Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Premier League and other football chat 2017/8  (Read 3329 times)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Premier League and other football chat 2017/8
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »

Hi Alfie. Don't know about Leeds - it looks like it was just an early season flush of form !

Watched Man City v Arsenal last night. City were very impressive again but I thought Arsenal had a good go in the second half. Aguero looked unhappy going off. For Arsenal, Sanchez tried hard as ever but I bet he rues missing out on that summer transfer. Doesn't look like Man. City need him now. Wenger is infuriating - Lacazette on the bench with Giroud and they lose . . . .  Just MO but the 'chase' is over this year for the Gunners already.

Stories coming out of Chelsea make me wonder if all is well. Does Conte really miss Italy ? David Luiz is dropped. But a good win for CFC over the unbearable Mourinho who is boring Man Utd fans to death atm.

Talk of Moyes going to West Ham or Everton ? It's gonna be quite a scrap around the relegation zone this year.

In the Championship, sad to see the bottom 3 - Sunderland, Bolton and Brum with Hull and Reading not far above the zone either.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »

I don't understand why there has been all the noise about Conte, to be honest and it was good to see Chelsea put on such a good display yesterday. We have had significant injuries to deal with, especially Hazard and Kante, but look back to our best now and I think the score line yesterday flattered United. Even though we looked good yesterday, I look forward to Moses returning as I think we look so much better balanced when he is there, although Zappacosta is proving to be an excellent back up.

It's been evident that some players have been basking in the glory of last seasons title and real champions don't do that and Luis has been guiltier than most. I'm sure he'll fight back, as last season he was immense. But Conte is right, we haven't been playing with the intensity of last season and hopefully that is now in the past. But time will tell on that one.

Teessider

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 04:25:07 PM »

At the moment there is no team close to challenging City. United are limited but may improve when Zlatan and Pogba return. Much vaunted Spurs seem to be struggling to keep it up week after week and are heavily dependent on Kane. Arsenal are regressing with Sanchez playing out his last few weeks and Ozil underperforming. Liverpool have no defence but are a good watch. Chelsea cant play without Kante and Conte has now fell out with Luiz. Incidentally when Sakho missed his header againt Gazzaniga early on should it not have been a penalty? Every other team just trying to stay up.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »

At the moment there is no team close to challenging City.

I agree with that, its hard not to, but I think like all teams, they will hit a lean spell. Liverpool ran them close before Manes sending off and even arsenal yesterday tested them for a while. I think Spurs could be their toughest game.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »

West Ham - Bilic OUT and Moyes IN apparently. I wonder how that will go ?

Teess - did you want him back at Sunderland ?
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Teessider

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »

Errr No. He took a functioning team put together by Big Sam and turned them into the shambles we have now. If West Ham take on Moyes they will go down. I hope they do. They deserve to having been gifted a virtually free 60,000 capacity stadium.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 05:15:37 AM »

Teess it seems to me that West Ham need saving but David Moyes does too !
I'd like to think he can do well but his record since the Everton days is overall, not good.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »

Morning Teess - I daresay you've heard that Chris Coleman is your new Manager at Sunderland.
A decent Guy who has done well for Wales - I guess he couldn't resist the higher pay packet rather than the 'safety' of the Wales job. Good luck with that - Coleman's record as a Club Manager
is patchy ?

I wonder if Conte at Chelsea is watching the vacant Italy job now ?

See some text on France 24 saying that Pogba and Ibrahamovic are back in the Man Utd squad for today ? I think Man Utd will benefit from that.

I'll be very surprised if Arsenal can hold Spurs with Erikkson rampant atm !

Glad the EPL is back - missed it!

Teessider

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »

Just read  that. Lets see how he gets on. I actually think they were a bit premature in sacking Grayson. Hopefully Coleman will be strong enough to contnue the squad overhaul and get rid of the old guard, Cattermole and O'Shea, for starters.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »

Good to see Sunderland climb to 3rd from the bottom with 14 points (as TUFC do the same in the National with 17 points).  A bit happier atm ?
A decent start for Chris Coleman but it's a big job he has to do.

How is Defoe getting on at B'muff ? Was it a 3 year contract and that was big dosh for an old 'un - did they over stretch ?

These weekly predictions are frustrating - my own performance is more than dismal really. But looking back at pre-season thoughts, I did spot MCFC and M.Utd as standing out. Just those 2 and CFC now for the EPL I suppose. Spurs are fading atm and though Arsenal have got a good result or two - will it last ?

I thought Swansea might have a hard time but was wrong in tipping West Ham and Everton for a good season !

Nil desperandum. Teess - I may catch you at the top of the Predictors list yet ! Or not.

Teessider

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:26 PM »

I think Defoe is injured at the moment but that shouldn't have prevented him for being nominated for BBC sports personalty of the year. Disgrace Kane is there (Spurs) having won the same number of trophies as Defoe. Some of the other nominees are unknown. Another absentee is Phil Taylor. As for Spurs if City win tonight Spurs will be 16 pts behind and only 15 ahead of Palace.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 02:16:34 PM »

If Defoe is nominated for SPOTY that's plumb crazy - nothing against him but there are far more deserving achievers around IMO.  ???

Teessider

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »

Defoe should be nominated not so much for his football, though he did reclaim his England place, but for his friendship with the terminally ill 6 year old  child Bradley Lowery. If you are unaware of this story it explains everything that is wrong with the london centric media.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 04:34:56 PM »

Teess. I was aware of that story but IMO SPOY should be about sport itself. Yes Defoe is a true Gent of course and it was a touching friendship.

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »

Defoe was wonderful with Bradley Lowery, but over the years many sportsmen, including footballers, have befriended seriously and terminally ill children and either created charities or strongly supported charities that provide care and assistance for such children and their families.

I have no idea who the sportsmen are that Tees mention in his post and the SPOTY is generally something I have lost interest in since being here, but I think the outcome should be decided by sporting prowess alone, to be honest.

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 01:34:12 PM »

Wayne Rooney on fire yesterday with a nice hat-trick. One goal from the half-way line!

Their next manager, Big Sam, was sitting watching. Everton on the way back up?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxHIPQJFNU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxHIPQJFNU</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCqjhxTngLI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCqjhxTngLI</a>
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 04:54:10 AM »

Thanks for that Tube Alfie - actually on my coal fired computer - it wouldn't open. But well done Rooney. Maybe he was holding up Man Utd's development a little, maybe not, but he still knows his way around a football pitch and how to score ! Excellent and good to see Everton on the way back - hopefully. A great Club - I saw Everton v Arsenal maybe 20 years ago with a Pal - his Dad Jack Lyons, used to play with Tommy Lawton in the 40's I believe.
With Sam Allardyce at the helm now - he's a good Manager but a bit dodgy - how will they do. Actually the dumped David Unsworth is a great fellow and his brief reign ended with Everton 5 points clear of the relegation places . . . .

I expected another strong challenge from Spurs this year - but 16 points behind MCFC and in 7th. Has the bubble burst ? Will they pick up ? Pochettino's new book, even though for charity, might have rolled the 'morale' of some. In the summer Spurs lost Kyle Walker - maybe they need some big signings now - Bale ?

I like Alan Pardew but he's a bit excitable. Gary Nelson, an ex Plymouth icon and a Charlton and TUFC player, wrote 2 books based in the lower leagues - 'Left Foot Forward' and ? - he spent a lot of time with 'Pards' at Charlton and he came over OK. Good luck to Pards at WBA - another strange choice.

ENGLAND'S WORLD CUP OPPONENTS - BELGIUM, TUNISIA & PANAMA. The pundits are saying it's an easy Group - but Belgium have some GOOD players . . .  Courtois, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Chadli, Mertens, E Hazard, Batshuayi, Mirallas, Mignolet all in a recent squad.
Media hype followed by disappointment ?

I see Teess is 18 points clear of ME in the 'Predictions' league. How does he do it ?
Shame.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »

Jermaine Defoe scored 2 fantastic goals for B'muff against Hodgson's Palace and there's life in another old boy, Mr Wayne Rooney who has now scored 8 EPL goals for Everton.

Jose Mourinho picks a scrap in the 'away' dressing room after the game - City now have 14 EPL wins in a row. Also at Man Utd, Luke Shaw, still only 22, is apparently demanding a £5 million pay-off before leaving - his current £130K a week will be hard to match.

Olivier Giroud scores after playing 16 minutes - how Arsenal keep leaving him on the bench is beyond me. Similarly Charlie Austin who can't get into the Saints team much, has scored a goal for every 80 minutes on the pitch - about 40 goals in a full season. Crazy.

The excellent David Silva scores for City and I thought how lucky we are to see him, Coutinho, Cazorla, Hazard, Salah and all in the EPL.

Sunderland fans are happier with a Championship point than TW's Wolves who are still gloriously top - I'd love to see them back in the Premier.

Any thoughts on our World Cup group ?
ENGLAND'S WORLD CUP OPPONENTS - BELGIUM, TUNISIA & PANAMA. The pundits are saying it's an easy Group - but Belgium have some GOOD players . . .  Courtois, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Chadli, Mertens, E Hazard, Batshuayi, Mirallas, Mignolet all in a recent squad.

Teessider

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »

Klopp throws away 2 points by leaving out Coutinho and Firmino from his team v Everton. City dominated united and fully deserved their win. Indeed Defoe's second goal was a beauty. Hard to see anyone getting close to City now.
I agree Roger that the EPL has plenty of talent and would add Pogba, Aguero, Sanchez and Ozil to your list as well as some lesser lights such as Richarlison.
Easy group for England but you never know with them and when they play Tunisia they will be up against Sunderland's Wahbi Khazri.
Blaine Pascal

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:52 PM »

Looks like in Europe that Chelsea will have to beat Barcelona - again!  ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8