Korat-Farang.com

The President Trump thread . . .

Roger · 220 · 9017

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Just came on to post this Alfie and see you've covered it - but for interest - a discussion on CNN about the same issue . . . .

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/hes-either-lying-magic-cnn-panel-catches-trump-red-handed-making-job-numbers-saudi-arms-deal/
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
John Oliver's take on President Trump's immigration policy. Worth sticking with and particularly emotional in the last 5 minutes or so. JO 'effs' a lot, sometimes it IS funny. Sometimes it's just 'eff'.

At one point Trump claims that there is a ZERO chance that those on asylum applications will report for their hearings some time later - actually, 99.3% do  ???

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cruel-sloppy-needless-racist-john-103736838.html
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Certainly a 'raw' story or two in this article - and a very interesting interview to watch at the end of this link :-

''MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough said President Donald Trump is “freaked out” now that Democrats gained subpoena power over him after retaking the House of Representatives. The “Morning Joe” host said the president’s unhinged news conference Wednesday — and his firing of attorney general Jeff Sessions — was a response to the midterm election results.

“The bottom line is, he lost big time yesterday,” said co-host Mika Brzezinski. “He hates losing. On top of it, Democrats have gained the power to basically ask him every question they finally want the answer to” . . . . . “Donald Trump was freaked out yesterday,” Scarborough said. “Everybody could see how freaked out he was. It was embarrassing watching him fire Jeff Sessions.” Scarborough said the Sessions sacking, and his deeply conflicted temporary replacement, should be considered additional evidence in the special counsel probe Trump’s trying to stop
.''

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/puzzles-complete-morning-joe-says-sessions-filing-gives-mueller-everything-needs-nail-trump-obstruction/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
President Trump's tweet today .. .. .. .. ''There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!''

Just come back from Chok Chai to Korat and the driver, a retired Suranari Prof., made a point of blaming the ENVIRONMENTALISTS for the severity of such fires ??   :o  He had a point - apparently, for environmental reasons, in the care of forests, removal of the forest residue on the ground is not possible. Result - a tinderbox. And 'firebreaks' cannot be cut through the trees to make a barrier against the fire's progress, because it disturbs wildlife movements . . . . .

So after 10 years of drought in California, a lightning strike or a fag end and a 50 mph wind - result - horror.

I often argue with this Guy (and we can do so without falling out), but I thought these serious points. God help these poor Folks, be they Joe Bloggs or a 'Celebrity'   ;)

''Katy Perry has criticised Donald Trump’s response to the California wildfires as “absolutely heartless” after he said they were the result of poor forest management. The singer was outraged after the US president threatened to withdraw federal funding from the US Forest Service. The blaze, which is tearing through southern California, has forced celebrities including Kim Kardashian West, Will Smith, Caitlyn Jenner and Denise Richards to leave their homes, while Lady Gaga and Guillermo Del Toro have said they fear their properties would go up in flames.''

I'd just mention that maybe such people are avid environmentalists. Me too.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/09/malibu-wildfire-caitlyn-jenner-lady-gaga-celebrities-evacuated

So for Katy Perry, no doubt well intentioned, how about this quote ? ''The man who leans his shoulder on an infirm door, gets an unjustified reputation - something is to be attributed to the state of the door'' - I can't find who said that, (Anton - who was that ? ), but it seems appropriate to Trump's intervention this time - the joy and risks of a 'treeshake' mentality.

President Trump is a loose cannon in many ways but IMHO, sometimes, he may have a point  >:(

R.I.P. poor Souls.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:25:51 AM by Roger »

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
'' ‘Dead’: California GOP totally collapses — and even its former vice chairperson says the party ‘isn’t salvageable’ ''

The GOP bemoaning the Trump effect :-

''Republican principles used to be about helping other people. We believed in lifting people up out of poverty by giving them robust and free economic opportunities and by providing a world-class education. We stood for giving people the freedom to run their own lives and businesses without undue government interference.

We welcomed people from all over the world who sought to live the American Dream and contribute to the economy and society. They could be secure in knowing that they would not be persecuted for who they are and that they could build strong families and vibrant neighborhoods.

Unfortunately, tragically, that is not the Republican Party promoted by President Donald Trump and his brand of national politics today. We have lost our way, and it’s killing any opportunity for political balance and thoughtful debate in California, elements that good public policy relies on
.''

This passage is inside a 'read the whole column here' link . . .

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/california-gop-totally-collapses-even-former-vice-chairperson-says-party-isnt-salvageable/

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Make your toilet great again
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
That's great Jivvy.
Right now, I'd like to buy similar, with the head of Mrs May on it !

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
This one is for Calm Waters - I'm guessing CW is from the USA.

John Oliver again on the growing number of authoritarian regimes around the world.

He starts briefly with 'A Star is Born' but swiftly moves onto regimes - plenty of admiring comments on President Trump included  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/LastWeekTonight

I love this Guy - what do you think ?

Online jungle

• KFers in Korat

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
John Oliver is brilliant: sometimes his comedic 'asides' are in bad taste (or just not funny) but when he is being serious he makes his points very well. I think he is particularly strong when he uses the interviews from other channels and stations that support the discussion thread. We could do with him coming back to the UK for a few weeks to do some dissecting of the current debacle...

Online dam12641

Coolkorat, agree with "John Oliver is brilliant: sometimes his comedic 'asides' are in bad taste (or just not funny) but when he is being serious he makes his points very well. I think he is particularly strong when he uses the interviews from other channels and stations that support the discussion thread. We could do with him coming back to the UK for a few weeks to do some dissecting of the current debacle..." in the main.

Just a slight point of order: "sometimes his comedic 'asides' are in bad taste (or just not funny)".
If they're funny, they're funny. All considerations of bad taste are then therefore irrelevant.

John Oliver is funny, witty, intelligent and entertaining. But - he's a Leftie and cannot resist allowing his personal politics to influence his comedic delivery.
Some say 'There are no Right wing comediens.'
Not so, it's just that right-wingers are adept at separating their personal views from their occupation.

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
Can you name a funny right wing british comedian?
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
CK I agree the 'asides' are sometimes odd - but  a 'sledgehammer' point usually follows - (same as the mosquito injecting the pain killer before it takes blood).

Dam and Teess - I don't notice the right or left wing bit - usually I just laugh. Maybe I don't notice a bias in John Oliver because I'm a bit left myself  ;)

Online jungle

• KFers in Korat
Some say 'There are no Right wing comedians.'
Not so, it's just that right-wingers are adept at separating their personal views from their occupation

This all got me wondering if for satire to work it must be viewed from a perspective.?

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Some interesting comments about Pres. Trump's predicament.
Turmoil on both sides of the Atlantic  ;)

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-concerned-first-time-life-watergate-journalist-impeachment-1251304?piano_t=1

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Good grief - Michael Cohen, Pres. Trump's confidante and fixer, is off to jail for 3 years. Cohen has this accolade for his erstwhile Boss . . .

''Today is one of the most meaningful days of my life. The irony is that today I get my freedom back'' Cohen told the court.''Blind loyalty to this man [Trump] led me to choose a path of darkness over light.''

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/cohen-reveals-darkness-working-trump-startling-court-speech-living-mental-prison/

And, ''The prosecutors from the Southern District of New York have already said that Trump directed Cohen to carry out criminal violations of campaign finance law — and the case directly against the president appears to only be getting stronger.''

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/5-details-michael-cohens-sentencing-absolutely-devastating-trump/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Scroll down to Michael Colbert on Trump  ;)
I enjoyed Trevor Noah too.
Ruthless stuff ! Well deserved or not ?

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/dec/20/late-night-hosts-trevor-noah-trump-samantha-bee

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
James Mattis, Trump's Defense Secretary has submitted a resignation letter - ''Mr Mattis said he could no longer support the president’s decisions.''

''In particular, Mr Mattis is said to disagree with Mr Trump’s decision, announced the previous day, to withdraw troops from Syria – a decision he was reportedly not consulted on. It was reported on Thursday evening that Mr Trump was also considering withdrawing all US troops - currently 14,000 - from Afghanistan.''

''“One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships,” he wrote. “We cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those strong allies.”''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/20/james-mattis-step-us-defense-secretary/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
''The departure of defense secretary Jim Mattis from the Trump administration, announced late Thursday, prompted concern about its timing, falling as it did one day after Donald Trump announced a surprise withdrawal from Syria and as reports circulated that the president was considering a similar withdrawal from Afghanistan.But anxieties were motivated by deeper concerns. For foreign policy analysts, government officials, allies abroad and observers at home, Mattis was the last of a four-person group of Trump administration heavyweights once seen as providing a corrective to the president’s more mercurial tendencies.

By this view, Mattis and his cohorts – national security adviser HR McMaster, chief of staff John Kelly and secretary of state Rex Tillerson – provided vital ballast for a ship of state prone to lurching in unpredictable ways
. . .''

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/20/jim-mattis-resign-trump-administration