Korat-Farang.com

Brexit

Alfie · 803 · 26077

KiwiCanadian and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I think a united Ireland might be a good idea.
Ireland leaving the EU would be better, TW. Backstop issue solved. :)

If Scotland want to go,  fine.  Let's call their bluffs.  Start building border posts on the Scotish border.
Not all Scots want independence from the UK. Perhaps they can have a referendum on a county by county basis, or a village by village basis or even a house by house basis.

The english taxpayer has been subsidising these territories for decades.
Don't forget the North Sea oil, TW. The UK gets a lof of income from that and I'm sure Scotland would claim it as their own if they got independence.

While we're at it pull out of Nato,  we are tired of propping up Europe's defence. Let the world see how important this insignificant little island really is.
The US is the big boy in NATO, not the UK, and don't forget, we are part of Europe. However, the EU might get its own military force in the not too distant future. Anyway, it's better to have military allies than not to have them.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Thaiwolf

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Roger re NATO. Who is going to challenge Britain whilst we have Trident and the USA as best, best mates. Most European disputes have been internecine. Why should we defend Europe's Eastern border whilst Germany is cheerfully buying all its gas from Russia?

Pull out , USA and Canada appreciate us - the United States of Europe do not. Time to reach them a lesson !!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Being "best, best mates" with the USA means being a poodle to the US. They only want "friends" who agree with them.

Online dam12641

Speaking of best mates........

The Irish are finally admitting how damaging a no deal Brexit would be for them.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1159924/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Ireland-no-deal-Boris-Johnson-Leo-Varadkar-backstop-latest
They should have remembered who their real friends are and supported us in the negotiations with the EU politbureau.
(and I'm 1/2 Irish. "Only the good half as the Irish say".)

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Dam mentions Ireland who will be fully 'hoisted on their own petard' if no-deal goes through - serves them bl**dy right. I imagine Germany might be wondering what to do with all those Mercedes, BMW and Audi too. The EU should have helped us leave nicely as that lovely Dr Alice Weidel advised. Expect sparks to fly when the GBP 39 billion comes up for discussion. KC - yes we should be nice to the Kiwis again but NOT to those bl**dy Aussies  ;)  (unless we now happen to win the Ashes).

Alfie - I don't think we can expect any favours from the USA who are unreliable in Trump mode.
Robert - you OK ?

Not sure about this Cummings fella, I think he should have been kept in lower profile - nevertheless it seems Boris has the job in hand . . . . . or does he ?  Stone me things are happening !

''On Monday, Mr Cummings allegedly threatened Downing Street staff with the sack if they try to block no deal during a blistering attack on Remainer former cabinet ministers who he accused of ‘frustrating’ Brexit during their time in office. The former Vote Leave boss “absolutely tore into” former chancellor Philip Hammond and Greg Clark, the former business secretary, during the 7.55am meeting at Number 10, when he called on SpAds to detail the status of every government department’s no deal planning by Wednesday morning. “He basically said that Hammond and Clark had not only failed to prepare for no deal but actively blocked it,” said an insider.

A source close to Mr Cummings confirmed he had said Mr Hammond and Mr Clark “did not want the country to be ready for no deal for political purposes” and “neglected all sorts of things.” EU officials are now viewing the October EU summit in Brussels as the "no deal Brexit summit", whereas before they had expected EU-27 leaders to mull over another British request to extend the Article 50 deadline
.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/05/no-deal-brexit-now-expected-boris-johnson-dominic-cummings-sets/
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I would treat much of what is written about Cummings with caution. It's all hearsay via 3rd parties and not verified. Angry civil servants who have been used as scapegoats by Hammond et al have already anonymously leaked how Hammond intervened with some and  stopped other preparations. It's very much in the new Governments interests to ensure this fact gets wider media coverage than initially reported. It all seems a game of double bluff at the moment and I wonder what Gove, who is working closely with Cummings is up to? But it's nice to have the cabinet all singing from the same hymn book for a change - for now.

Online KiwiCanadian

. KC - yes we should be nice to the Kiwis again but NOT to those bl**dy Aussies  ;)  (unless we now happen to win the Ashes).

Thanks Roger,
I see that Mike Pompeo has just visited Awstrailia, trying to drum up support against China, cant trust them Aussies.

We need the UK to help take back NZ from the Chinese influence, its massive.  As the only country that NZ gives multiple entry visa's over a 5 yr term is China, go figure!  (Don't get me going).

Awstrailia the smallest continent, just left of 2 and a half big Islands in the Pacific.

KC
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Crikey KC ? We'll have to help you with that and I can eat lotsa Lambs legs and Aussie cricketers -  ;)

Here's more to worry about :-

''A no-deal Brexit will mean the EU’s negotiating strategy has failed but Brussels is already working to ensure the blame for the disorderly exit is pinned on Britain. No deal has never appeared more likely. The UK and the EU are entrenched in their red lines over the Irish border backstop ahead of the Brexit deadline of October 31.

Boris Johnson has ruled out any Brexit extension and Brussels insists it will not renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement. The EU is now working on the basis that no deal, which will bring economic harm and major disruption to both sides, will happen on Halloween. But who will carry the can for the expected failure of the last three years of painstaking negotiations?

Theresa May’s habitual surrender of the negotiating pen to the European Commission, which handled negotiations on behalf of the EU-27, and her backing of a deal MPs could not support means she is culpable. Brussels insisted that the Irish border issue be dealt with in the Withdrawal Agreement, arguing the divorce treaty, as opposed to talks on the future trading relationship, was the only way  to legally guarantee the border stayed invisible.

But that stance, and the failure to predict British sensibilities over Brussels’ tinkering with borders, ultimately doomed the talks and cost Mrs May her job. The backstop has now become totemic for Brexiteers and for the EU, which cannot abandon it without being seen to throw Ireland under the bus.

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, insists that no deal is entirely a British decision. Given the EU veteran’s legacy is at stake that is understandable as is his stance that the only way to avoid no deal is to agree the Withdrawal Agreement. British accusations that the EU’s inflexibility over the Irish border backstop is forcing a no deal cut little ice in Brussels or the capitals of the EU-27 at the moment. The idea the backstop is “undemocratic” after it was rejected three times by the House of Commons is also given short shrift. The EU-27 remains united behind the idea that a damaging no deal Brexit, which will harm economies in the EU as well as Britain, is the UK’s fault.

Britain is seen as an unreliable negotiating partner, an impression the elevation of the disliked Boris Johnson has done little to dispel. But Mr Barnier had one job; Brexit damage control. His task, as he frequently said, was to avoid the economic damage of the disorderly exit that appears increasingly inevitable. As no deal takes it toll in Ireland, on French fisherman and the Belgian economy, the temptation will grow among EU-27 leaders to point fingers at the commission and Mr Barnier.

But, having handed Mr Barnier his restrictive negotiating mandate, the EU-27 leaders are complicit in his strategy. The leaders, especially Emmanuel Macron, have actually consistently taken a tougher line than the commission at Brexit summits. Exasperated by the endless political drama in Britain, they may conclude that Mr Barnier did the best he could given the circumstances. Mr Barnier’s supporters can point to the fact that the EU has not made exceptions to its single market rules for Britain.

Allowing such “cherry-picking” would imperil the basis of the entire EU economy and their prosperity, they argue, and the bloc has remained united in the face of British efforts to divide and conquer it. Leo Varadkar is the likely loser in any no deal blame game. The Irish prime minister nailed his colours firmly to the EU mast and insisted on the backstop but is desperate to avoid his government being blamed for the return of a hard border in Ireland. His insistence that there will be no physical infrastructure on the border, deal or no deal, is likely to come back to haunt him if Britain crashes out and put him under significant pressure at home.

As for the European Commission, it will be handing over to a new president on November 1 but shows no sign of changing its strategy. Its price for reopening talks after what it sees as an unsustainable no deal Brexit will be a backstop style solution for the Irish border.
''

Dr Alice Weidel says  . . . ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/06/should-michel-barnier-carry-can-damaging-no-deal-brexit/
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Gripping stuff - crikey EU if you worry about BJ don't mess with Gove !   ;)

''Michael Gove has accused Brussels of refusing to negotiate with the UK over a new Brexit deal as the EU said the current agreement was the "best possible" option. Mr Gove, who is in charge of no-deal preparations, said he was "deeply saddened" by the EU stance after diplomats in Brussels warned that no-deal now appeared the UK's "central scenario".
Following a meeting of the Government's Brexit "war cabinet", he said that while the Government wanted to negotiate in a "spirit of friendliness", the EU had to understand Britain was leaving on October 31 "deal or no deal".

"I am deeply saddened that the EU now seem to be refusing to negotiate with UK. The Prime Minister has been clear that he wants to negotiate a good deal with the European Union," he said. "He will apply all the energy of the Government and ensure that in the spirit of friendliness we can negotiate a new deal. "But one thing is clear: the old deal that was negotiated has failed to pass the House of Commons three times now, so we do need a new approach. "Whatever happens, while we remain ready and willing to negotiate, the the EU must appreciate that we're leaving on October 31, deal or no deal.
"

Robert ? Anton ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/06/brexit-latest-news-boris-johnson-no-deal/

Online KiwiCanadian

Roger,
I have been watching Nigel Farage for some time, I believe that he is the one for getting Boris on the "job".
When you hear so meany times when Britain wanted or suggested something from Brussels, it seemed to be always turned down.

So how will the EU be without the 39 billion from the UK after the 31st of October. I think the fire works will be very hot in Brussels on the 31st!
Boris & his team have a very hard job ahead to get ready for the no deal, this should have been done 3 yrs ago, but we all new that traitor May was stalling, until she was thrown out.

As is said in your previous post the EU will throw Ireland under the bus on the back stop issue, from what I understand it was the powers to be in Dublin that wanted the back stop, so let them suffer. Seems Boris was quite happy with the status quo.

Just my $0.02 worth

KC

Online Thaiwolf

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Ireland is screwed. The backstop was to be used to avoid a hard border but now due to EU intransigence we are plummeting towards a hard brexit ie a hard border. Well done Ireland, be warned, don't mess with Boris.

Somehow Boris has completely outfoxed the EU. What price Ireland leaving the EU?

Now watch the EU disintegrate. They will not get all 27 states agreeing no negotiation and a hard brexit - who of the 27 will be brave enough to break the impasse?

All Boris has to do now is get rid of parasitic Scotland.

Online KiwiCanadian

I cant agree more TW.
I think the snowball is starting to roll I hope Italy and Greece will be out, not long after the UK even some of the Balkan states too.

The end of the technocrats.

KC

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
What I have liked so far about the new UK government is that they are prepared to challenge the EU's narrative and fire back their own arguments to the EU's positions, something that May failed to do. Whether that results in a deal being agreed or in a no-deal exit remains to be seen but it is certainly a welcome change (in my opinion).

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Agreed Alfie - a welcome change indeed !

A bit of lateral thinking in the DT today - thought provoking :-

''Brexit isn’t a leap into the abyss because the darkness is already here. Our elite is too blinded with anti-populist delirium to notice . . . . . . .

. . . . . . The fact that Brussels is plotting to build an EU army, even though it has spent years happily leeching off American defence money is deeply suspect. Is it really about nobly protecting the international community from Trumpian capriciousness, following the latter’s decision to ditch the Iran deal, as Macron intimates? Or are we witnessing Europe’s bitter “colony complex” collide with its darkest fantasies of empire, the result of years spent slimily sponging off America, while spitefully scheming to one day rip away the rug?
''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/08/survive-new-global-dark-age-britain-must-leave-tyrannical-eu/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
One for you TW - MMMMmmm those Scots !

Why a no-deal Brexit would weaken the case for Scottish independence

''At one and the same time, the EU both subsumes the nation state and seduces the separatists by offering them safe harbour. It is also perfectly true that Scotland would have far more influence in a newly-liberated UK than, as a tiny little country on the fringes of Northern Europe, it is ever likely to enjoy in the EU. But for now, these truisms cut little ice amid the intensity of the Brexit debate.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/08/no-deal-brexit-would-weaken-case-scottish-independence/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
An election is coming soon in Italy and if Matteo Salvini has success, more trouble for the EU ?

Interesting article in the DT today :-

"Just look at the chaos across the Channel and it's blindingly obvious we are right to leave the EU "

''In Eastern and central Europe I find a constantly growing anger and resentment against the EU. Not just because Berlin and Brussels have spent recent years attempting to force migrant quotas on these countries. But because time and again the Western European countries treat their fellow member states to the East like the slow kids in the class. MEPs from countries like the Netherlands berate their Eastern European colleagues, treating them as though they are backwards and bigoted. They lecture them as though the West is best and that until such a time as it grows up the East needs to sit in the corner and write lines. But the east-west divide is not the only one in Europe.

Across Northern Europe – and nowhere more so than Germany – there is an ever-simmering resentment about the marriage they have found themselves stuck in. After bailing out the Mediterranean countries, northern Europe does not feel any closer to Athens or Rome. There is simply a deepened, engrained awareness that the south of the continent is another country where they do things differently.

And of course it is not as though southern Europe lacks sources of resentment towards northern Europe. Greek and Italian politicians do not look north and see their saviours. They look north and see unnecessary punishers at best and slave-masters at worst. In reality, both north and south are at fault. But the point is less over who is to blame than the fact that everybody thinks everyone else is . . . .

. . . . . There is no shame in having spent these years attempting to ensure that we remain a sovereign, self-governing nation, with a Parliament elected by and accountable to the people. Indeed, what question should better occupy a nation?
''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/09/looking-chaos-across-channel-obvious-right-leave-eu/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Some interesting reading in the DT these days - Daniel Hannan - straight talking from him :-

''Sure enough, the EU pushed and pushed and, shamefully, Britain conceded and conceded. By the end, we were reduced to taking our stand on just one face-saving point. We would accept the financial penalties, the period of non-voting membership, the one-sided acceptance of EU rules, even the principle of the backstop – provided it was not permanent. Parliament, unlike the PM, had a bottom line. It was not willing to swap an arrangement that had an exit mechanism (EU membership) for one that did not (the backstop).

It should have been game set and match to Brussels. Here was the fifth largest economy in the world, the second largest in Europe, offering to become a captive market for EU exporters, retaining the various barriers that keep out more efficient global rivals. Here was the country that had twice helped to liberate the continent volunteering for semicolonial status. All the EU had to do was to offer a standard break clause of the kind contained in almost every international treaty
.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/10/now-eu-has-lost-chance-humiliate-us-time-renegotiate-deal-dignity/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Calming words from Calais :-

"The head of the French channel ports has dismissed fears of no-deal Brexit chaos at Dover or Calais, and has praised the 'highly professional' UK preparations. There have been concerns Britain will be unprepared for a possible no-deal Brexit on October 31, with the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) only a few weeks ago warning about disruption to a number of areas of the UK economy. Of particular worry is the key trade route at Dover-Calais, where there have been fears inadequate preparations could turn the Garden of England into a lorry car park, and bring the county to a stand-still.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7346769/Head-Frances-channel-ports-dismisses-fears-No-Deal-Brexit-chaos-Calais-Dover.html

Online sfs

• KFers beyond Korat
That was welcome news Roger and the fact he raised the point about some people scaremongering unnecessarly is good to hear too.

Not so good to hear was the rediculous comment from Caroline Lucas suggesting an all female emergency cabinet and has lots of criticism since, however she goes on to explain 'Defending her proposal, Ms Lucas told BBC Radio 5 Live: "It is a generalisation and there are plenty of exceptions, but I would argue, generally and in my experience, women tend to be less tribal and tend to find it easier to establish trust more quickly.

Has she been asleep for the past three years whilst we had a woman in charge, or is she just plain stupid.
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Philip Hammond, Dominic Grieve and Co. will love this  ;)

''The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that Stephen Barclay, the Brexit Secretary, has now signed the “commencement order” that will trigger the end of the supremacy of EU law in the UK on Hallowe’en, in a major moment on the path to the country’s exit. In a separate attack on Mr Johnson’s predecessor, a Downing Street source said it was “surprising” and “alarming” that Theresa May had failed to initiate the signing of the order, which will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act on Oct 31 . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . This week, Mr Johnson will travel to Germany and France to insist to Emmanuel Macron, the French president, and Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, that Parliament cannot stop Brexit. Mr Johnson is expected to tell them that they have two months to agree a deal acceptable to the Cabinet and Parliament, without which the UK will exit without an agreement on Hallowe’en
.''

Let's see how it goes and Good Luck Boris !   

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/17/downing-street-slams-dishonest-tory-rebels/