Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Premier League and other football chat 2017/8  (Read 3326 times)

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Premier League and other football chat 2017/8
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 05:53:27 AM »

Well done Burnley - into the top FOUR! Many K-F's must be at an age to remember their 'glory' days under Harry Potts with Angus, Elder, Lochhead, Pointer, Connelly etc. and the wonderful Jimmy McIlroy . . .

Re. MUFC v MCFC - one obvious question . .  Would there have been a scrap at all if Mourinho had stayed in his own dressing room - after all, his team had been outplayed - he must have had something to talk about to his own players ? JM - highly successful but a prat.

''When Guardiola’s claims that City had shown United huge respect were put to Mourinho, the United manager said: “He says, he says, I’m not here to comment on his words, the only thing I can say is that for me it was just a question of diversity, diversity in behaviours, diversity in education, just that and nothing more than that.” Guardiola and City are likely to raise eyebrows over Mourinho lecturing them over their behaviour given the controversy that has followed the Portuguese’s career.'' (BBC).

Great win for Chelsea back on track - for runner's up ! The super-manic Conte would do well to reflect on JM's sacking just a few months after winning the EPL - there are rumbles about Conte's attitude to the feisty CFC hierarchy.

Ethan Ampadu, at 17 a Wales international, made his Chelsea debut in the EPL last night, the youngest since Jody Morris many years ago. Exeter City should have a juicy amount coming in compensation for his signing.

And TUFC equalise in the 89th minute - scored by centre-back Sean McGinty - his 4th career goal, (3 at TUFC). Once signed by MUFC from Charlton for a £million and after spells at 12 Clubs, now at the bottom of the National League and still only 24. There are rumours that EFL clubs are circling again - a nice big fee please !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:55:57 AM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Teessider

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »

Manchester City thrash Spurs and move 14 points clear. Troy Deeney gets a red card for a bad tackle while Dele Alli and Harry Kane see only yellow after worse tackles. Lanzini and Ndidi both dive seeking a penalty, Lanzini gets one, Ndidi gets a second yellow. Sunderland win a home game for first time in 2017!
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »

Hi Teess. Some terrible tackles go unpunished or get a yellow - going through the man to take the ball. Serious question marks over Alli who seems to have lost form and have a poor temperament - he looks both arrogant and nasty. He needs to steady up as he ain't achieved his potential yet.

What about 3 old favourites doing well again ? Hodgson has got Palace off the bottom to 14th, West Ham showing signs of life at 15th with your Pal Moyes and Big Sam has now got Everton up to 9th, (mind you I think David Unsworth might have had them turning the corner already).

The top teams are flying again but paper talk of unrest at Man U under Mourinho - why does Lukaku refuse to celebrate scoring ? David Luiz to Arsenal ? Man City 16 wins in a row chased by an unimpressive Man U.

Yes well done Sunderland - winning 1-0 with 34% possession BUT 70% of the shots on target. First home win in 364 days - that's some spell !
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:56:48 AM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »

Roger, Moyes is at West Ham, Big Sam is at Everton,
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »

Jivvy thanks. I know that of course but I muddled and clipped my sentence.  :-[
Half asleep I think. Edited now. ATB

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »

Coming back to it - 4 old favourites just started managing EPL teams again.

That's Hodgson at Palace, Allardyce at Everton and David Moyes at West Ham, who after a few good results is claiming 'he can do any job in the World !! Brave words David  :-[

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42405860

AND good ole' 'head butt' Alan Pardew - maybe a poisoned chalice at WBA ?

Is there a trend back to British managers in EPL Boardrooms ?

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »

Everton are up to ninth in the table already. What a turnaround. And Palace unbeated in 5 games. Good stuff.

Who's next for a new manager. Swansea?
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »

Who's next for a new manager. Swansea?

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

Paul Clement: Swansea sack manager after less than a year in charge
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »

:D 

That leaves Benitez next in line for the chop unless he can change Newcastle's results very soon. When the new owner arrives, she might decide the time is right for a new manager.

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »

:D 

That leaves Benitez next in line for the chop unless he can change Newcastle's results very soon. When the new owner arrives, she might decide the time is right for a new manager.

They need to change the players, not the manager! He irritated the crap out of me when he was in opposition to Chelsea and that carried on when he became Chelsea manager. But it has to be said that he is a top manager.

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »

Just over a week to the January transfer window opening. Let's see who he gets in.

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »

Middlesbrough have parted company with Garry Monk.
Sheffield Wednesday have parted company with Carlos Carvalhal.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »

Yes Alfie - Monk and Carvalhal both lost their jobs, after their last game, against each other !
Both Clubs were doing OK.

The legendary Dennis Bergkamp has also been sacked as Asst. Manager at Ajax.

I noticed that Thomas Rosicky, another old favourite from Arsenal, has retired from Sparta Prague due to a succession of injuries. 105 caps for Czech republic. Great player IMO.

Jose Mourinho calls his players 'immature' and berates them for 'childish decisions'. I bet they loved that after his trouble making in the Man City tunnel recently. In the Guardian, speculation about JM having his '3rd season syndrome' in his 2nd season at Man Utd :-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/25/manchester-united-jose-mourinho-third-season-syndrome-manchester-city

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

Sheffield Wednesday have parted company with Carlos Carvalhal.

Carlos Carvalhal is now the new manager at Swansea. He wasn't unemployed for long!

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2017, 03:59:11 AM »

Hi Alfie. Just 4 days ?? And before Carvalhal joined Wednesday he'd been 'resting' for 3 years.
Carvalhal must be an impressive character to have got the Wednesday job in the first place - he seems to have had an unimpressive record previously. And I wonder if Wednesday's BoD knew of the Swansea interest ? They 'let him go' after reaching the play offs in the last 2 years and were 11 points from relegation and play off zones.

Virgil Van Dyke £75 million - crazy fee but Liverpool have long wanted him. Good player.

Rumours abound - Arsenal's Walcott, Giroud seem to hang loose and Sanchez is surely off to MCFC or PSG ? CFC's Hazard and MCFC's Aguero to Real Madrid ? Interesting indeed.

EPL's Champions League spots will surely be taken by the BIG 6 - there's no place for a Leicester City type event this year. Mourinho cynics like me have to concede that Man U are right there in second atm.

Top Scorers - as the World Cup approaches in dear old Mother Russia - rampant Kane is on 18, great to see Sterling at last doing well, 12, romping Rooney on 10, well done him, and Vardy scoring again 8. Come on England !

In the Championship, TW's Wolves 8 points clear and Tees' S'land are edging up. In the Conference, a briefly resurgent TUFC now anchored in the sad zone by 9 points.

Back to bed I think ! Then a bike ride to Laem Sing beach for breakfast. Nice day to all.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:17:57 AM by Roger »

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:09 AM »

I noticed this 'fact' on the BBC website this morning - after Ragnar Klavan of Estonia scored for Liverpool yesterday, he was noted as the 97th player of different nationality to score in the Premier League (since it's inception?).    ??? ???

For some reason this stat excludes 'own goals'.

Amazing.  8)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »

^ It seems to be the trend in British football these days, Roger. Maybe in other countries too. Stats mad. The same with "assists". In my day (when I were a lad) all we wanted to know about was who scored. Now we get not only who passed the ball to them before they scored but how many "assists" each player had made in a season. It's all stats, stats, stats. Presumably they want to justify the massive amounts of money that gets spent on football and how much TV and other media spend on football coverage.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »

Yes plenty of Stats Alfie - even the 'ground covered' by each Player during the game - that's good for the Manager to spot any slackers !

Carlos Tevez has left China to return to Boca Juniors having presumably made all the money he needs now. Remember his strange arrival at West Ham in 2006 along with Mascherano who now seems on the fringe at Barcelona ?

Ross Barkley turns up at CFC for £15 million - I wonder how that will turn out. IMO a poor replacement if Hazard goes to Real Madrid as suggested.

I've a feeling that Liverpool may finish 2nd now as Van Dyke shores their defence wobbles.
It'll be interesting to see what happens at Arsenal who look out of sorts at 6th position and 4 points off 4th place. Sanchez, Giroud, Walcott all unsettled. How long before the calls for Arsene's head begin again ?

Everton pay £27 million for a Turkish international - Tosun.

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »

I reckon this keeper needs his eyes checked.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw-Ehkea8Vs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw-Ehkea8Vs</a>
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8