Korat-Farang.com

Premier League and other football chat 2017/8

Roger · 147 · 3704

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Only one week to 2017/8 kick off - I admit I've missed the EPL.

Transfer activity - Man City and Man Utd have spent freely and look to me as if they will be much stronger in 2017/8. Everton and West Ham have made shrewd signings whilst Arsenal have just one free signing and a Lacazette so far.  Spurs have lost Kyle Walker and NO arrivals yet ?

Candidates for relegation - many will be looking at newcomers Huddersfield and Brighton whilst among incumbents, I reckon Swansea City's time in the EPL may be up.

Strangest move is Robbie Keane at 37 moving to play for Calcutta in the Indian Premier League - his Manager a certain Teddy Sheringham.

Torquay play the mighty Tranmere Rovers today - the National League also boasts Leyton Orient and Wrexham this season. Tough down there.

Spare a thought for Neymar this season at PSG - he is being paid £515,000 a week or say £75,000 every day. Ridiculous.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Teessider

EFL started kast night with Sunderland conceding a goal 13 minutes into the new season. They rallied though and earned a 1-1 draw and looked a bit better than their pre-season form indicated.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Hi Teess. The National League usually kicks off a couple of weeks earlier than the EFL ? I guess it's the Euro's next summer so they need to get on with it !

A good start for your Boys - Derby will be up there this season. Some big big Clubs in the Championship as always and it's hard to get to the top. Important to start with a point for Sunderland after last season - sitting around the bottom of the table NOT what they need.

Or TUFC. A brilliant point against the biggest Club in the NL ! If you have a moment take a look at a very chunky Steve McNulty getting his first yellow for a rather late tackle before getting sent off for squaring up to young Keating. Good fun !

http://www.devonlive.com/torquay-united-show-discipline-and-determination-in-goalless-opener-against-tranmere-rovers/story-30470461-detail/story.html

Onwards and upwards then !

Onwards and upwards then !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Teessider

Sunderland have lost Jeremain Lens, Jordan Pickford, Vito Mannone, Seb Larsson, Jason Denayer, Javier Manquillo, Fabio Borini, Jermaine Defoe, Jan Kirchhoff, Adnan Januzaj, Steven Pienaar, Victor Anichebe, Joleon Lescott and Will Buckley from last seasons squad
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Bl**dy hell Teess. You must have 11 players left ? That's a big clearout.

IMO Man Utd have made 3 really outstanding signings so far and will be stronger than Chelsea now - my view reinforced by last night's showing. What a bizarre choice of penalty takers - Cahill, (though he scored), Courtois ?? and new Boy Morata who'd only been on a short while. I always believe you pick the compact Guys with the best feet for penalty taking - Cahill is a hoofer and as for Courtois. MMMmmm. Is Conte losing his grip there - the Diego Costa saga can't help. We'll see.

As for Arsenal, they looked sharp and their new free signing, a bruiser, did really well.

My guess for the season - it'll be Manchester with the rest trailing ! But I'm usually wrong.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I always believe you pick the compact Guys with the best feet for penalty taking - Cahill is a hoofer and as for Courtois. MMMmmm. Is Conte losing his grip there - the Diego Costa saga can't help. We'll see.

My guess for the season - it'll be Manchester with the rest trailing ! But I'm usually wrong.

I think you will be.

I was surprised about Courtois, but Conte said he's up there with the best in training. But that's not real life.

As for Morata. I thought he looked great. He won everything in the air and nearly nicked it at the end with a strong header. I think he'll be a great signing when he's fit. And luckily for Pedro, the red doesn't count for PL games, so he will be okay to play at the weekend, Rudiger is clearly a class act - pace, power, good feet and we still have Bakayoko on his way to full fitness. Then there's Hazard. And Willian looks in top form. Not much wrong with that lot.

However, Fabregas was quiet yesterday, but he just oozes class and I'm sure he'll be spot on come the weekend.

I think it's very hard to predict who'll be in the mix this season, the Spuds and Arsenal have been very quiet, City and the Mancs have spent heavily, as to a lesser degree, have Chelsea. Everton have gone ballistic.

It'll all come out in the wash.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller, yes Chelsea still have a strong squad.

I've always admired Willian who you mention - his yellow card was a bit harsh, for diving ? When a player is flying around like that, sometimes he'll lose his footing, try to escape injury or even, clip his own heels. This new toughness on diving is a bit silly for that reason.

A simple suggestion, common sense - let a player dive as he wishes, but he only becomes open for sanction IF he appeals to the Ref. for a foul ?   ;)

Online Teessider

Replays showed that Bellerin did make contact with Willian so the yellow card was undeserved. The way forward is to encourage referees to award pens when illegal tackles are made and not wait for a player to go down. How many times do we see forwards stay on their feet allowing the referee to avoid making a decision. When I played up front, a long time ago, I reckon I got about 1 in 6 penalty decisions. If playerscare to run the risk of further sanctions by the after match video police then any yellow cards given for diving should also be capable of being anulled as in Willians case
Blaine Pascal

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
A good start to the season for Huddersfield. Now top of the league. A day to remember for the club.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Yes Alfie, probably the best day Huddersfield will ever have - if they can stay top half that'll be an excellent achievement for them,

I saw Chelsea v Burnley on PPTV, C36 on PSI, live. Burnley played really well and took Chelsea by surprise. I have to agree with Caller that Morata looks great - and Willian for me, is always on fire ! Great player. Bad start for the Champs even though they looked strong.

Liverpool given a run by Watford and Rooney scores the Everton winner - well done him.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Chelsea had 72% of possession before Cahill's act of stupidity. Burnley only looked good when facing 10 men who defensively were all over the place. But all credit to them for doing what they had to do and well. A bigger blow is Fabregas missing the next game. Christensen has played the last two years in the Bundersliga on loan to  Borrussia Monchengladbach and was voted their player of the season. Cahill might find it hard to get back in.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Roger, I see Keiffer Moore has been loaned out to League One side Rotherham. He score two goals on Staurday against Bury and has scored six goals in six games so far this season! Not a bad start to his season.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Keiffer Moore continues to score, Roger. Nine goals so far this season! He's having a cracking loan spell.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Hi Alfie - KM got 5 in 4 games for Torquay. Maybe he'll make the Ist X1 at Ipswich on his return.

Here's some others I posted on the wrong thread earlier.

''I was chatting over a pint at Heathrow last week to a young Guy - he was telling me about Spurs new ground. The Spurs football pitch will be rolled out lengthwise in 3 pieces from under an end stand, over an astroturf type pitch underneath - (this Guy's Company had sold over 2000 rollers).

The idea is that being able to hold just two (apparently) NFL games per season will enable the financing of the new stadium. Rolling the Spurs' pitch out takes a half hour or so.

I'm surprised the FA are happy with this idea - after all there are going to be two 100 metre grass joints the length of the pitch. I wonder what happens when there's a bad bounce around the penalty area ? How solid is the base ?  Will the more weighty Premier players make a dent when they land from a high jump ?
(Adebayo Akinfenwa is pre-banned from using it apparently).

If the NFL interests are actually going to put in enough dosh to enable the project - so be it. Appalling though it is to see this awful but awful (IMHO) game brought to our shores in greater strength.

What I don't get, design wise, is why the Spurs pitch is not grounded underneath with the astroturf being rolled out occasionally above - it's bizarre. It's not as if the pitch quality matters for the NFL is it ? I predict a disaster for Spurs' project. ATB

P.S. I read up on this in a recent DT article - but I can't find the exact one now
.''

And . . . .

''Alfie yes Aston Villa and JT are heading to the play off zone now after some good results. You gotta wish the old rascal JT well haven't you ?  ;)

I see Pep Guardiola praised the humility of Man. City's Kevin de Bruyne while Chelsea's Conte bemoans the loss of this same player to CFC in Mourinho's day. City and Man Utd look in charge of the EPL atm even though Spurs look in good form with Harry Kane rampant again. As for the rest atm - they already look like 'also rans'.

After 7 games poor old Palace (P. 7. L. 7 GF. 0 GA. 17) face Chelsea next - their plight almost matched by hapless Torquay who held the NL leaders to 0-0 until a 90th minute penalty - the fifth game they've lost in the 90th and injury time this season. Apparently Torquay deserved to win.

In the Championship - surely one or two of Bolton, Sunderland and Birmingham will fight free of the drop zone before too long. Burton Albion look to be in freefall !

Great to see Football back - I recently saw Swindon Town (first visit for 40 years) and was greatly chuffed to see a slightly older Don Rogers, Frank Burrows and John Trollope sitting in the stand nearby - heroes of the Wembly win against Arsenal. I also saw TUFC but least said the better about that !

Nice day all
.''

Gonna watch Arsenal's second half later - a win for them I think ?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
There's a lesson to be learned from this!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_oZZKjrKds" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_oZZKjrKds</a>

It took place in Thailand. The under-18s youth cup, apparently.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Thanks Alfie that's hilarious  :D

Watching Arsenal wallop Everton on Sunday, I thought Petr Cech put in a wacky performance - I think the rest of the team thought, 'bloody hell, Petr's on a bender, we'll have to play well today' ! And they did.

Manchester rules OK atm. Spurs and Chelsea can get a chase going but one has to doubt that the Arsenal will do the same. Liverpool struggling badly. Pre season, I commented that Everton (just heard Koeman's gone !) and West Ham seemed to have made some great signings but that ain't worked out too well has it ?

Did anyone else think that Spurs new ground was in concept - bonkers ?

TUFC off the bottom of the National League at last.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:09:16 AM by Roger »

Online Teessider

Sunderland have sacked another manager. Simon Grayson has been given the boot after 15 games in charge aftr only drawing at home to Bolton. Incredibly Sunderland have not won a home game in 2017. Grayson brought in several new players to replace the 15 or 16 that left. They were Aidan McGeady, Janes Vaughan, Robin Ruiter, Jason Steele, Marc Wilson and Callum Macmanaman on permanent deals as well as Brendan Galloway, Tyias Browning, Jonny Williams and Lewis Grabban on loan. Lamine Kone, for whom they turned down a bid of £18m last year, has lost his place to the slow and eldefly John O'Shea. Who will they turn to. Big Sam again? Mick McCarthy again? Aitor Karanka? Roy Keane again? Current favourite is Kevin Phillips who would also be my choice.
Blaine Pascal

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Sweet Lord Teess ! ''Incredibly Sunderland have not won a home game in 2017. ''
Your other team should be TUFC.
It's a tragedy for your great Club - I remember Sunderland bringing 7000 ? fans down to Swindon in the 70's I think. That's some journey.
Grayson probably knew he couldn't do it. But just 15 games ?
Patience ! Good luck.  :-[

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
An amazing night for English clubs in Europe.  ;D

Spurs beat Real Madrid 3-1 at Wembley. With Trippier, Winks, Dier, Kane and Alli in the side, SURELY young Southgate might win a game or few in next year's World Cup ? Well done Pochettino !!

Man City crush Napoli 2-4 with Stones and Sterling in their best form for some years, Fabian Delph playing too and Walker on the bench. Liverpool sort out Maribor 3-0 with Milner, Henderson, Sturridge and Oxlade-C in the team.

English club sides often don't compete too well in Europe, but with performances like this, will the National team be able to pick up the theme ?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Congratulations re. Wolves ! Good to see. My 3 sons are Leeds fans - ffs ! (Thye are not quite so cheerful atm  :-[ )

What happened to Leeds, Roger? They were doing great at the beginning of the season but seem to have collapsed. They're still in tenth place but only because of their great start to the season. Has the manager lost the dressing room? Or is there something else?