Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Premier League and other football chat 2017/8  (Read 3112 times)

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Premier League and other football chat 2017/8
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:03 PM »

Hi Caller.

IMO Gordon Taylor is self-serving and has been in the job far too long - 37 years. I have seldom seen him talk with any authority or clarity over some difficult issues. I've always thought he was greedy on the salary front. He could have retired 8 years ago on his no doubt fat pension.

I'd be surprised if the fees the PFA receive are anything other than a % of the Broadcasting Rights that the Buyers find acceptable - after all, the PFA do not own those rights to sell.

Taylor has cost Joe Public a penny, as soon as they subscribe to Sky etc. Indirectly maybe, and his £2.3 million goes out of the game instead of to injured players etc.

I think Jimmy Hill would be spinning in his grave - after all, when he first enabled Johnny Haynes to get £100 weekly, that would have been about 5 times the UK average wage ? Taylor's £2,300,000 is maybe 75 times the average wage in the UK now.

The PFA is not a large organisation but apparently Taylor is the highest paid Trade Union leader, IN THE WORLD !  ???

Just some reasons why I don't like him. ATB

Yes Roger and with respect, I think it's pretty clear your views aren't based on any rational analysis. Comparing a players salary then compared to the head of the PFA, yet alone anyone playing in the top two divisions now, makes little sense, although they both exceed the current average wage by a lot more than 5 times, but then such players today do play to audiences of millions around the World.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »

Caller - it's rational enough - the wage of the top footballer in Jimmy Hill's days compared to the average wage earned - Mr Haynes v Joe Public - say a 5 times multiple.

I'm comparing Gordon Taylor's salary NOW v Joe Public NOW - a multiple of 70 times ?

The size of the audience for football is not relevant IMO - they're not watching Gordon Taylor  ;)

He is neither artist or entrepreneur - just a simple (and mediocre) Administrator.
Ludicrous is the word. Money grabbing is what it is.

The highest paid Trade Union Boss in the world ?
Off with his head I say !  ::) ATB

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »

Whoops ! Daily Telegraph 12 February 2018

''Arsenal released an eight-year-old Harry Kane because he was 'chubby and not very athletic', former academy chief Liam Brady has revealed. Kane - pictured wearing an Arsenal jersey as a child - has developed into a goalscoring sensation at bitter rivals Tottenham Hotspur who spotted him after he was let go. The England striker has scored seven league goals against Arsenal, including the winner in last Saturday's 1-0 north London derby victory at Wembley.

“He was a bit chubby, he wasn’t very athletic but we made a mistake,” former Arsenal academy director Brady told Italian publication Corriere della Sera. “But Tottenham sent him out on loan to lower-division clubs three or four times as well. “But through his determination he has carved out an amazing career and he deserves it. He has a character that drives him to improve all the time."

The 24-year-old needs two more goals to break the Premier League record for most goals in north London derbies - an accolade held by Emmanuel Adebayor with eight. Speaking before Tottenham's win - which moved them seven points clear of Arsenal in sixth - Kane said the club's decision to release him left him with a 'chip on my shoulder' and a strong desire to prove the club wrong. Kane said: “I remember the first time we played against Arsenal [for Tottenham’s academy team] and even back then, I had a chip on my shoulder.

“It might sound ridiculous. I was only eight when they let me go, but every time we played them, I thought, ‘Alright, we’ll see who’s right and who’s wrong’. “Looking back on it now, [being released by Arsenal] was probably the best thing that ever happened to me because it gave me a drive that wasn’t there before. “ "For me, the rejection is the best thing that ever happened to me. I remember walking round the pitch after the final whistle and clapping to the fans and it felt like, ‘well, I told you so’. “We were in the tunnel, and I thought, ‘Okay took me 12 years, but we’ll see who was right and who was wrong. “I scored two that day, and the winner in the 86th minute was something that I’d never even dream of visualising before a match
."

Whoops  :-X

Nice picture of young Kane on this link . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/12/liam-brady-arsenal-released-harry-kane-bit-chubby/

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2018, 08:21:31 PM »

Hi. So where were the PFA during nearly 20 years of this ?

''The former football coach Barry Bennell has been found guilty of multiple sexual offences against boys from the youth systems of Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra. The jury heard he had used his position in the sport to disguise the fact that he was a “child molester on an industrial scale”.

Bennell, 64, was convicted of 36 charges at Liverpool crown court relating to 10 boys and the jury will return on Wednesday for a fifth day of deliberations about seven charges that are still outstanding against a man described by the prosecution as a “devious paedophile”. After 19 hours of deliberations, the jury of five men and six women convicted Bennell of 27 counts of indecent assault, seven counts of buggery and two counts of attempted buggery. Not guilty verdicts were returned on three further charges, on the direction of the judge earlier.

Bennell previously served three prison sentences in England and the US and had been described by the prosecution as having “pretty much unfettered access to large numbers of young lads who dreamt of a life in professional football”, in his role as a youth coach in Cheshire, Manchester and Derbyshire from the late 1970s to the early 1990s.
''

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/13/barry-bennell-found-guilty-of-sexually-abusing-youth-footballers

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2018, 07:58:03 AM »

Hi. So where were the PFA during nearly 20 years of this ?

Where were the clubs, the Police, you? Who knows.

Why don't you ask them?

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »

I agree Caller. Shocking that this abuse can go on for 20 years.

A few weeks ago I watched 'Spotlight' a film dealing with child abuse in the RC Church in Boston USA. Suspecting there might be 8 offenders they end up with 93 Priests, just in Boston ! And the same situation all over the USA and the wider world. Brilliant film IMO.

Teessider

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »

Richard Scudamore, the premier league chairman was paid £3.448m last year! More than £1m higher than Taylor.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2018, 05:57:05 AM »

Hi Teess. Thanks for that.

Scudamore's package IMO is an absolute disgrace although he does have much more influence and a bigger job than Taylor. But again, he is largely just a fortunate Administrator with the right CV rather than a genius or an entrepreneur - (the only sort of people that IMO can justify such earnings).

Re. Taylor - I'd say a salary of 20% of Scudamore's, who would be very lucky to get £1 million when the 'Revolution' comes . . . All good fun.

A large part of that £3.448 million could have gone to smaller Clubs and 'Welfare' for Players and Trainees. Every little helps . . .

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »

I see the Rooney Family have had a fourth boy child !
Good luck to the long suffering Coleen and wishing them all well.  ;D

Four W.B.A. players including Gareth Barry, who is old enough to know much better, drive themselves home in a 'borrowed' Taxi in Barcelona - as if W.B.A. didn't have enough problems.

On opposing sides in Chelsea v Hull yesterday - Ethan Ampadu, just 18, from Exeter City, fee to be decided and for Hull, Angus McDonald ex TUFC having transferred from Barnsley for £800,000 (rumoured). Ethan's lot came out on top 4-0.

Lastly another Gordon Taylor comment - his package is 4 times the amount awarded to all the PFA's ex-Players in distress with illness and hardship apparently. MMMMmmm.

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »

Sunderland is apparently up for sale, Roger. Get your cheque book out. Only £50 million.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »

An update on that Alfie - according to this report on BBC, Ellis Short is now prepared to sell his Sunderland shareholding for NOWT  :o  if the Buyer takes over the debt of £137 million. ''Around half of the debt, £69m, is owed to the London-based businessman personally and it is thought the billionaire may forego some or all of that figure as part of any deal.''

So Teess and me just gotta have a plan to refund £68 million of debt ! UUUmmmm ?
We can issue 68,000 voting bonds of £1,000 each to pay that off. That's 34,000 at an average take of 2 each. A lot of Folks. Difficult to find that many ?

That would leave the Club to run on gate money, EFL/TV money and sponsorships etc.

OR Sunderland can find a nice Billionaire to look after them - whoops - that's already failed once. Teess you must be despairing at the state of the finances and it looks like League 1 football next year. Sad to see. Good luck.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43157628

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »

What about that Sergio Aguero punch at the Wigan fan ?  8)
I don't blame Aguero - this hooligan should not have been on the pitch at all and was no doubt running at Aguero screaming abuse. And how's Aguero to know he's not got a knife in his pocket. Shameful of that Wigan crowd to abuse Man City, instead of applauding their own sides great win !

I noticed an article about Saido Berahino ex West Brom and at Stoke City now - if he fails to score this weekend, that'll be 2 years since he last scored. Surprising for a talented player once so sought after by top Clubs. GL to him !

Willian of Chelsea hit the post twice before scoring against Barcelona - great player IMO. Complacent Arsenal scrape through in their Europa league tie - I wouldn't be surprised to see them bounce back at Man City on Monday.

Mourinho seems to have problems with Paul Pogba now.

jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »

The amazing skills of Ronaldino
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dBz4dTZocg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dBz4dTZocg</a>
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »

Arsenal have been walloped twice in a week by Man City, back to form after their FA Cup exit ! What now for Arsenal ? After signing Lacazette, Mikitaryan and Aubameyang and securing Ozil at great cost, they look even more lost than in recent seasons.
30 points behind Man City now - the Champions League places look difficult.  :(

It is many years since I heard anything about Brian McClair.
In the DT today :-

''There are few more authentic eye-witnesses to Manchester United’s modern history than Brian McClair, who lived through Sir Alex Ferguson’s transformation of the club from first division mediocrities to the kings of the Premier League - first as a player and then as a coach. It is 30 years since his first year at Old Trafford, when he scored more league goals in a season than any United player since George Best. He was there for Ryan Giggs’ debut, Eric Cantona’s arrival and he has the assist for David Beckham’s 1996 Wimbledon halfway line goal.

In 14 years working at the academy he oversaw the development of every bright young thing from Gerard Pique and Paul Pogba to Marcus Rashford and Scott McTominay. He says he can even remember the first time anyone in the United squad sent a text message – and not least because it was him, the story being a good example of his famously laconic dressing room wit. “My brother-in-law was a BT engineer and explained to me how to text before anyone else had. People at the club were getting scared because they thought they were getting messages from the dark side. I used to text them, ‘Life’s s--- and then you die’.”

At 54 he sports a fulsome grey beard and lives in Edinburgh, where he relocated when he quit United in 2015 for a short-lived spell with the Scottish Football Association. He loves to walk for miles a day and old conventions die hard. Late for our meeting in Manchester, he mentions the Scot who brought him to United. “People talk about ‘Fergie time’ in the sense of him always pointing at his watch but for me Fergie time is not being late. I’m late today and I feel embarrassed about it. If I arrange to meet someone I get there 10 minutes early because I still think if I’m late I’m going to get a row for it. Because at United we would get a proper row for it. I didn’t want to ever leave Manchester United so I didn’t want to give the manager any excuses, other than me trying to run about on the pitch.”

He is self-deprecating but no-one lasts 11 years under Sir Alex Ferguson, as McClair did after signing from Celtic in the summer of 1987, without some talent. Of no less importance to the nine major trophies he won as a United player is what he achieved after he retired, as youth and reserve team coach and then academy director. He helped to launch scores of professional careers at United and elsewhere, including many flourishing in Jose Mourinho’s current side. “No one would have taken Jesse Lingard when he was 16 because he had the skeletal age of a 13-year-old,” McClair says. “We allowed him to take that opportunity. Scott McTominay had all sorts of problems with his growth. He was growing too fast and his body had to catch up and he missed time through injury. You support them in a different way. At one point we decided to tell him he has got an extra year because he’s fretting about it all the time.

“Jesse was one of the best players all the way through in each age group. He was brave. You just have to wait for them. They are always going to grow, you just don’t know when. They have all the other attributes. The biggest thing is to be patient with them. You have to be. They are going through all sorts of stuff. “A few have a stellar rise later but you can ask who were the best players in the youngest age groups and the coaches will say Marcus, McTominay, Jesse - even at seven or eight. We had to believe that would continue. The biggest challenge for any young boy is getting through puberty: looking at themselves in the mirror, styling their hair, putting smelly stuff on and noticing girls. If they get through that and still love football they have a chance.”
''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/01/brian-mcclair-exclusive-interview-sir-alex-ferguson-made-brilliant/

Teessider

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

Watched Brighton v Arsenal last night and Arsenals performance was terrible. In recent years they have had the flair of Sanchez, Walcott's pace, Oxlade-Chamberlain's skill, the aerial ability of Giroud. All gone now. While Aubemayang persevered up front and Ozil and Wilshere showed flashes, the likes of Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Xhaka, Chambers and Mustafi were passengers. I think time now for Arsene to announce that he will leave at the end of the season and hope to finish with Europa cup success.
Meanwhile at the other end of the table Pardew and Moyes continue to work their magic in turning decent players into rubbish teams.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »

Teess at Arsenal, the time for Wenger to go is now very long overdue IMO.

I watched Burnley v Everton on Saturday - even when Burnley were behind I thought they looked the better team. Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood looked a handful ! Everton seemed to fall apart at one stage. Allardyce really hasn't done very well with them - and they've spent big this year.

Interesting to see that Man City completed 902 passes, (approx 10 per minute), a Premier League record, when beating Chelsea 1-0. Champions Chelsea have a lot to do to get back to the Top 4.

On form Liverpool will be up for the Man Utd game on Saturday - it'll be hard to get a seat in the Pub for that one !

Re David Moyes, I hope he'll still get West Ham out of trouble but Alan Pardew is on borrowed time by all accounts - there's not much sign of life at WBA atm.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »

Liverpool are through to the last 8 of the Champions League - Man City will follow shortly. Spurs and Man Utd could make it 4 but Chelsea have a lot do at Barca. I wonder what odds you could get on all 5 EPL teams getting through ?

Sad to see the death of Davide Astori of Fiorentina - some unexplained concerns as yet. I see N'Golo Kante collapsed in training this week but the heart Doctor found nothing wrong. Worrying for him and all. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/05/ngolo-kante-fainted-chelsea-training-manchester-city-reports

And Cheick Tiote ex-Newcastle, playing in China, collapsed and died in training last year (corrected later) aged just 30.

Damon Lathrope ex Torquay now at Woking, broke his leg very badly at the weekend and will have to retire, at 28, due to other damage to arteries and veins. That's sad.

Teess I see Sunderland lost again - though they are only 4 points from safety, a couple of wins don't come easy down there ! Torquay United are as good as down already - 9 points from safety with 9 games left.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:21:00 PM by Roger »

Robert

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2018, 01:08:36 PM »

And Cheick Tiote ex-Newcastle, playing in China, collapsed and died in training last week aged just 30.

Hi Roger,

My apologies for stating this (because cause alone is sad enough) but Cheick Tiote died June 5, 2017 not last week.

Robert

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »

And Cheick Tiote ex-Newcastle, playing in China, collapsed and died in training last week aged just 30.

Tiote collapsed and died in June 2017.

I'm sure that Kante would have undergone other tests, apart from seeing a cardiologist.

Edit - Ah, I see Robert replied just before me.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »

Thanks Guys, that was last year not last week then. Thanks for the correction.

It's truly shocking for these fit young Men to be struck down.

Caller - yes I'm sure they'll keep a close eye on Kante. But paroxysmic atrial fibrillation can only be spotted during the event, maybe Kante needs to be 'tabbed up' for a week so they can see what is happening. Good luck to him.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8