Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Invasive midges  (Read 267 times)

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Invasive midges
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »

Midges similar to the one in the photo became so invasive in my bathroom these days. Anybody facing same phenomenon? Where do they come from? How to fight back?

Village idiots unwelcome here

Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Re: Invasive midges
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »

If they are tiny black midges that make a high pitched buzzing sound a bit like a mosquito, they are probably what the Thais call 'maleng wee'.  They are harmless - ie they don't bite - but irritating as they go for anywhere on you with moisture, eyes, mouth, nose etc.  I've never experienced them in the bathroom, however, normally outside or in a room with the door to outside open.  The mosquito mesh on windows won't keep them out.  Spray, close doors and windows is about all you can do.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »

If they are tiny black midges that make a high pitched buzzing sound a bit like a mosquito, they are probably what the Thais call 'maleng wee'.  They are harmless - ie they don't bite - but irritating as they go for anywhere on you with moisture, eyes, mouth, nose etc.

No, they are grey and don't make any sound from what I can judge. They don't bite and they seem to be attracted more by the light and white surfaces rather than by my body. They may be moving around quickly, wide-awake and difficult to catch; but they may also be hanging still as if in a lethargic sleep. I guess there must be a colony somewhere in the waste pipes and they come up from the drains, because I don't see where else they could be entering from.

nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:17 AM »

Get some bleach and throw it everywhere ,especially in and around the drains.
Spend a little more time sprucing up your bathroom ,a little less trawling around the supermarkets and the problem has gone
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:37:01 PM »

Anton yes we get those tiny fluffy flies but only one or two hanging around the tiles in the shower area. (Good picture).

Maybe they're hiding in those little drain lnlets as Nookie says or under your nice wooden flooring in the shower. They don't bite !

Neither do the 'maeng wi' of that whining noise bite, but they can be a real nuisance.

Good luck.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 06:16:42 PM »

Not sure yet, but it would seem a hotbed was in the narrow space between the WC and its water tank, in the rear side next to the wall. Difficult to reach in depth, for the moment I sprayed vinegar on it, if not enough I will buy bleach (thank you Nookie).

under your nice wooden flooring in the shower

No, today I removed them and no midges there.
Pages: [1]