Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Passengers in the back of pick-up trucks is strictly prohibited  (Read 1002 times)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Passengers in the back of pick-up trucks is strictly prohibited
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »

Apparently, we are to be given more time to comply with these changes.
But I think no more than 6 will be allowed in the load bay and NO sitting on the sides or the tailgate. (Caught that on the TV). E. and O. E.
What a way to run a brewery !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

John Doe

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »

Prawit defends PM over pickup passengers ban
Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan on Friday urged the public not to criticise Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha for banning passengers from riding in the open cargo bed of pickup trucks.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311622#.WOh4XEsXpbk.facebook

John Doe

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

Now what about songthaews. All those people jammed in without seat belts. Technically a songthaew is a pickup truck.

Everything takes time.
Rome was not build in 1 day.
When I first came to Korat, there were no taxis.
Only tuk-tuk's and Songtaews.
Now, the tuk-tuk's has almost everywhere been replaced by taxis.

The same will happen with the songtaews.
As soon as the microbuses will be introduced in Korat, offering travel at the same prices as songtaews, but with decent seats and an airco, the songtaews will start to disappear.

You can slow down progress, but you can not stop it.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »

I wish it was so, I still see lots of tuk-tuks all around though.

As soon as the microbuses will be introduced in Korat, offering travel at the same prices as songtaews, but with decent seats and an airco, the songtaews will start to disappear.

If by microbusses you mean the vans, "rot too" รถตู้ as they call them (not to be confused with "rot tour" รถทัวร์ = coach busses) they are here since a long time already. No indication to me that they are taking over on songtaews in Korat, not in the city at least.

One thing I think have decreased in number since I live here, maybe slowly disappearing, are the three-wheel rickshaws.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »

A clear description in THAI about the new rules.
The "x" means "NO PASSENGERS".

So if I understand well, this "Article 44" will in fact declass those vehicles that were originally approved for transporting up to 5 people, even if sold without seat belts behind, into vehicles approved for transporting up to 2 people - unless the owner will equip them with seat belts also behind. No official instructions were released until now on how to do that in a legal, approved way. Is that correct?

Does anybody know when was this "Article 44" announced to the public the first time?

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »

So if I understand well, this "Article 44" will in fact declass those vehicles that were originally approved for transporting up to 5 people, even if sold without seat belts behind, into vehicles approved for transporting up to 2 people - unless the owner will equip them with seat belts also behind. No official instructions were released until now on how to do that in a legal, approved way. Is that correct?

Does anybody know when was this "Article 44" announced to the public the first time?

As I understand it "Article 44" is a catchall for the Government to enforce the rule of law.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »

As I understand it "Article 44" is a catchall for the Government to enforce the rule of law.
Correct. until a new constitution is voted in Article 44 gives the Prime Minister absolute power to give any order deemed necessary to "strengthen public unity and harmony" or to prevent any act that undermines public peace.

Pompui

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »

And will be his downfall if he keeps using it in the way he has been, so say some Thai's I know.

So telling Somchai that he can no longer take his extended family to the Mall or T21 once a month is really going to create harmony. It might strengthen public unity though, public unity of the dislike of the current government.
Live like you are dying

Pompui

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 11:29:04 PM »

Now what about songthaews. All those people jammed in without seat belts. Technically a songthaew is a pickup truck.

Everything takes time.
Rome was not build in 1 day.
When I first came to Korat, there were no taxis.
Only tuk-tuk's and Songtaews.

The same will happen with the songtaews.

You can slow down progress, but you can not stop it.

In general, I agree. I just hope that the prices for microbuses will be the same as songthaews, otherwise it will just be another stake in the divide between haves and have nots. I must admit, I won't miss the songthaews. If anyone needs more driver training then it's the majority of these guys.
Live like you are dying

John Doe

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »

If by microbusses you mean the vans, "rot too" รถตู้ as they call them (not to be confused with "rot tour" รถทัวร์ = coach busses) they are here since a long time already. No indication to me that they are taking over on songtaews in Korat, not in the city at least.

With "microbuses" I mean the microbuses that have been purchased from China by the government.
They will first be used in Bangkok.
A second batch will be send to the big cities out of Bangkok.
They will also replace the minivans in local traffic.

John Doe

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 11:37:41 PM »

And will be his downfall if he keeps using it in the way he has been, so say some Thai's I know.

So telling Somchai that he can no longer take his extended family to the Mall or T21 once a month is really going to create harmony. It might strengthen public unity though, public unity of the dislike of the current government.

The new Constitution (is already signed by his majesty the King) will keep giving Gen Chan-o Cha Cha "Total" powers and the right to put his VETO if something goes wrong.

Dream on ......

John Doe

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »

Can you ask Somchai if the people in the back of his pickup are insured?

nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 05:09:05 AM »

With "microbuses" I mean the microbuses that have been purchased from China by the government.
They will first be used in Bangkok.
A second batch will be send to the big cities out of Bangkok.
They will also replace the minivans in local traffic.
I hope the 2nd batch comprises of more vehicles than the 51 in the 1st batch
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Pompui

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »

I doubt they are. His pick up isn't insured and his driving licence expired in 1998.
Live like you are dying

John Doe

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »

I doubt they are. His pick up isn't insured and his driving licence expired in 1998.

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »

Must be these ones then. I never saw one until now. I would have thought smaller from the name. It seems they charge 30 THB a run in Bangkok (source).

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »

Another one bites the dust.  :(

15 Apr 2017

Girl riding in pickup bed killed

A 14-year-old girl was killed and a friend hurt when the pickup truck they were travelling in rear-ended another pickup before hitting a concrete barrier in Wang Thong district on Saturday afternoon.

Police said the driver of the first truck, with the two girls sitting in the bed and a motorcycle next to them, lost control while travelling on the slippery road, causing the vehicle to rear-end another pickup before ramming into a concrete barrier.

The force of the crash killed one of the girls and hurt another. The dead victim, identified as Panan Paladyot, 14, sustained head injuries when her head struck the rail of the truck. The injured victim, Warissara Plueng-apai, also 14, was rushed to a hospital.

Earlier this month, the government banned people from riding in the beds of pickup trucks in a bid to reduce road accidents during the Songkran festival.

However, a public outcry ensued and authorities said they would delay enforcementof the rule until after Songkran.

Bangkok Post
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »

Correct. until a new constitution is voted in Article 44 gives the Prime Minister absolute power to give any order deemed necessary to "strengthen public unity and harmony" or to prevent any act that undermines public peace.

I wish he used of that power to go down hard on all of those filthy exhaust pipes and on all of those noisy retouched engines. If they don't do it now, when will they?

geNe

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »

Another new income coming their way... ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3