Korat-Farang.com

Korat electricity cables going underground

Alfie · 19 · 401

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
This will be a big job, and no doubt lead to some traffic issues during the working period.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-oks-fund-bring-electrical-cables-underground-4-cities

The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to set aside 11,668 million baht fund for the Provincial Electricity Authority to bring all the overhead electrical cables in Nakhon Ratchasima underground and to boost the efficiency of power transmission (also in Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Pattaya).

Vice Minister of PM’s Office Mr Kobsak Phutrakul said that the pilot project to bring overhead electrical cables underground in the four key cities amounted to a major overhaul of power transmission system. It will also beautify the urban landscape of the cities, he added.

The bulk of the fund, 8,750 million baht, will be in the form of domestic loans and the rest, about 2,920 million baht, will come from the PEA’s coffers.

Once the work in the four cities is accomplished, the PEA will carry on with the same work in the other eight major cities.

February 14, 2017
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
This will be a big job, and no doubt lead to some traffic issues during the working period

Let's hope Korat Municipality will take the chance of these works, if they ever start, for other much needed improvements too. Among other things, this will remove at least one obstacle to adding more pedestrian bridges where needed.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
I find this hard to believe considering they are spending millions at the moment erecting incredibly high posts and new cables all around the area of Ban Kho night market and along Suranarai Road past the Dusit Hotel......lol
HL  ;D

Online KiwiCanadian

What is going to happen with all the telephone, cable & Internet wires that hang from the Power poles????
How are they going to flood proof the underground wires???
Food for thought, lol
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
They were going to do exactly the same in Pattaya when I lived there some 12 years ago........TO DATE NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!!
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Offline Kev

• KFers in Korat
They were going to do exactly the same in Pattaya when I lived there some 12 years ago........TO DATE NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!!

Yes that has myself baffled as well, they will need BIG pipes to move those well organised (sic) overhead cables underground.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
How are they going to flood proof the underground wires???

They will need to use a different kind of cable, insulated cable, which is much more expensive.

Something like this:

Or these (depending on th voltage):

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I see that in: "NAKHON RATCHASIMA - The Provincial Electricity Authority is taking the first steps to move all overhead electrical wires and cables underground in the city area....."
Great idea in theory, but I see some rocky times ahead with traffic disruption and flooding.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1219801/pea-starts-putting-power-lines-in-korat-underground

All overhead power lines and cables [to] be put underground over five years, from 2017 to 2021.

The PEA would survey and plan the underground system, and call for tenders for the work this year. Installation of local power stations, laying of power lines and cables underground, and other work to support the communications system, would start in 2017. All work would be completed in 2021.

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
It's all rubbish and I don't believe a word.....they are still spending millions putting in huge concrete pylons raising the cables into the clouds not burying them.
There were traffic hold ups along miratrap road this morning because of all the electric board lorries putting up pylons opposite suranarai road entrance.
But time will tell.
HL  ;D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
It's all rubbish and I don't believe a word.....they are still spending millions putting in huge concrete pylons raising the cables into the clouds not burying them.

You forgot to factor in the "Thai way", HL.

The more they put up, the more they will have to take down later, thereby keeping local workers in work (and the more money that will have to come from the government to pay for it).  ;D

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Just MO, but I think putting all the cables underground in a populous country of this acreage is an almost impossible task.
When I sometimes drive through BKK on the motorways and look around at the millions of apartments and offices and shopping centres, all with aircon no doubt, I wonder how the blazes they keep it all going !!! The Electric supply seems very good to me.
In a similar climate years ago, I had a large generator in the garden of the house, to cope with 5-10 power cuts every day. And three massive gens at the factory, where there was no mains power.
So the Thai way, is in this respect, is OK. IMO.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online KiwiCanadian

The thing that scares me the most is what protection do they have against flooding, how water tight are the connections going to be?
One would hope that the junction boxes would be above ground, if not above High water mark for the 100 year flood, LOL
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The thing that scares me the most is what protection do they have against flooding, how water tight are the connections going to be?
One would hope that the junction boxes would be above ground, if not above High water mark for the 100 year flood, LOL

Underground joints are made watertight. However, over time, cable insulation can deteriorate and the obvious disadvantage about buried cables is that it's more difficult to find the problem and it's more work to dig up the cables and repair them. The main reason a lot of cables are overground is the costs involved - in laying them and repair/maintenance.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to set aside 11,668 million baht fund for the Provincial Electricity Authority to bring all the overhead electrical cables in Nakhon Ratchasima underground and to boost the efficiency of power transmission (also in Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Pattaya)

4 months passed by. Did anybody see any sign of this starting anywhere in Korat?

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Very tall concrete posts and new cables going up in many places.....lol....as I reported in post no. 2
HL  ;D

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Very tall concrete posts and new cables going up in many places.....lol....as I reported in post no. 2

It seems that the only thing going underground is the project of bringing electrical cables underground  ::)

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
They probably still haven't got past the surveying and tender stage, though I would have thought the PEA would have done the work themselves, but it looks like that won't be the case.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Waiting for this project to take off, someone in Oraphim อรพิมพ์ subdistrict, Khon Buri, Nakhon Ratchasima, thought about painting some poles in pink. You should be able to see them when you drive from Chok Chai to Khon Buri.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNf7ohvniAE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNf7ohvniAE</a>