Korat-Farang.com

The President Trump thread . . .

Roger · 187 · 7302

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Two hilarious but telling recent video clips of Trump.

The first shows Donald Trump pushing himself past the prime minister of Montenegro during a tour of NATO's new headquarters on 25 May. It looks to me like he did it because he wanted to be first in front of the cameras. Unnecessarily aggressive, in my opinion.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iimj0j4NYME" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iimj0j4NYME</a>

The second appears to show Melania Trump swatting Donald's hand away. For what reason I don't know. What I find interesting is that Donald Trump seems to want to do it because the other couple are holding hands. Trump looks to his right, sees the other couple holding hands and then immediately indicates to Melania to do the same. She seems to initially agree but then suddenly changes her mind. But, it's all about "The Donald".  :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfYF_RTEc0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfYF_RTEc0</a>
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Wizard

Some positive notes on the Trump Administration. My brother is an adviser to the Atlanta Federal Reserve. He said new job numbers are coming and they look very good. The economy is getting better each month and much better than the Obama Administration. As far as NATO, if you belong to a country club and you fall behind on your dues your suspended or kicked out. NATO countries, with the exception of 5, have been past due for 20+ years. Even Greece is up to date. NATO members have been promising since the G.W. Bush administration to catch up, but they never do .Obama left the US with 20 Trillion in Debt, so America can't afford to pay welfare to NATO. We have our own welfare problems in the states. ON the negative side, the Russian Investigation is a blown up farce being pushed by the Democrats and the media. A Harvard University study last month reported CNN has reported 93% negative news on Trump's Administration. The Russian Fake News will be settled soon and the new investigation will be on the Obama  Administration on unmasking intercepted communique on Americans illegally. Obama's Admin actually monitored Trump and associates for a year prior to the election. This is going to be a very serious investigation because the unmasking of Americans actually started before Obama's re-election for a second term. The unmasking laws are up for
renewal in December and they will not be renewed without a complete investigation on what has taken placed. Most Americans
don't care about Russia, all they want is jobs and a better economy. Since the economy and jobs are getting better look for an increase in interest rates very soon. In fact, probably two increases in the following 7 months. Since Trump was elected, the US Stock Market or Dow is up 3000 points or 14%. Americans with retirement accounts are very happy, but you won't hear that from CNN or the other main stream media outlets.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Alfie thanks for those 2 clips.
Trump certainly pushes the Montenegro PM back very rudely and then 'puffs himself up' in the middle of the picture. I think the Lady on Trump's left comments and Trump seems to reply and pose again ? Bad boy !
With Melania - a moment of stress for sure. How does she put up with him ?

Well said Wizard. Re NATO, I agree with Trump 100%. Germany as Europe's richest Nation pays just 1.2% - shocking. When I saw Merkel's speech portraying the USA as no longer a reliable ally, it made my blood boil. Pay your agreed share Merkel and then you can comment. If this leads to the weakening of NATO now in the face of an increased threat from Putin's Russia, it will be a disaster. But Merkel's Germany and the other delinquent NATO members, will be to blame.

I'm not sure what the Russia stuff is about - I see nothing wrong with a 'hot-line' between Leaders, but if there was collusion with Russia on hacking or interference in the USA Election - that is serious.

So jobs, the economy and Dow Jones is up. That's always good.

DT is a loose cannon for sure but he deserves a fair hearing from the Media.
I hope some good comes from the 'treeshake' he brings. ATB

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Wizard, what you say about CNN is spot on.

I have stopped watching them because of the incessant Trump bashing.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Some positive notes on the Trump Administration. My brother is an adviser to the Atlanta Federal Reserve. He said new job numbers are coming and they look very good. The economy is getting better each month and much better than the Obama Administration

Don't tell us whom your brother voted for.

Since Trump was elected, the US Stock Market or Dow is up 3000 points or 14%

Passengers of transatlantic cruises must be very satisfied. Until the next crack.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
As far as NATO, if you belong to a country club and you fall behind on your dues your suspended or kicked out. NATO countries, with the exception of 5, have been past due for 20+ years. Even Greece is up to date. NATO members have been promising since the G.W. Bush administration to catch up, but they never do .

Wizard, it doesn't work quite like that. There is no membership fee (dues) so nobody is in arrears and nobody (no country) owes anybody else any money. There is only a target to spend 2% of GDP on defence.

In 2006, NATO allies set a target to spend 2% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) on defence.

NATO imposes no sanctions or penalties on countries who do not meet the 2% target, and no country has it written into their domestic law that the target must be met, either in a given year or averaged over a number of years.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN07134

Measuring fair burden-sharing is more complicated than it seems. At present, Alliance planners use seven metrics to assess the performance of individual nations. These include two defence investment guidelines that often generate headlines, namely for each Ally to spend 2% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) on defence and to spend 20% of national defence budgets on major equipment and related research and development. These guidelines were confirmed again at the 2014 NATO Summit in Wales, when Allied leaders firmly agreed to halt the decline in defence expenditure and aim to move towards the 2% (and 20%) guidelines within a decade, with a view to meeting their NATO Capability Targets and filling NATO's capability shortfalls.

http://www.nato.int/docu/review/2017/Also-in-2017/europe-defense-alliance-sharing-us-burden-security-free/EN/index.htm

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Obama left the US with 20 Trillion in Debt, so America can't afford to pay welfare to NATO.

As I mentioned above, nobody owes the USA any unpaid "dues" and the USA isn't paying any welfare to NATO. Also, nobody is forcing the USA to spend so much of its money on defence. The NATO target is 2% of GDP, but the USA spends way more than that - an average of 4.295% of GDP over the last eight years. See below.

I would suggest the USA spends less on the military - half of what it has been spending over the last eight years would still meet the NATO target comfortably. I'm sure that half of those USD 5,362,359,000,000 could be spent on more pressing domestic issues.

Source for NATO spending figures: http://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2016_07/20160704_160704-pr2016-116.pdf

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Alfie.  ''There is no membership fee (dues) so nobody is in arrears and nobody (no country) owes anybody else any money. There is only a target to spend 2% of GDP on defence.'' .

So Trump is OTT when he talks about arrears being due.
But Trump is 100% correct when he bemoans Germany spending just 1.2% on Defence, 11 years after agreeing to move towards spending 67% more, i.e. 2%.

Italy, Spain, Belgium and others spend more than Germany.

I don't know what USA deployments in Europe are atm, but unless Germany and others respond, they may find that Trump resolves the situation in his own way, by making cuts that are critical to Europe's security. Then EU Nations may need to spend 2%, or more than 2%, to reinforce their own security with the mooted EU army.

So come on Mrs Merkel - time to meet your Country's promise of 2006 and show a good example to errant Spain, Italy, Belgium the Netherlands and so on.

(Thanks Alfie for the factual stuff. I see Greece is spending a higher % than the UK - but I guess that's with neighbouring Turkey in mind!).

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Yesterday at Lamphun Immigration for a 90 day, I bumped into a mild mannered American, 'Rick', and he touched briefly on the subject of Trump. Rick was frankly inconsolable about Trump's childishness, his tendency to bully and lack of basic human manners.

One American truly but truly appalled by his President.

I was reflecting again on DT pushing the Montenegro PM aside at the photoshoot.
Really that was 5 year old stuff. DT is massively insecure to behave so and that makes him dangerous.

Let's hope some good falls from the treeshake and also, that we don't all get blown up.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
It looks to me like he did it because he wanted to be first in front of the cameras.

With the Mussolinian grimace he likes to put up when trying to be taken seriously (at 0:06).

Unnecessarily aggressive, in my opinion.

His left arm is hidden but it would seem like he is patting Marković on his back in a friendly manner, also because Marković seems to be returning the gesture with his right hand if you look well at 0:05.

Even so, definitely an unnecessarily disgraceful behaviour by a man in his position, even if done without real aggressiveness (Freud would carp on this point). How to keep anti-Americanism high everywhere...

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Melania Trump nudges President Trump to place his hand over his chest during the national anthem.

Melania and her (son?) were clearly waiting and ready to do it. Trump's mind must have been miles away. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEkA8APcIZs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEkA8APcIZs</a>

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
 ;D
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
A land and sea blockade, expelling Qatari nationals and Al Jazeera under threat.

The Indy comment that DT passed through Saudi with his 'wrecking ball' recently.
Is this part of President Trump's 'treeshake' ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/qatar-crisis-saudi-arabia-uae-bahrain-donald-trump-ties-severed-egypt-yemen-patrick-cockburn-a7774266.html

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
^ More like it's Trump meddling in stuff he has little knowledge of and opening his big mouth (or tweeting) with little or no care for the consequences of his ignorance and meddling until it's too late.

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
DT is an embarrassment even to the US. I can't see him lasting his four years.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Last night's Swiss newscast in French, re-broadcast this morning on TV5 Monde, included a short interview to Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe: "one of USA's most influential political figures" as described by the anchor man. McAuliffe answers in English but an interpreter covers his voice. Highlights from McAuliffe's answers:

- Trump has undermined and is undermining USA prestige around the world (at around 01:00 and at around 03:20 of the video)

- Trump's tweets are an embarrassment to the whole country (at around 02:20)

- Trump will have no voice on climate issues: we will act as Governors to comply with the Paris treaty (at around 03:30)

http://www.rts.ch/play/tv/19h30/video/le-gouverneur-de-virginie-terry-mcauliffe-sur-notre-plateau?id=8737986

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
From Teess earlier - ''DT is an embarrassment even to the US.''

And not just DT - I could scarcely believe my eyes reading the words of President Trump's new top appointment - Anthony Scaramucci. With due deference to the USA - it seems Scaramucci has started this important role in the mode of an unbridled 'Moron'.

It's hard to see a good outcome. God Bless America.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/27/anthony-scaramucci-white-house-reince-priebus-steve-bannon

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
An interesting development if what is reported in this article is true.

9 August 2017

There was no hack of the Democratic National Committee’s system on July 5 last year—not by the Russians, not by anyone else. Hard science now demonstrates it was a leak—a download executed locally with a memory key or a similarly portable data-storage device. In short, it was an inside job by someone with access to the DNC’s system. This casts serious doubt on the initial “hack,” as alleged, that led to the very consequential publication of a large store of documents on WikiLeaks last summer.

https://www.thenation.com/article/a-new-report-raises-big-questions-about-last-years-dnc-hack

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
And from the same article. It's all interesting stuff but I have highlighted in red what I, IMHO, think is the most concerning.

It is now a year since the Democratic National Committee’s mail system was compromised—a year since events in the spring and early summer of 2016 were identified as remote hacks and, in short order, attributed to Russians acting in behalf of Donald Trump. A great edifice has been erected during this time. President Trump, members of his family, and numerous people around him stand accused of various corruptions and extensive collusion with Russians. Half a dozen simultaneous investigations proceed into these matters. Last week news broke that Special Counsel Robert Mueller had convened a grand jury, which issued its first subpoenas on August 3. Allegations of treason are common; prominent political figures and many media cultivate a case for impeachment.

The president’s ability to conduct foreign policy, notably but not only with regard to Russia, is now crippled. Forced into a corner and having no choice, Trump just signed legislation imposing severe new sanctions on Russia and European companies working with it on pipeline projects vital to Russia’s energy sector. Striking this close to the core of another nation’s economy is customarily considered an act of war, we must not forget. In retaliation, Moscow has announced that the United States must cut its embassy staff by roughly two-thirds. All sides agree that relations between the United States and Russia are now as fragile as they were during some of the Cold War’s worst moments. To suggest that military conflict between two nuclear powers inches ever closer can no longer be dismissed as hyperbole.

All this was set in motion when the DNC’s mail server was first violated in the spring of 2016 and by subsequent assertions that Russians were behind that “hack” and another such operation, also described as a Russian hack, on July 5. These are the foundation stones of the edifice just outlined. The evolution of public discourse in the year since is worthy of scholarly study: Possibilities became allegations, and these became probabilities. Then the probabilities turned into certainties, and these evolved into what are now taken to be established truths. By my reckoning, it required a few days to a few weeks to advance from each of these stages to the next. This was accomplished via the indefensibly corrupt manipulations of language repeated incessantly in our leading media.

Lost in a year that often appeared to veer into our peculiarly American kind of hysteria is the absence of any credible evidence of what happened last year and who was responsible for it. It is tiresome to note, but none has been made available. Instead, we are urged to accept the word of institutions and senior officials with long records of deception. These officials profess “high confidence” in their “assessment” as to what happened in the spring and summer of last year—this standing as their authoritative judgment. Few have noticed since these evasive terms first appeared that an assessment is an opinion, nothing more, and to express high confidence is an upside-down way of admitting the absence of certain knowledge. This is how officials avoid putting their names on the assertions we are so strongly urged to accept—as the record shows many of them have done.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Thanks Alfie for those insights.

No suggestion as to who did the leaking in the DNC ?

Your 'red' sentence is most concerning - it's hard to know what's going on in this mist and decisions are taken anyway. MMMmmm.

Troubled times indeed . . .