Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: The President Trump thread . . .  (Read 4864 times)

Roger

• Solid Member +
Re: The President Trump thread . . .
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

Coolkorat

• Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »

Watched John Oliver last night (his show is on HBO - Last Week Tonight). Always both fascinating and scary. The week, amongst other subjects, he looked at Trump and trade and showed how little Trump knows or understands about international trade. It is funny, shocking and frankly terrifying.

Perhaps the scariest part is who Trump has appointed as his advisor on trade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Navarro. Navarro is a swivel-eyed loon shunned by mainstream economists. Worse still, he was hired because Jared Kushner did a hunt on Amazon (the irony) and found his book. As simple as that.

There was a time that I would never conceive that a US president would initiate an actual war simply to protect their position domestically. Not any more; the possibility is now significant.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2018, 08:02:25 AM »

Paula Duncan - one of the Jurors in the Manafort trial, gives some insights into the long deliberations of the Jury. Just one ordinary Lady thinking it through . . .

Maybe she'd make a better President than the incumbent  ;)

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/juror-paul-manafort-trial-speaks-032859787.html

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2018, 09:58:14 PM »

You couldn't make this stuff up  :-[

''Donald Trump’s presidency, it has been widely observed, bends the laws of time. Scandals that would have dogged other presidents for years tend to be here today, gone tomorrow. Fifteen minutes of fame is now likely to count for no more than 15 seconds.

At around 4.30pm, in courtrooms 200 miles apart, a pair of Trump associates delivered a one-two punch – and that was just Tuesday. . . But the day from hell was far from done. The Republican congressman Duncan Hunter and his wife were indicted on corruption charges, namely converting more than $250,000 in campaign money to pay for personal expenses, including dental work, fast food, golf outings and holidays and trips for their family and nearly a dozen relatives.

In 2016, Hunter was the second member of Congress to endorse Trump for president. Earlier this month the first, Chris Collins of New York was indicted for insider trading. The third? Jeff Sessions, now Trump’s out-of-favour attorney general.''

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/25/trumps-terrible-week-stunning-news-and-whispers-of-impeachment

jivvy

• Solid Member +
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »

;D
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »

That's brilliant Jivvy !  ;)

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »

Poor ole' Donald - I almost feel sorry for him  ;)
I DO feel sorry for his Missis though.

''In the book, Daniels writes in sometimes excruciating detail about the president’s genitals and describes her disgust with herself for letting the scene play out.

“It may have been the least impressive sex I’d ever had, but clearly, he didn’t share that opinion.”''

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/18/stormy-daniels-tell-all-book-on-trump-salacious-detail-and-claims-of-cheating

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »

I DO feel sorry for his Missis though.

I agree. Even though she had an idea of what she was marrying into, I am sure she didn't anticipate what was going to happen.

jivvy

• Solid Member +
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2018, 05:26:05 PM »

Donald Trump and his driver were cruising along a country road one evening when a pig ran in front of the car. The driver tried to avoid it but couldn’t. The pig was killed.
The President told his driver to go up to the farmhouse and explain to the owners what happened.
About an hour later the driver staggers back to the car with his clothes in total disarray. He was holding a bottle of wine in one hand, a cigar in the other and smiling happily.
“What happened?” asked the President.
“Well,” the driver replied “the Farmer gave me the wine, his wife gave me the cigar, and their beautiful daughter made mad passionate love to me.”
“My God, what did you tell them?” asked Trump.

The driver replied: “I’m Donald Trump’s driver, and I just killed the pig.........
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »

The sad part of all this is that the UK is fading into the background. Macron has propelled France well ahead of the UK. The UK is in danger of 'blending into the background', akin to Spain and Italy (remember Italy? One of the world's best design and engineering countries). Where is Trump regarding the killing of British citizens by (clearly) Russian operatives, even if in error? Silent. He is off on a Chinese odyssey which will just drive China and Russia closer. Merkel is in jeopardy.

If someone planned to sow chaos globally, they are doing a great job.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »

CK I don't know how you measure this one - ''Macron has propelled France well ahead of the UK''. Not sure that's true although Macron does take a high profile on every front but his support at home is weak  ;)

I don't see the UK blending into the background as you say but IMO it is a good thing for the UK to concentrate on matters at home rather than pursue so many foreign adventures.

Trump's USA have supported the UK in the Skripal incident, adding sanctions and with many expulsions. The USA has been more supportive than say, Germany ?

President Trump today intimates that he may take the higher moral ground  ::)  by withdrawing his support if those testifying against Kavanaugh look convincing - that's an odd one in the circumstances  :D

Is the Trump 'treeshake' doing good in any respect ?

IMO Trump is right to demand fair contributions to NATO and in tackling the USA foreign trade deficit and China with sanctions.

The Jury must be 'out' re. Trump's efforts in N.Korea and Iran ?

It won't be a dull ride - as long as it lasts !!

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2018, 07:38:41 AM »

Pres. Trump seems to support Brett Kavanaugh (atm) and the final Senate vote will take place after a brief FBI investigation. On Friday I noticed these quiet but interesting comments :-

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/09/28/ten-items-corroborate-dr-blasey-fords-allegation-kavanaugh-tried-to-rape-her/

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »

John Oliver tears apart Brett Kavanaugh's performance in his recent testimony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opi8X9hQ7q8

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »

John Oliver tears apart Brett Kavanaugh's performance in his recent testimony.

I watched that last night. Intriguing stuff. But you get the feeling that all this is just delaying the inevitable.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »

An interesting lead in the DT today and worth a read if you have the time and inclination. Kavanaugh looks like a highly dubious character to me even now but the following story - looks very murky indeed. It's a shame we don't have a red blooded USA person on here to put another view.

''Twenty-three years ago I crossed swords with a younger Brett Kavanaugh in one of the weirdest and most disturbing episodes of my career as a journalist. What happened leaves me in no doubt that he lacks judicial character and is unfit to serve on the US Supreme Court for the next thirty years or more, whatever his political ideology. He was not a teenager. It related to his duties in the mid-1990s as Assistant Independent Council for the Starr investigation, then probing Bill and Hillary Clinton in the most sensitive case in the country. To my surprise, the incident has suddenly become a second front in his nomination saga on Capitol Hill. Senator Dianne Feinstein, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, has accused him of violating secrecy laws by revealing the details of a federal grand jury. “Disclosing grand jury information is against the law,” she told Politico. She said it also showed he had misled the Senate by assuring categorically that he had never leaked grand jury material to journalists.

Sen Feinstein released a ‘smoking gun’ document from the archive files of the Starr investigation. It shows Mr Kavanaugh’s efforts to suppress a news story about his wild cross-examination of a witness, including a wayward discussion of “genitalia” that particularly worried him. This piqued my interest since I am named in the document and the witness – Patrick Knowlton – was in a sense ‘my witness’. Sen Feinstein is doubtless unaware of the larger, surreal story behind that week, and what it might suggest about rogue operations at the heart of the US federal system.

The document is one of hundreds of papers released by the US National Archives this year. For me it has been a strange journey back in time, like reading your old STASI file in East Berlin. There is one handwritten note by a Starr prosecutor stating – obliquely – “Ambrose about to go off the deep end”. OK, nobody is perfect.

There were debriefing memos of clandestine meetings I had with federal agents and prosecutors. One from Shoney’s restaurant in Little Rock, Arkansas; another from a dinner at the Occidental Grill in Washington (my old haunt). Mr Knowlton had been called to the grand jury because of a story in the Telegraph. Little did I know then that I was about to turn this brave man’s life upside down.

He was a crime scene witness in the death of Vincent Foster, the White House aide and ex-law partner of Hillary Clinton. At the time this was a mystery case, a big story during my tenure as the Sunday Telegraph’s bureau chief in Washington. I had tracked down Mr Knowlton and discovered that the Starr probe had never spoken to him, even though he had been the first person at the Fort Marcy death location and had highly-relevant information.

I showed him his FBI ‘302’ witness statement from the earlier, superficial Fiske probe. He had never seen the words attributed to him before. Mr Knowlton was stunned. It contradicted his express assertions. He said the FBI had tried repeatedly to badger him into changing his story on key facts. Each time he refused. Now it appeared they had written in what they wanted to hear. He agreed to go public and accused the FBI of falsifying his witness statement. This was to court trouble.
As soon as the print edition of the Telegraph reached Washington, the Starr investigation issued a subpoena calling Mr Knowlton to the grand jury. He was to face questioning by Brett Kavanaugh.

Mr Kavanaugh was then a cocky 30 year-old from the affluent WASP suburbs of Northwest Washington, very much the country club boy with a high sense of his status, and Georgetown Prep and Yale Law School behind him, though only with a humdrum Cum Laude. If anybody was going to wind up my hard-scrabble, salt-of-America witness, it was this child of privilege. What happened first was an eye-opener. Before testifying, he suffered two days of what appeared to be systematic intimidation by a large surveillance team. This was observed by two other witnesses, including Chris Ruddy, now the powerful chief executive of NewsMax.

Mr Ruddy called me in shock from Dupont Circle to recount what he saw. A deeply-shaken Mr Knowlton contacted me from his home several times, until his phone was cut off. Veteran intelligence agents might recognise a method. It had the hallmarks of a boilerplate softening-up operation. In my view – unprovable – the objective was to frighten him before his grand jury appearance. It smacked of police state behaviour on the streets of Washington DC.

I informed Mr Starr’s office that their grand jury witness was being intimidated. So did Mr Knowlton’s lawyer, who asked for witness protection. Nothing was done. Mr Kavanaugh brushed it off, saying the Telegraph was behind all this mischief in order to “sell newspapers”. When Mr Knowlton appeared at the grand jury – thinking he was doing his civic duty – he says he was subjected to two and a half hours of character assassination by Mr Kavanaugh. There was little attempt to find out what he knew about the Foster death scene.

Could it be that the witness was distraught and imagined much of this? Possibly. But Mr Knowlton and his lawyer later filed a federal lawsuit against FBI agents he claimed were working for Brett Kavanaugh, alleging witness tampering and a conspiracy to violate his civil rights. This eventually reached the US District Court in Washington DC. The quixotic case was impossible to prove. Yet it was the action of a man who clearly felt wronged. To this day he blames Mr Kavanaugh personally.

Thousands of documents from the Starr probe are still secret. Others are redacted. It is impossible to know whether Mr Kavanaugh was linked to any intimidation or obstruction of justice, but there is no doubt in my mind that he failed to protect the rights of his own grand jury witness. This is not the place to revisit the Foster case, the electric third rail of US politics. But it is worth noting two points that touch on Mr Kavanaugh.

Few people are aware that the US federal prosecutor handling the death investigation at the outset, Miquel Rodriguez, had resigned earlier from the Starr investigation after a bitter dispute. His resignation letter – later leaked – said he was prevented from pursuing investigative leads, that FBI witness statements did not reflect what witnesses had said, that the suicide verdict was premature, and that his grand jury probe was shut down just as he was beginning to uncover evidence. An informed source told me his work had been sabotaged by his own FBI agents.

The nub of the dispute was over compelling evidence of a wound in Foster’s neck, which contradicted the official version that Foster shot himself in the mouth and had essentially been suppressed. The key crime scene photos had vanished and the FBI labs said others were over-exposed and useless. Mr Rodriguez, by then suspicious, slipped them to the Smithsonian Institution and had them enhanced. One showed a black stippled ring like a gunshot wound in the side of Foster’s neck. This remains secret but I have seen it.

The photo was pivotal. It confirmed what several people who handled the body had originally stated. I interviewed the first rescue worker on the scene and when I asked him about the mouth wound, he grabbed me, and said with frightening intensity: “listen to me buddy, Foster was shot right here,” jabbing his finger into my neck. He said the FBI had pressured him too into changing his story and that official narrative was a pack of lies. Mr Kavanaugh’s reaction to the findings of his colleague can be found in the stash of released documents from the Starr inquiry. One says in his hand-written notes: “startling discovery”, “blew up portions of photo – trauma to the neck on rt side”, “appears to be bullet hole”.

He was presented with a long analysis by Rodriguez that ripped apart the earlier Fiske report and called for an open homicide investigation. This had huge implications for the Clinton presidency and caused an internal crisis in the Starr office. A decision was made to shut down that part of probe. Miquel Rodriguez said he was “forced out”. It was the end of the only genuine probe of the Foster death – conducted under oath – that had ever occurred. Mr Kavanaugh faced a choice. He chose to go with the establishment rather than stick up for his colleague. This proved good for his career. He took over the grand jury, by then a legacy showpiece. His treatment of my witness revealed his colours.

Mr Kavanaugh went on to write the Starr Report on the Foster death. But Mr Knowlton got the last word, literally. He filed a 511-page report at the US Federal Court with evidence alleging a pattern of skullduggery, and asked that it be attached to the Starr Report. The three top judges did not agree but they ordered that a shorter 20-page version be attached at the end, despite vehement protest from the Starr office. This had never happened before in the history of the office of the independent council.

This summary asserts that the FBI had “concealed the true facts”, that there had been witness tampering, and that the report had wilfully ignored facts that refuted its own conclusions. There it sits in perpetuity, a strange rebuke for Mr Kavanaugh by his own fellow judges on the federal bench
.''

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard was the Sunday Telegraph’s Washington Bureau Chief from 1992 to 1997

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/my-battle-brett-kavanaugh-over-truth-ambrose-evans-pritchard/

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »

That's that then. Did I read somewhere that 450 Law Professors in the USA signed a letter to the effect that, the emotional 'status' dsiplayed by Kavanaugh during his refutal should alone have disqualified him from elevation to the Supreme Court ?   :o 

FWIW I agree with them. The Grauniad comments on the wider situation :-

''For all the justified outrage about sexual assault, involving allegations that Kavanaugh denied, the new supreme court justice represents an even bigger lie than his mindless fabrications about “ralphing” and “boofing”. He can blame his weak stomach if he likes; the rest of us are heaving at the sight of a generation-long confidence trick suckering an entire democracy.''

Dr Ford herself had commented that in bringing this action against Kavanaugh, she was stepping in front of a train - that's proved to be so. Have some Senators voted against their 'better judgement' ?  I would guess so.

Pres. Trump's disingenuousness on full display at times . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/06/brett-kavanaugh-confirmation-supreme-court-republicans

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »

Gracing the wall outside the Oval Office - I thought this was an interesting painting - worth a look . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/15/president-trump-new-painting-white-house-republican

Robert

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »

Transgender’ Could Be Defined Out of Existence Under Trump Administration

Read about this in a Dutch newspaper and there the following info was given (I tried to translate it correctly into English):

The department does, however, refer to a statement made by a conservative judge in 2016 in Texas. This judge ruled that there is no legislation prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity.

To me that sounds like reversed discrimination or am I understanding this wrong?

Had a look at the New York Times, see link below for article;

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

To avoid misunderstandings: I am not a transgender or familiar to this issue but do not like people being discriminated.

rdrokit

• Rokits Pictures
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »

Transgender’ Could Be Defined Out of Existence Under Trump Administration

Read about this in a Dutch newspaper and there the following info was given (I tried to translate it correctly into English):

The department does, however, refer to a statement made by a conservative judge in 2016 in Texas. This judge ruled that there is no legislation prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity.

To me that sounds like reversed discrimination or am I understanding this wrong?

Had a look at the New York Times, see link below for article;

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

To avoid misunderstandings: I am not a transgender or familiar to this issue but do not like people being discriminated.
I might be interpreting it wrong but I think the government want a gender to be either male or female when it comes to defining a person for government regulations.

Alfie

• Forum Lover
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »

Trump-a-matics ... or Trump-flation ...  :D

In March, Trump said the Saudi military deals would produce 40,000 jobs.
Ten days ago, he made it 450,000 jobs. [13 October 2018]
A few days later, he said it was 500,000 jobs. [17 October 2018]
Then he upgraded that to 600,000 jobs. [19 October 2018]
The next day he increased it to a million jobs. [20 October 2018]

Sources below.

20 March 2018 "We’re talking about over 40,000 jobs in the United States."

13 October 2018 "... order for the military. It’s $110 billion. I believe it’s the largest order ever made. It’s 450,000 jobs."

17 October 2018 "Who are we hurting? It will be 500,000 jobs, 110 billion dollars." [5m30s into the video]

19 October 2018 "We have $450 billion worth of things ordered from a very rich country — Saudi Arabia.  Six-hundred thousand jobs; maybe more than that.  And it would be very hurtful to this country if we said, “Oh, we’re not going to sell it to you.”"

20 October 2018 "So now if you’re talking about — that was $110 billion — you know, you’re talking about over a million jobs.  You know, I’d rather keep the million jobs, and I’d rather find another solution."
Nil carborundum illegentium est
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9