Korat-Farang.com

The pound is on the up

JASONTHAI · 72 · 3143

Offline JASONTHAI

Been keeping a close eye since TM said there would be a general election on the 8th June, the pound as I write this is 44.60, how high do you think it could go ?

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Jason. I use xe.com and it shows B44.65 £1. Thanks for the alert !
Earlier today I looked and £ had crept to B44.20
That's fantastic IF it holds.
How high ? I'd like to think over the next 6 months, £ can make B46 with the UK elections done and Brexit underway ! Maybe back to around B50 next year.
But if I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't be sitting here. I'd be rich !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
If the Bank of England raises interest rate, or hints that it will, the pound will rise further. The ECB kept theirs on hold today. That said, apparently the latest rise in the value of the pound has all been about the election on June 8 and the likelihood that the Tories will gain many more seats, so watch the polls between now and then as they could affect the pound - Tories strong, pound strong; Tories weak, pound weak. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:25:17 PM by Alfie »

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
A year ago the rate was 51 bt, tories have devalued the £ by 20%
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Brexit  devalued the pound!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:11:57 AM by jivvy »
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
All said and done, B46 was the rate 7 years ago and xe.com is showing B44.8 atm.
Its seems to be holding around that for now.
But last year it was touching B55 which was nice !

I don't think Brexit devalued the Euro - maybe the Euro did that.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Hmmm ....

In the good old days (2008) 1 pound was good for Thb 71 while I would get Thb 51 for my Euro. Difference now not so big between pound and if you take into consideration that the Euro moved closer to the dollar. IMHO Brexit indeed lowered the pound more.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi Robert. I'd heard about the good ole' days at B71 but I didn't realise that was just 2008. I missed that when I arrived in 2010 getting just B46 then I think.

Online dam12641

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
Hmmm ....

In the good old days (2008) 1 pound was good for Thb 71 while I would get Thb 51 for my Euro. Difference now not so big between pound and if you take into consideration that the Euro moved closer to the dollar. IMHO Brexit indeed lowered the pound more.
In the good old days through the 80's the pound was 34 baht hardly ever moved
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Offline JASONTHAI

Hmmm ....

And how much was beer and cigs a lot cheaper than now so you still have more buying power than now when it was 34 Baht

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Hmmm ....

And how much was beer and cigs a lot cheaper than now so you still have more buying power than now when it was 34 Baht

Our house was built in 2008 and labour/materials were cheaper then and I got a better rate (win/win IMHO). I do not drink alcolhol neither do I smoke so these items are not relevant to me.

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
"Currency traders are to blame."  Alfie is absolutely correct!

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

Yes but why are they allowed to speculate?
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
Hmmm ....

Small beers were still 40 baht upwards in Pattaya in the good old days,,,,,,but the choice was limited to Singha,Kloister & Amarit........Chang & Leo came along a lot later.The bar fines never exceeded a 100 baht. Short times 250baht,long time 400-500 baht.Diesel was 4 baht/litre!
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Yes but why are they allowed to speculate?

For once, we are in full agreement!  ;)

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Seems like the currency traders and agencies like Fitch, Moody's, Standard & Poor are in real control of our planet.....