Anton · 51 · 2495

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:51:53 PM by Anton »
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I don't think Thailand is particularly bad for violence. When I read the news from the UK, there seems to be no shortage of it there, but I suppose it's hard to give an accurate comparison.
'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Hi Anton. You post, 'the UK is known to be (a) land of hooligans'.
Sorry but you can't say that 'without offence'. It IS an offensive generalisation.

As Alfie has pointed out, ''it's hard to give an accurate comparison''.

Perhaps you could do some of the work to prove your point and post some reliable evidence.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Is there any particular reason why "A Clockwork Orange" was written and is set in the UK?

A Clockwork Orange was written in Hove, then a senescent seaside town.[11] Burgess had arrived back in Britain after his stint abroad to see that much had changed. A youth culture had grown, including coffee bars, pop music and teenage gangs.[12] England was gripped by fears over juvenile delinquency.[11] Burgess claimed that the novel's inspiration was his first wife Lynne's beating by a gang of drunk American servicemen stationed in England during World War II. She subsequently miscarried.[11][13] In its investigation of free will, the book's target is ostensibly the concept of behaviourism, pioneered by such figures as B. F. Skinner.[14]
Burgess later stated that he wrote the book in three weeks.[11]

Source - wiki.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Thanks Anton but in the circles I move in, the UK is not regarded as THE country of hooliganism. And what's the 'Orange' got to do with it for Heaven's sake ? It's just one book.

I thought you might have some comparative statistics with other countries . . .
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I don't think the 'land of smiles" means that everyone is always happy and Thais are all nice people. I don't think Thai people smile any more than British people but they do sometimes smile in situations that British people probably wouldn't smile - for example, just after they have cheated death by inches due to riding their motorbike the wrong way up a busy road with no lights on, or when they have just pulled out in front of you and you had to slam the brakes on. It seems to be an apologetic smile, or an embarrassed smile. Sometimes with younger people, it's an outright giggle.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
OK Anton - so when you write that the UK is KNOWN to be the land of hooligans what you really mean is NOT KNOWN but FELT to be. It's just a feeling in your circle of Friends. Sorry but 'known to be' sounds authoritative and it ain't authoritative, is it ?

That said there is much to deplore in the behaviour of some Brits abroad and at home - but it's not just Brits is it ? Many other Nations have the problem of hooliganism.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
About scope of this feeling, though, I'm quite sure that it is widespread and shared in several parts of continental Europe.

A quick search of google suggests they should be looking closer to home!

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Try this string: "UEFA ban English clubs"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/2/newsid_2494000/2494963.stm

Erm, 1985? What's has that got to do with anything happening today? Again, do yourself a favour and google, 'European football hooliganism'.

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Anton,

you do have heard about copycat behaviour I assume? Just some examples if I may?

One footballer started to pull up his socks above the knees. Thousand and thousand of others just did the same.
In The Netherlands my team Ajax was banned for 1 year after some idiot threw a metal bar on the pitch. Supporters of another team made havoc in Rome and were not welcome anymore in Naples.

There are more then enough examples to be found, personnaly I think many people like to follow instead of stand firm against something. Following is much easier. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Caller,
He's doing what he likes to do best, baiting the Brits, ignore him and with any luck he will stick his head so far up his arse that he wont be able to see his keyboard to write.
Pity really because sometimes his posts on other subjects can be excellent and very informative
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The thread has gone off track somewhat, hasn't it?. Isn't it supposed to be about Thailand? (My apologies for my post mentioning the UK!)

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
You're at it again Anton. Dress it up how you like, the slur is there.

If Europeans perceive what they perceive so be it, but it would be far better to test the reality of what they perceive and why and then comparing it to their own backyard, would it not? Are they any different?

Offline enrico

in 1955 i remember a film called THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE staring glen ford ? that was all about teenage violence ?   was that the start ? if so,, it was the the U.S.A. not the U.K.       ha ha ha     LOL       E

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
your anti-UK rhetoric and bias

the slur is there

What rhetoric? What bias? What slur? I'm mentioning facts.

I cant be assed dealing with you, but you talked of perceptions and any 'facts' you produce are only one way. When I produced 'facts' about Europe, you called it childish. Please feel free to stuff your slurs and bias up whatever orifice suits you most.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Anton you earlier agreed with this proposition - ''when you (Anton) write that the UK is KNOWN to be the land of hooligans what you really mean is NOT KNOWN but FELT to be''. Fair enough.

But in further discussion IMO, it appears your 'feelings' are closer to being an actual prejudice - founded in patchy if not selective knowledge ?

I used to visit Gent regularly and locals there dreaded the weekly Sunday visit of drinking hordes from closeby Holland. Russia is counted to be Europe these days I believe and the hooligan problem there is horrendous. Many many European countries have major problems with hooliganism. It's not just the UK these days.

All of us here surely deplore hooliganism and violence but the UK is IMO is no worse than any other European Country these days.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Weasel words Anton, weasel words.

Your anti-UK prejudice oozes out of your pores, it's part of your DNA and being in denial does you no good. Actually, such prejudice doesn't bother me, but your denials do.

It's evident with senior EU politicians as well and I truly wonder what has happened to have festered this? Think De Gaulle after all the UK did for him, yet he despised us. Maybe it's just a  Benelux thing, or at least a French thing?

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Come on Anton. What we Brits would say is, ''It's a fair cop Guv !''  ;)

Caller - some stirring words there. Good fight ! Someone has to stand up for us poor ole' Brits these days. For the record, Anton's post 12.10.2011 ''I am from Liège in Wallonia (French speaking side of Belgium).''

Alfie - you are of course forgiven for mentioning the UK on this thread - but didn't you know Anton was around ? The point remains, how does the LoS stand against other Nations maybe it's neighbours in S.E.Asia and China, the USA and Europe ?

Jivvy - the bite behind the smile eh ?

ATB

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Weasel words Anton, weasel words.

Your anti-UK prejudice oozes out of your pores, it's part of your DNA and being in denial does you no good. Actually, such prejudice doesn't bother me, but your denials do.

It's evident with senior EU politicians as well and I truly wonder what has happened to have festered this? Think De Gaulle after all the UK did for him, yet he despised us. Maybe it's just a  Benelux thing, or at least a French thing?

Benelux stand for Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg so please keep us out of this topic please  ;D ;D ;D