Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 22120 times)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Brexit
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2017, 06:29:08 AM »

Hi Teess.

To suggest that the Prime Minister does not have a 'degree of competence' is just easy and empty criticism. Just try it Teess. Why don't you stand for selection as a Parliamentary candidate, work your way through and become an MP and battle to the top of the pile ? TM is a very clever, hardworking and determined Woman battling her way through an almost impossible workload. She'll make some mistakes along the way, as we all do.
A cross Party team is not likely IMO.

Brexiteers may be weighed down under a cacaphony of doom, but here is Roger Bootle of the DT calmly making a few points. I think it's a very good article and I hope Mrs May has time to read it !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/25/10-brexit-canards-need-put-misery/
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

Look at her record. Voted Remain now wants hard Brexit. No election then an election to give her a strong mandate. Now in a minority govt. with her party manifesto shattered. Outperformed now at every turn by a previously hapless Jeremy Corbyn. Even her own party colleagues are just waiting it out before ousting her. Next election will not involve her.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2017, 04:34:29 PM »

Hi Teess.
''Voted Remain now wants hard Brexit.'' Well you must have inside knowledge . . .
I know she was rumoured to have favoured 'remain' but was bright enough to hold her counsel and then take advantage. Clever Lady.
''No election then an election to give her a strong mandate.'' The Tory Govt. had previously changed the rules so that Parliaments would run a full term.
''Outperformed now at every turn by a previously hapless Jeremy Corbyn.'' Actually Mrs May outperformed Corbyn by 56 seats in the General Election and some 800,000 votes.

You are right that TM is definitely up against it with Brexit and the Tory Party. But wait and see. It's just too easy and empty to accuse such a person of not having a degree of competence. 

Did you read that Roger Bootle article - he's a very practical Guy even though he's an MD. I've enjoyed his articles over the years. His message to TM would be, (I guess), keep calm and carry on !

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:56:29 PM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »

Now she has promised to give £1bn to N. Ireland in order to garner the votes of a few rabid, homophobic bigots while as per usual the impoverished north east gets nothing
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »

Now she has promised to give £1bn to N. Ireland in order to garner the votes of a few rabid, homophobic bigots while as per usual the impoverished north east gets nothing

I hear they speak very highly of you? Seriously, how can you say the NE will get nothing?

And just how do you think Corbyn would form a Government in similar circumstances?. Look at the wheeler dealing that went on with the Tories and Lib Dems as well as the current 'coalition'? How do you think Jezza would cope with having to wheeler deal with more than one party?

You are quick to tarnish everyone with your own rabid sanctimony. Whenever you speak, it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:34 PM »

An analysis of the governments 2013 infrastructure plan by the Guardian showed that spend per resident in London was £5,426. In the north east the spend per person was £223.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2017, 10:12:57 AM »

That's a shocking statistic Teess. I wonder how it fits in with total Govt. expenditure in the N.E. ?

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »

Here's another one. Annual transport network spend from 2016 shows per resident to be £1,943 in London. In the north east it is £220. As an example I travelled from my home in Teesside to Berwick -upon -Tweed. I left home at 10:15 and at 12 :20 I was still in Darlington , 12 miles away. Everything was on time.
Blaine Pascal

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »

You can actually find similar transport difficulties in the SE region. Even in London, where I travelled south to north 11 miles to work in West London, if I wanted to travel by public transport, the options weren't good. Either two buses gong through very busy and congested towns and the natural bottleneck of the Thames, or a bus or mainline train including 2/3 tube and train changes, actually going into then coming out of London again, were the options. It wasn't possible in less than an hour and 1.5 hours was more realistic. Even by car, which was my option, could be a nightmare.

When I moved out of London to it's west, my journey to work was 66 miles. If I took the slow train which stopped everywhere, plus with one change of train, the journey took nearly two hours and would end 5 minutes from my office. The fare wasn't unreasonable but the time taken was. If I caught the fast train, I could go direct without stopping to Paddington and then come out again for one stop - easy. Except for the fact that because it went straight into London, the cost was stratospheric! I used my car.

It's also worth remembering that over a 3rd of the UK's population lives in London and the SE. It's also the powerhouse of the UK, so understandably spending on infrastructures would be greater there. But I agree more could be spent on other regions. But I thought the NE was getting an increasing amount and certainly looking at 2016 and 2017 figures on the web, that appears the case.

But importantly, the money going to NI isn't coming from infrastructure plans already announced, as far as I can see.

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »

So where is the £1bn bribe to the DUP coming from? There is no money for the NHS, public sector workers wages frozen for 5 years yet £1bn is found. Is this the magic money tree?
Blaine Pascal

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:30 PM »

Seriously, have a look at the public spending plans. The NHS in in the top three along with pensions. I'd like to think the money has come from foreign aid.

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2017, 10:37:45 PM »

I know its a lot of money but the UK is below average in the EU in its healthcare spend.
Blaine Pascal

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »

I've been looking into public spending by region and it's far too complex to pluck figures out of the air in isolation. Another factor not mentioned is size of population. When looking at expenditure by head of population, the NE is well in the mix. When you look at the various stats closely, two pictures emerge. The first is that London and the SE are the only regions that make a surplus from tax collections, thus a justifiable claim of subsiding others. Second, that if Scotland wants 'independence', it will not be able to survive on it's own. It needs the support of the eu. Some 'independence' eh?

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04033/SN04033.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/569815/Country_and_Regional_Analysis_November_2016.pdf

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »

those pesky Europeans

EU apparatchiks

these European idiots

the EU tosspots

the Euro bureaucrats

Alfie, those pesky apparatchik idiot tosspot bureaucrats want to fine Google for distorting the market!  >:(

Call Farage to save us.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40406542
Village idiots unwelcome here

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

Call Farage to save us.

He's already on his way! I suspect the 2nd coming of UKIP will be as well, or a variation on the theme, if as believed, he returns to the fold with the party then seeing it's main backer also returning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/27/establishment-will-have-seen-nothing-yet-doesnt-tackle-immigration/

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »

Trump brings up the issue of a post-Brexit UK/US trade deal again.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40540340

US President Donald Trump has said he expects a "powerful" trade deal with the UK to be completed "very quickly".

The US president is holding talks with UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss a post-Brexit trade deal.

Ahead of their meeting, Mr Trump hailed the "very special relationship" he had developed with Mrs May.
"There is no country that could possibly be closer than our countries," he told reporters.
"We have been working on a trade deal which will be a very, very big deal, a very powerful deal, great for both countries and I think we will have that done very, very quickly."

Sir Christopher Meyer, a former British ambassador to Washington, said Mr Trump's statement of intent was a "very good sign for the future" and would be "useful" to Mrs May.

But Sir Simon Fraser, a former diplomat who served as a permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office, cast doubt on how soon any trade deal could be reached.

"The point is we can't negotiate with them or anyone else until we've left the European Union.

"And the Americans and others will not negotiate with us until they know what our relationship with the EU is going to be, because the access we have in Europe is hugely important for the advantages that they can get from their relations with us."
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »

Latest news on Torygraph channel...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTSR74rnK8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTSR74rnK8</a>
Village idiots unwelcome here

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #237 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »

The man is making a fool of himself. He should stick to mowing the lawn.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2017, 07:38:27 PM »

Well I'd like to know what you Guys think ?  >:(

I want my UK to leave the EU, even more than ever now, as Italy struggles with no support from the 'lost 27' with thousands of unwanted immigrants arriving monthly, thinking of beloved Austria about to place troops on the border to hold back those same refugees/immigrants from penetrating further into Europe, and Poland, at total odds with the EU sh*tocracy and with their own autonomy in mind, plus pompous unelected ivory tower monsters being delegated to 'negotiate' with the UK. I want no more of this.

Lets go for hard brexit please ! I'm afraid I agree with BJ - go whistle for £90 billion and sell your BMW and Mercedes elsewhere.

The reason the UK needs to LEAVE is IMO, epitomised in what is going on now.
I'm happy that David Davis is ex Royal Marines. He'll need that training.

Anton - what do you think as a Brit ? Tony Blair is irrelevant now.

Happy days.

Teessider

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »

I want a soft Brexit or none at all. I want a return to a stronger pound and 53 bt to the pound. I am OK with freedom of movement but would favour big reductions in non-eu immigration. I would veto Turkey joining the EU. The EU is not perfect but best way to change it is from within
Blaine Pascal
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38