even without dragging European history in (which would only go to EU's credit), everybody can see how many neighbouring countries in the world cannot stand each other still now.

The friends part as expressed like that sounds false. Why not just stating something like: we assure since now of our unconditional friendship even after we leave ? Instead, she's already setting conditions: a deep and special partnership. In plain idiom: "our friendship doesn't come for free". You will say that I'm going behind her words: maybe I am, but have no doubt that every single word is carefully weighed and pondered in this kind of letters, over and over and over again.

Perhaps it doesn't translate well into French, German or Italian (whatever your first language is), but "friends", "neighbours", "friendly", "neighbourly" are all positive and sound good in English.

As for your "unconditional friendship" suggestion,   :D :D :D :D :D you're joking, right? Think about what "unconditional" means and apply it to international relations. And given the "punitive" divorce settlement sentiments coming out of Brussels, it would be a very one-sided unconditional friendship and the UK would be stupid to offer it. Might as well just bend over and wait to be violated.

T. May's letter also addresses Angela Merkel's desire for clarity on how the UK sees its future relationship with the European Union.

"I think it’s actually to our advantage to have the United Kingdom define its negotiating stance in great detail and clarity and possible to also clearly outline how it sees its future relationship with the European Union."

My point was simply that those words "wherever practical and appropriate" are there to invalidate whatever announcement or promise goes along with them.

I think you are being too harsh, Anton, and in this case I think you are wrong.

Why should the EU care on how powers are distributed within a state that is not a member state? This paragraph was inserted only to wheedle the Scots and the Northern Irish people.

I think the EU most certainly does care about the UK post Brexit. 

European leaders will insist that the UK rules out tax dumping as part of any trade deal struck during Brexit negotiations, it emerged today.

Donald Tusk, the European Council president, also warned this morning that a deal must “ensure a level playing field in terms of competition and state aid, and must encompass safeguards against unfair competitive advantages through, inter alia, fiscal, social and environmental dumping”.

And with regard to the regions in the UK, I think it might be because of Nicola Sturgeon's visits to EU leaders and her wish for Scotland to breakaway from the UK and also with regard to Northern Ireland.

Nicola Sturgeon in Brussels to press case for keeping Scotland in EU

First minister to meet EC president Juncker, saying ‘everything must be on the table to protect Scotland’s place in Europe’

Nicola Sturgeon is to hold talks with the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, in Brussels as she attempts to keep Scotland in the European Union.

The first minister is also expected to meet the European parliament president, Martin Schulz, and Guy Verhofstadt, the former Belgian prime minister and leader of the Liberal group at the European parliament.

"We don't want to have hard borders between Northern Ireland and the Republic," said Jean-Claude Juncker.

"We want to have the Good Friday agreement not being put under risks, and we want land borders being as open as possible," Mr Juncker said.

Mr Tusk said: "We will seek flexible and creative solutions aiming at avoiding a hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland. It is of crucial importance to support the peace process in Northern Ireland."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:58:36 PM by Alfie »

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Brexit, all true
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Interview with Charles Tannock, not exactly the last come on European politics although I'm sure some forum members will disagree. From yesterday's 12h GMT news report on TV5 Monde. In French but here are some highlights:

- 05:17 He thinks that it is very understandable that all 27 (not only Germany) insist to settle the breakaway matter before starting talks on a new commercial treaty, contrary to what Ms. May's government is pushing for.

- 06:26 He is "very angry" (beaucoup faché) at Mr. Nigel Farage for adopting the tough attitude towards other Members of European Parliament: "We need charm, we need good manners, we need to remain good friends with the 27".

- 06:40 He reiterates his opposition to Brexit: "Brexit is a selfish and destructive move. Both the EU and the UK will weaken as a consequence, to Mr. Putin's great delight"

- 07:00 He hopes breakaway negotiations will end well, but he reckons there's no guarantee they will.

- 07:33 He is "totally against" (complètement contre) the British government attempt at mixing up the security question with the commercial question. It is unacceptable to use the security question as a bartering good. Putting both matters together in the same paragraph in the "Article 50" letter was a mistake. Fight against organized crime and terrorism must remain top priority no matter what. Before the Brexit referendum, nobody campaigned for a slackening of security measures liable to endanger innocent citizens' lives.

Follow this link if interested, start at 3:50 :

http://information.tv5monde.com/archives/les-jt/monde?date=2017-04-05T12%3A00Z

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton - Charles Tannock might possibly be a classic 'Remainer' and he has a vested interest - at some stage he is going to lose his fat salary, benefits and lifestyle as an MEP. Good !

The important developments in the Brexit process are happening behind the scenes. Much of the comment we see, from bruised Folks here and there, is just grinding of the axe.

Thanks for the info. and link but for myself, I don't particularly care what Charles T thinks.
Let's just get on with it and IMO much will fall into place.

Nil desperandum.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
The important developments in the Brexit process are happening behind the scenes. Much of the comment we see, from bruised Folks here and there, is just grinding of the axe.

I agree. Whoever this chap is, he is of no consequence. The frothing of the mouth via the European parliament is unedifying and just makes me more determined to leave behind such a shoddy cesspit.

Diplomacy via the key players is what will count, not the pitbulls put up for public display.

However, I thought this a calm and dignified response to one of the pitbulls, who like many senior EU MEP's, seems to be revelling in being obnoxious for the sake of it.

https://www.facebook.com/britu2/videos/1429320530422988/

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

What circumstances?

You know Alfie. The hate campaign, the fact that, if many British people sincerely wish well to the EU, many others really hope to see it tumble down (we have evidence even in this forum I think). I guess Mr. Farage answered your question with his insulting attitude, anyway.

No, she didn't need to say it, but it has been something that she and her ministers have said frequently in the UK since she became PM.

Well, so? This is an official letter to the President of the European Council, not a press release to British media.

As for your "unconditional friendship" suggestion,   :D :D :D :D :D you're joking, right? Think about what "unconditional" means and apply it to international relations.

Replace "unconditional" with "sincere", the point remains. She's offering nothing but a selfish friendship.

And given the "punitive" divorce settlement sentiments coming out of Brussels, it would be a very one-sided unconditional friendship and the UK would be stupid to offer it. Might as well just bend over and wait to be violated.

Senior British politicians with proven EU experience deem that that money is due.

I think the EU most certainly does care about the UK post Brexit. 

European leaders will insist that the UK rules out tax dumping as part of any trade deal struck during Brexit negotiations, it emerged today.

Donald Tusk, the European Council president, also warned this morning that a deal must "ensure a level playing field in terms of competition and state aid, and must encompass safeguards against unfair competitive advantages through, inter alia, fiscal, social and environmental dumping".

I wrote clearly: "on how powers are distributed". Neither quote above applies.

And with regard to the regions in the UK, I think it might be because of Nicola Sturgeon's visits to EU leaders and her wish for Scotland to breakaway from the UK and also with regard to Northern Ireland.

Nicola Sturgeon in Brussels to press case for keeping Scotland in EU

First minister to meet EC president Juncker, saying ‘everything must be on the table to protect Scotland’s place in Europe’

Nicola Sturgeon is to hold talks with the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, in Brussels as she attempts to keep Scotland in the European Union.

The first minister is also expected to meet the European parliament president, Martin Schulz, and Guy Verhofstadt, the former Belgian prime minister and leader of the Liberal group at the European parliament.

I think you are confirming my point here: that paragraph in the "Article 50" letter was inserted to wheedle the Scots. And even if they received Sturgeon, nothing proves European leaders wish to meddle on how powers will be distributed in post-Brexit UK.

"We don't want to have hard borders between Northern Ireland and the Republic," said Jean-Claude Juncker.

"We want to have the Good Friday agreement not being put under risks, and we want land borders being as open as possible," Mr Juncker said.

Mr Tusk said: "We will seek flexible and creative solutions aiming at avoiding a hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland. It is of crucial importance to support the peace process in Northern Ireland."

They clearly worry about the border situation between member State Ireland and notoriously troubled Northern Ireland, not about distribution of powers in post-Brexit UK.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton there is no 'hate campaign' against the EU (maybe Farage apart), even though I and millions more, think the EU is a mess in many many ways and will be very glad when the UK is out.

It's not unfriendly to leave the EU in accordance with the rights enshrined in the Treaties that allow us to do so.

It is quite possible to feel sincere friendship to our previous Partners in the EU after leaving the EU. As for selfish, if you think the 27 EU nations do not pursue their own interests inside the EU in a selfish way then I suggest you are wrong.

As for the punitive divorce settlements - Senior British politicians with proven EU experience deem that that money is NOT due. I mean - so what ?
Furthermore, I have read that the UK's contribution to EU assets over the last 40 years which needs to be reimbursed, MORE than outweighs the contrived 'divorce settlement'.

You really don't like UK's brexit do you ? Don't worry, Belgium will remain our Friend.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Interview with Denis Macshane, another one experienced in European politics. From yesterday's 12h GMT news report on TV5 Monde. In French but here are some highlights (interviewee pronunciation not always clear, I try my best):

- 10:00 The real problem is the tug-of-war between Ms. May and the Brexit hardliners in her group, whose bursting reaction to the Gibraltar question, for example, touches to farce (ça devient presque comique).

- 11:02 The problem is internal to our country. Albeit a little shocked and regretful by our decision to leave, other EU members accept it. All they ask for is that we calmly fulfill our financial obligations now, even if it is an "expensive bill" to use Jean-Paul Juncker's words. But in our country, all of the anti-European right wing press, the conservatives, they call to arms (ils montent aux créneaux), they say: "No no no! It's the Europeans who should pay us for leaving Europe" (he chuckles)

- 11:53 (he chuckles again at the question: "Can the UK afford to pay, should the UK pay what demanded by the EU?") Absolutely, let's be serious. Small or big the final amount, staggered along several years, it's not a great part of the budget. We will stop our contributions to the EU budget anyway. It is all feasible if Ms. May manages to lead towards a reasonable Brexit, rather than surrendering to the anti-EU hard wing.

- 12:42 In last year's referendum, 37% of the whole UK electorate voted for exiting. The majority of Constitutions require 40, 50, 60% for such an important constitutional change. Now we see the cost: factories will close, a good part of the City's wealth will be transferred, bankers ventilate about moving somewhere else, it's not very reassuring, there's an ugly rise in xenophobia in our country. I'm not saying there will be a total change from one day to the next, but as time goes by I believe there will be changes in my country.

- 13:40 Political Brexit, or rescission of the treaty, is almost unavoidable by now; but once that done, once gotten rid of all administrative bonds, I hope the English people will then become reasonable, because we have more than one nationalism on the rise in our country: a new English nationalism, a Scottish one, and especially in Ireland.

Follow this link if interested, start at 9:45 :

http://information.tv5monde.com/archives/les-jt/monde?date=2017-04-06T12%3A00Z

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Anton,
1.There was no hate campaign against the EU by Theresa May or the British government.
2. I see the EU as being very selfish. Its friendship is certainly conditional (much like the USA).
3. Why would the EU "worry" about having a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (an EU state and a non-EU territory)? Are there no other hard borders between the EU and other countries?
4. Why are you so against Brexit. Are you British?

Online dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Anton,
1.There was no hate campaign against the EU by Theresa May or the British government.
2. I see the EU as being very selfish. Its friendship is certainly conditional (much like the USA).
3. Why would the EU "worry" about having a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (an EU state and a non-EU territory)? Are there no other hard borders between the EU and other countries?

555 :D

Maybe he is a "Cuckoo Clock" and as such should not comment on EU matters.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Anton,

Well, that would explain his multiple translations from Italian (as well as the French language bit), but I'm still not sure why a Swiss person would be so against Brexit. It's not like Switzerland is a full member of the EU like Britain is.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

Thank you Alfie. I will not reply point by point anymore. I maintain my rendition of the "Article 50" letter as given in reply no. 58, except for the last point that I have already retracted (about security). I think I was right on the mark in all other points, namely in both lines I rendered as "We don't want the cons anymore, but we still want the pros".

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Interview with Denis Macshane, another one experienced in European politics. From yesterday's 12h GMT news report on TV5 Monde. In French but here are some highlights (interviewee pronunciation not always clear, I try my best):

Anton, seriously, there is little point in churning out interviews with biased - not to say corrupt in this case - politicians and airing their anti-brexit stance. For each of these, you can get a different view from any number of equally insignificant pro-brexit players.

The British people had months of this double speak to put up with. To try and weigh up the facts alongside all of the dross. The decision was made.

It's evident to me, based on the new project fear being waged by the EU, that even now, some simply don't get the fact that the vote has to be respected and that the EU can still 'turn' the decision. They can't.

You clearly belong in the camp that regards the decision as unacceptable and it seems to mme you feel genuine anger about it, along with others like Guy Verhofstadt, who has chosen to hurl scorn and derision at those that voted to leave and to me, all this does, as stated time and again, is to reinforce my view that we made the right decision. We are wanted only for our financial contribution and our diplomatic and military clout. Apart from that we have been expected to sit at the back of the class, keep quiet and don't rock the boat by arrogant and pompous anti-British eu politicians like the Belgium mentioned above. And that's why we're leaving.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
should not comment on EU matters

You too, Derek? As long as he/she doesn't violates forum rules, what a member "should" or "should not" comment about is only up to him/herself, regardless of his/her nationality, origin, religion, race, income, gender, and so on and so forth.

Online dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Anton,

Well, that would explain his multiple translations from Italian (as well as the French language bit), but I'm still not sure why a Swiss person would be so against Brexit. It's not like Switzerland is a full member of the EU like Britain is.

Or maybe he is Belgian and well educated but with a total lack of understanding of Britain and the British!!

I think the video caller posted of Steven Woolfe summed up the difference between "us and them".

http://www.facebook.com/britu2/videos/1429320530422988/

"Fellow MEPs that talk about freedom, are very forgetful. The EU talks about Europe being free. That freedom came at a huge cost for Britain in the blood & sacrifice of millions - not the EU project."
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson