Korat-Farang.com

Light Rail Network For Korat

Hector · 14 · 520

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I read in the BP this-morning that a Light Rail Network is being planned for Korat.  The article is worth a read as it gives a bit more detail than that.  Whilst construction won't begin for two or three years, when/if it does, you Korat residents are going to be subjected to some serious road and traffic snarl-ups, I suspect.  The planned completion date is some 11 or 12 years away - and probably subject to slippage.  At 15 Bn Baht that's half the cost of a submarine, I think - and rather better value IMO!

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
I read in the BP this-morning that a Light Rail Network is being planned for Korat.  The article is worth a read as it gives a bit more detail than that.  Whilst construction won't begin for two or three years, when/if it does, you Korat residents are going to be subjected to some serious road and traffic snarl-ups, I suspect.  The planned completion date is some 11 or 12 years away - and probably subject to slippage.  At 15 Bn Baht that's half the cost of a submarine, I think - and rather better value IMO!

Nothing new here they were talking about building a Light Railway system before Korat hosted the SEA Games in 2007.

Hopefully this time they will go beyond talking ::)
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage

Nothing new here they were talking about building a Light Railway system before Korat hosted the SEA Games in 2007.

Hopefully this time they will go beyond talking ::)
Thailand is the worlds leader for talking,forming commitees and doing Sweet FA
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Here's the link to the Bangkok Post story with the main points posted below.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/1273811/b15bn-light-rail-tipped-for-korat-city

B15bn light rail tipped for Korat city

A 15-billion-baht light rail network is likely to be developed to accommodate commuters in Nakhon Ratchasima's Muang district. Construction is due to start in 2020, with operations potentially commencing by 2023.

The Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) has hired Suranaree University of Technology to conduct a feasibility study to develop the mass-transit system.

The project consultant has proposed developing a light rail system with three routes spanning 54.4 kilometres. The OTP committee supervising the study recently approved a preliminary version of the report.

The three initial routes would be: a 15-km Orange Line operating as a loop in the inner area; a 23-km Green Line linking Khok Kruat to Cho Ho; and a 16.4km Purple Line linking Save One market to Cho Ho.

The light rail development project is divided into three phases.

The first phase involves design and construction of the Orange Line and the Green Line, with design beginning in 2019 and operations starting in 2023 at the earliest.

The second phase entails design and construction of the Purple Line for which construction is expected to start in 2023 and operations to begin in 2026.

The final phase covers design and construction of extended routes which are expected to be operational in 2029 at the earliest.

The government has been advised to invest in construction and development of infrastructure while operations and maintenance should be carried out in a public-private partnership format.

The project costs are estimated at 15 billion baht.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Wizard

Very optimistic! Three (3) years? If it's ever gets built maybe 10 years!Amazing Thailand.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Yes, they've been talking about it for years.

Here is a thread about it from 5 years ago. http://korat-farang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4714.0
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
A 15-billion-baht light rail network is likely to be developed to accommodate commuters in Nakhon Ratchasima's Muang district. Construction is due to start in 2020, with operations potentially commencing by 2023.

Now they talk about starting works in 2018 according to this report:

Four cities to start building light rails

Light rail projects in four key cities – Phuket, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Nakhon Ratchasima – worth a combined 161 billion baht are scheduled to start construction next year.

According to Transport Minister Arkhom Termpitayapaisith, the projects are part of the Transport Ministry's big-ticket transport infrastructure plan in 2018. A public-private partnership (PPP) programme will be applied for the investment in the four projects.

"The government is hopeful that construction of those four projects could commence next year in a bid to reduce traffic congestion in those cities," he said.

(...)

Meanwhile, Mr Chaiwat said the OTP has already completed a design for Nakhon Ratchasima's light rail project worth an estimated 15 billion baht. The agency plans to propose the design for the Transport Ministry's approval later this year.

Bangkok Post full article
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

Now they talk about starting works in 2018 according to this report:

Same concept reiterated here, where they also provide some additional details on similar projects for Phuket, Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen, but not for Korat:

Infrastructure plans prioritised

The government is racing to set the massive transport projects into motion before the tentative November general election, writes Chatrudee Theparat

(...)

The projects are mainly light rail tracks in key provinces like Phuket, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen.

(...)

"The government is hopeful that construction of the first four light rail projects in the provinces will be implemented in 2018 to reduce traffic congestion in those cities," Mr Arkhom said.

(...)

A design for Nakhon Ratchasima's light rail project worth an estimated 15 billion baht by the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning has also been completed.

Bangkok Post full article 02.01.2018

Online KiwiCanadian

I found some interesting discution here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=351003&page=2184 on Korat light rail, seems to have been posted in August 2017.
Most of this is in Thai but with the google translate I get the jist of the discussion. Some good maps too.
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I found some interesting discution here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=351003&page=2184 on Korat light rail, seems to have been posted in August 2017.
Most of this is in Thai but with the google translate I get the jist of the discussion. Some good maps too.

Thank you KC  :)

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum

Here are bigger versions of two relevant maps that are unreadable in that page because too small. Foreseen stops are shown and named more clearly in the second map than in the description given in that page. If you want the same maps even bigger, follow this link (first map) and this link (second map).

Stations P5 to P8 on purple line cover the critical stretch on Mitthapap, from Tesco Lotus to the Terminal 21 junction. I don't know how the final project will look but I hope they'll take this chance to add one pedestrian bridge at every station.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Here we are in the middle of 2019 and no light rail works started anywhere in Korat until now as far as I know. On the other hand, a segment of median strip of Mitthapap in the critical spot in front of The Mall disappeared to make way to an additional traffic lane. Precisely where the purple line project was supposed to run.

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Here we are in the middle of 2019 and no light rail works started anywhere in Korat until now as far as I know. On the other hand, a segment of median strip of Mitthapap in the critical spot in front of The Mall disappeared to make way to an additional traffic lane. Precisely where the purple line project was supposed to run.

Do you think this has been sidelined Anton? With all the major spending on infrastructure elsewhere, perhaps this has been quietly dropped. It might also reflect a more pessimistic view of the future of Korat.

Online KiwiCanadian

CK, your probably on the right TRACK (pun intended), I could see them waiting until the double track of the 2M state gauge and the High Speed rail (STD Gauge) stations have been built, then loop around the city connecting to those stations and the rest of the city.
But I have a funny feeling that this would hit the local baht buses and the intercity buses hard. So probably trying to appease every one and no one gets the benefit. TIT
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke