Korat-Farang.com

Thailand Implements Mandatory Fingerprint ID to Register SIMs Cards

Alfie · 11 · 353

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Slightly odd, this, but it looks like it's mandatory for phone companies but not for users. I think.  ??? Read the full article to see if it makes sense for you.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1189929

Tuesday, 31 January 2017

All mobile operators will have to introduce the online fingerprint ID system by March, but mobile users can choose whether or not to put their fingerprints in the system for their own security.

Mr Takorn urged all mobile users to participate in the fingerprint system to ensure greater security in mobile banking and prevent the risk of fraud, which is likely to increase in a cashless society.

He insisted that the fingerprint system will complement the existing registration system. The regulator will not force all mobile users to register with the new system.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I think you are right Alfie. By March the phone Companies have to be able to offer fingerprint ID but it only applies to new cards and the user does not have to take up the offer. If one does banking transactions on a mobile phone, I suppose that's extra security ?
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard

They can have one finger from me !!!!
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Now, mobile companies are required to upgrade their systems in order to become fingerprint-ready. No obligations for users now. But once that achieved, it's not difficult to guess what the next step will be.

Wikipedia says there are currently 3 Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO) in Thailand. Are they True, AIS and DTAC? Is that correct? Sorry for ignorance.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Now, mobile companies are required to upgrade their systems in order to become fingerprint-ready. No obligations for users now. But once that achieved, it's not difficult to guess what the next step will be.

Wikipedia says there are currently 3 Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO) in Thailand. Are they True, AIS and DTAC? Is that correct? Sorry for ignorance.

Alltthough the 3 major mobile operators have 97% of the market there are some other small companies, see http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/mobile-operators-thailand/.

What are all the Mobile Operators in Thailand?

Updated December 6, 2016
    Category General   

thailand market share
Credit: yozzo.com

There are 3 main Mobile Network Operators in Thailand, which hold about 97% market share.  In addition to the large 3, there are several smaller MVNO networks.  There are more coming, and some going, but these are companies where you can actually buy a SIM card.

Here is a list as of date of publication:

AIS  or Advanced Info Service
            Brands: 12Call, YOU!, mPay
            Parent : Intouch Holdings, Temasek

DTAC

True Move

MyCAT – From CAT

TOT 3G – From TOT

Samart I-Mobile ( Under TOT )

I-Kool ( Under TOT )

Penguin by The White Space Co ( under CAT )

Mojo 3G

168 Communication – Dead

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Alltthough the 3 major mobile operators have 97% of the market there are some other small companies, see http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/mobile-operators-thailand/

Thank you Robert.

There are 3 main Mobile Network Operators in Thailand, which hold about 97% market share

If I understand well: if the wireless network infrastructure is owned and controlled by TOT and CAT, technically speaking those 3 are not MNO but MVNO?
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
If I understand well: if the wireless network infrastructure is owned and controlled by TOT and CAT, technically speaking those 3 are not MNO but MVNO?

An MVNO is an entity that does not have its own network but leases airtime on the network of a telecom operator to provide service.

An MVNO enters a business agreement with a mobile network operator to obtain bulk access to network services at wholesale rates, then sets retail prices independently.
source

In Thailand, MVNOs use the network of ToT or CAT Telecom.

As of last week, TOT only has two MVNOs using their network: i-Kool (Loxley) and Buzzme. The others use CAT Telecom's network. A year ago these were: i-mobile Plus Co of Samart I-Mobile, Data CDMA Communication Co, 168 Communication, and The WhiteSpace Co. [source as above]

Some more interesting reading on MVNOs in Thailand here: http://www.yozzo.com/news-and-information/mvno-mobile-operator-s/another-tot-mvno-hangs-up

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Starting June 1, pre-paid mobile phone users in Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and two districts of Songkhla will have their fingerprints scanned if they buy new SIM cards in addition to showing their ID cards.

National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission secretary-general Takorn Tanthasit said the new measure was intended to prevent the use of SIM cards to activate cellphones attached to bombs, triggering explosions and to enable security officials to trace back to their owners.

30 finger-scanning devices will be made available for the start, with five to be used by mobile phone service providers and the rest sent to the Deep South and Na Thavee and Thepa districts of Songkhla.

Current pre-paid mobile phone users need not have to have their fingerprints scanned because they have already produced their ID cards when buying SIM cards.

But if want to have their fingerprints scanned, they can do so, said Takorn.

More to read here: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fingerprints-scanning-must-new-sin-cards-buyers-deep-south-june-1

Not many finger-scanning devices will be made available at the start of this. I suppose they don't think many people will do it.

Online dam12641

I think that's perfectly reasonable. Particularly restricting it to the high risk areas.
Though I am generally vehemently opposed to "big government" it's always amazed me that in the West/1st World, people can buy mobile phones, unregistered, with no ID at all.

Who would want such a phone? Only a criminal. So why allow it?
Our Thai junta gets a lot of stick (generally deserved!) but in this case, I would say "Well done.".

Offline TheOddViking

• RIP. Gone but never forgotten
Starting June 1, pre-paid mobile phone users in Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and two districts of Songkhla will have their fingerprints scanned if they buy new SIM cards in addition to showing their ID cards.

This is exactly as it is south of the border in Malaysia. Fingerprint (only from one finger) and ID-card/passport has been mandatory for at least 10 years. I don't know if this applies to all Malaysia, I only lived just south of the border.

I don't mind it, but just wonder if they have ever caught someone on basis of this registration

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I think that's perfectly reasonable. Particularly restricting it to the high risk areas.
Though I am generally vehemently opposed to "big government" it's always amazed me that in the West/1st World, people can buy mobile phones, unregistered, with no ID at all.

Who would want such a phone? Only a criminal. So why allow it?
Our Thai junta gets a lot of stick (generally deserved!) but in this case, I would say "Well done.".

Phones don't have to be registered in Thailand and you don't have to provide any ID to get one. I've bought two new ones in the last year and no ID was required. Just the cash. It's just you now need to provide ID for your SIM card to work. Started last year I think.