Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Local life  (Read 1027 times)

ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
Re: Local life
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 09:21:20 PM »

Another trip to Ban Pang in Lamphun region, (800km from Chan).

5 days with 4 long walks up into the lower mountains . . but never seeing any wildlife at all, except Peacocks that is.

For you Guys who live in the 'sticks' - a plus point. Sitting at one of the 'Shops' to sup a beer, the Locals are usually friendly. At Ban Pang we would get invited to new house parties and weddings etc - it's very different from where we live now. Chantaburi is friendly but everyone has their own life and circles. I miss that about living in the 'sticks'. Even when we lived at Korat resort, we were invited to events at adjoining 'Saudio' frequently - all starting with a quiet beer.

As we set off on return, we dropped in at THE local shop to see 'Lungchan' who's about 86 - he had been asleep the previous night at 7pm. I sat down next him and he's getting frail now. He put his arm around my back and there were tears in his eyes - my Missis said he might think he'll not be around next time we visit. 'Pa Pet' his wife then put the string around our wrists before we went. I know it sounds soppy - but IMO, the further away you get from a City, the 'nicer' the people are . . .

Winding up to the annual smog problems around Chiang Rai / Chiang Mai regions, the 'Lam Yai' farmers were trimming their trees and burning the green leaves and branches - big smoke as you look out over the valleys. It's a major problem up there - it's really dry in Jan/Feb and bushfires add to the pollution and the landscape blackens in places.

Nice to return to that peace and quiet for a short while  ;)

Roger , great report . I had to look up  Ban Pang in Lamphun region  :)

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Local life - Kanchanburi
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:24 PM »

I drove to Kan'buri yesterday from Chan  >:(
Have driven all over Thailand no problem and always refuse to drive in BKK. Route planned out. Pick up Big 9 Kanchanapisek and left for Nakhon Pathom. My total cock up. I can do twice as far - say Chiang Mai in 9 hours. I was dumped off the Motorway and sat for 60 mins in Port. Not moving at all. S*d that  ::)

Met my Pal David who was leaving his house to meet me in the Town. Nice apartment at the noisy end of the River Kwai Rd. Quiet. B900 Couple of beers and G'night and forget it.

Today - cooked brekkie - walk to the bridge - met a nice English Guy -   Mr Hallett and his wife. His Dad was in the WW2 as a PoW at KanC. I had a rail spike in my car, which I found loose about 10 km up the line when I first came to Th. 9 years ago at the invitation of this Pal David. A long hot walk then. Got a lift back on a motorbike . . . with a spike . . .

He and his wife were so happy. Mr said, ''I'll give it to the Kids''. It was in the car so I left it at their Hotel and I say, a very good home for it. Every spike cost a life apparently but I think whoever, meant a sleeper.

Then a quick foot massage and off to 'Hell Fire'. It's 5C hotter in KanC than Chan atm but the walk through the pass, trees bare of leaves and the Sun full on - was HOT. In limited time by then I did the 4km trip and got back to share the 'Centre' with lots of Japanese kids and their Tutors.

Called in to check David en route and he was already coming to meet me in town - my phone not charged ! It's a bit lively Kan C  8)

2 beers and that's it. Tomorrow should be good. On the advice of a charming Lassie at the Station, the regular train starts at 6.15 am for Nam Tok. I can fill up the 4 hour wait for the return trip with a walk to Sai Yok waterfalls and a late breakfast. Then come back for another foot massage.

(Also saw today, the Eastern and Oriental Express which comes once a week from Malaysia ?)

More importantly, off to see the Swatcats at Rayong on Saturday.
That's IF I can find Pattaya. I wish me a good journey . . . .  ::)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:57:01 PM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 09:05:56 PM »

I drove to Kan'buri yesterday from Chan  >:(
Have driven all over Thailand no problem and always refuse to drive in BKK. Route planned out. Pick up Big 9 Kanchanapisek and left for Nakhon Pathom. My total cock up. I can do twice as far - say Chiang Mai in 9 hours. I was dumped off the Motorway and sat for 60 mins in Port. Not moving at all. S*d that  ::)

Met my Pal David who was leaving his house to meet me in the Town. Nice apartment at the noisy end of the River Kwai Rd. Quiet. B900 Couple of beers and G'night and forget it.

Today - cooked brekkie - walk to the bridge - met a nice English Guy -   Mr Hallett and his wife. His Dad was in the WW2 as a PoW at KanC. I had a rail spike in my car, which I found loose about 10 km up the line when I first came to Th. 9 years ago at the invitation of this Pal David. A long hot walk then. Got a lift back on a motorbike . . . with a spike . . .

He and his wife were so happy. Mr said, ''I'll give it to the Kids''. It was in the car so I left it at their Hotel and I say, a very good home for it. Every spike cost a life apparently but I think whoever, meant a sleeper.

Then a quick foot massage and off to 'Hell Fire'. It's 5C hotter in KanC than Chan atm but the walk through the pass, trees bare of leaves and the Sun full on - was HOT. In limited time by then I did the 4km trip and got back to share the 'Centre' with lots of Japanese kids and their Tutors.

Called in to check David en route and he was already coming to meet me in town - my phone not charged ! It's a bit lively Kan C  8)

2 beers and that's it. Tomorrow should be good. On the advice of a charming Lassie at the Station, the regular train starts at 6.15 am for Nam Tok. I can fill up the 4 hour wait for the return trip with a walk to Sai Yok waterfalls and a late breakfast. Then come back for another foot massage.

(Also saw today, the Eastern and Oriental Express which comes once a week from Malaysia ?)

More importantly, off to see the Swatcats at Rayong on Saturday.
That's IF I can find Pattaya. I wish me a good journey . . . .  ::)

Roger

Great story and update  :)

Have safe rest of the journey and I'm looking forward to the next part ,  to find Pattaya just listen out for the call of the BG bird , hello sexy man hello sexy man hello sexy man . ;D

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »

KK - I'm going for the Footie  8)  Honest.
Kan C is quite lively almost a tiny Pattaya - but I'm ensconced alone now - posting on K-F  :-\  That's me M8 !

I have heard the call even at my great a*e . . . But footie is good.

Thanks and ATB.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 10:05:30 PM »

2nd attempt. Lost the first  >:(

Day 3 last day in KanC. I caught the 6.15 am to Nam Tok despite aggro from a few platform dogs. B100 falang price for a 2 hour journey. Leaving KanC some amazing sunrise views over those lovely mountains. Through the river valley quite fast but lotsa stops and unexciting countryside with cassava everywhere but slowing up with the climb along the riverside to Nam Tok. Then so beautiful going past Tham Krasae on aged cuttings and bridges. One thing's for sure - without the ambitions of Japan, this railway would never have been attempted.

In the 'Jeath' museum by the bridge, I found a script - 1940 - 3 Japanese Guys arrived in KanC and married Thai Ladies starting clothing businesses in the market. The 3 then spent years surveying the route via the Kwae so when the Japs moved in, the plan was ready. All a cover - one of the 3 was the Chief Engineer for the Death Railway.

On arrival, the walk to the waterfall took 5 mins which left me lotsa time until the 12.55 pm return. So I caught a bus and was back in my doss at 11 - lovely - another foot massage and a good walk around a fiercely hot KanC.

The 'Jeath' museum is confusing. A German Gent looking at a collection of aged motorbikes with 'Japan' recently painted on them, said they were actually old but post WW2 models. Quite what a 'Morris Oxford' has to do with it God knows, late 50's ?  Everything exhibited seemed to be rusting and dusting eversince. A glass case had a few skeletons on the top and remains of 120 victims inside  ???  Contrast this with the immaculate Hellfire Pass centre financed by the Australians and the equally immaculate graveyards in KanC looked after by the Commonwealth Graves Commission.

Apparently the lovely Nicole Kidman and all stayed at the 'Felix Resort' in KanC when they were filming the 'Railwayman'. My friend went along as they needed 'extras' and he chatted to Nicole for a while and thought she was very 'grounded' and not pretentious at all. M8 was rejected as he had too much muscle but another Guy I met was IN - he's now I'd say not more than 60 KG and at least 6 foot - he looked the part.

KanC is IMO a fantastic area of much interest. And beautiful mountains. Many many Falang here. That's it. Bedtime - getting lost tomorra  ;)

And watching the Swatcats WIN  :D

info

Re: Local life - Kanchanaburi
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 11:56:08 PM »

Thanks for sharing that with us roger - well done that man

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qz2u4j4yBQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qz2u4j4yBQ</a>

ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 06:31:51 AM »

2nd attempt. Lost the first  >:(

Day 3 last day in KanC. I caught the 6.15 am to Nam Tok despite aggro from a few platform dogs. B100 falang price for a 2 hour journey. Leaving KanC some amazing sunrise views over those lovely mountains. Through the river valley quite fast but lotsa stops and unexciting countryside with cassava everywhere but slowing up with the climb along the riverside to Nam Tok. Then so beautiful going past Tham Krasae on aged cuttings and bridges. One thing's for sure - without the ambitions of Japan, this railway would never have been attempted.

In the 'Jeath' museum by the bridge, I found a script - 1940 - 3 Japanese Guys arrived in KanC and married Thai Ladies starting clothing businesses in the market. The 3 then spent years surveying the route via the Kwae so when the Japs moved in, the plan was ready. All a cover - one of the 3 was the Chief Engineer for the Death Railway.

On arrival, the walk to the waterfall took 5 mins which left me lotsa time until the 12.55 pm return. So I caught a bus and was back in my doss at 11 - lovely - another foot massage and a good walk around a fiercely hot KanC.

The 'Jeath' museum is confusing. A German Gent looking at a collection of aged motorbikes with 'Japan' recently painted on them, said they were actually old but post WW2 models. Quite what a 'Morris Oxford' has to do with it God knows, late 50's ?  Everything exhibited seemed to be rusting and dusting eversince. A glass case had a few skeletons on the top and remains of 120 victims inside  ???  Contrast this with the immaculate Hellfire Pass centre financed by the Australians and the equally immaculate graveyards in KanC looked after by the Commonwealth Graves Commission.

Apparently the lovely Nicole Kidman and all stayed at the 'Felix Resort' in KanC when they were filming the 'Railwayman'. My friend went along as they needed 'extras' and he chatted to Nicole for a while and thought she was very 'grounded' and not pretentious at all. M8 was rejected as he had too much muscle but another Guy I met was IN - he's now I'd say not more than 60 KG and at least 6 foot - he looked the part.

KanC is IMO a fantastic area of much interest. And beautiful mountains. Many many Falang here. That's it. Bedtime - getting lost tomorra  ;)

And watching the Swatcats WIN  :D

Great update , Ive never been to Kanchanburi but its now on my to visit list . :)

Ken

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 06:55:10 AM »

Thanks Thaiga and KK. Off to Rayong now.

Just reflecting that these little mini breaks are fun - I would have enjoyed another few days away but I'm back on parade Sunday  ;)

Come on you Swatcats  :)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 12:26:37 PM »

Catching up a bit and Thaiga, thanks for posting that Tube of the railway at Namtok - dramatic views. As earlier, ''One thing's for sure - without the ambitions of Japan, this railway would never have been attempted.''

Travelling back past BKK, saved 3 hours on my outbound cock up ! The signs to Kanchanapisek Rd and Suvarnbhumi helped  ;)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 12:56:54 PM »

Interesting ride to Korat yesterday  ::)

The first ascent section, travelling North by the new tunnels - one or two bits to complete now. The tunnels, the 'wildlife link' - I think it was Caller who wondered how high the fences over the tunnel are, in view of the rumoured tigers in the area. NOT HIGH ENOUGH IMO. The massive cost of this endeavour may be wasted - the noise from the road and the open tunnel break is surely likely to deter wildlife . . .  :(

Coming up the helter skelter to Wang nam kiaw, there was a flatbed artic upsidedown with the cab crushed to trailer bed level - on the unmade carriageway the otherside. God knows how it got there and God help the driver. Shocking.

The orderly overtaking up and downhill on the 2 way sections has been disrupted by a series of cones - IMO the cones will cause more accidents than the struggle-by overtaking that goes on. But, you can still thread through the cones and up the other side  :-X

Bung ta lua this morning - I was amazed to see many hundreds of people cycling, running and walking before 6 am ! By 9 am - virtually deserted. I used to bike ride there starting 10.30 and had the place to myself. A brilliant facility and Korat is lucky to have such.

Nice weekend . . . .

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 08:46:13 AM »

On Sunday morning, many people at Bung ta lua at 5 am. Stout effort !

The Swatcats had been disappointing - their only real shot, a penalty - cleverly taken by Assumpcao who made a classy stutter to check where the goalie was going - then he chipped it straight to him  :(  The crowd didn't look like the 14,000 reported, (I guessed 8 and Russ 11K) but I guess I must be wrong - the Club don't have much reason to overstate the crowd.

Cafe Pittini still not serving wine after 6 pm on Sunday night - until a polite protest  ;)

Travelling south of Sa Kiaew, I stopped at Khao Chakan to do the short climb through the mountain to a viewpoint :-

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9J.0.lZFcGfQAkblLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTEyM2RzaGc3BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjczNzdfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=khao+chakan&fr=yfp-t-s

The view at the top is worth the effort, but beware - leave someone by the car or the monkeys do their normal damage. Due to the monkeys, the steps/ladder to the viewpoint are very dirty. 3 or 4 sections of wooden ladder at the top are steep and not for the faint hearted. At the top, to my horror, no wall or fence at the viewpoint - two steps and off the edge  :o

Apart from a Toyota pick up neatly parked on it's cab roof on the central reservation, no other excitement and good to be back in Chantaburi now  ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:48:07 AM by Roger »
Pages: 1 [2]