Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Post a Photo  (Read 2236 times)

Coolkorat

• Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Re: Post a Photo
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »

Caller, there is a story to add to the photo of Peel Castle:

The Myth of the Moddey Dhoo

In the days when Charles II was King in England, and Charles, Earl of Derby, was King in Mann, Peel Castle was always garrisoned by soldiers. The guard room was just inside the great entrance of the castle and a passage used to lead from it, through one of the old churches, to the Captain of the Guard's Room. At the end of the day one of the soldiers would lock the castle gates and carry the key through the dark passage to the Captain. The soldiers used to take turns to do this.

About this time a big black dog with rough curly hair was seen, sometimes in one room, next time in a different room. He did not belong to anyone there and apparently, no one knew anything about him. But every night, when the candles were lighted in the guard room and the fire was burning bright, he would come down the dark passage and lay himself down by the hearth. He made no sound but lay there until the break of day, when he would then get up and disappear into the passage.

The soldiers were at first terrified of him but after some time they were used to the sight of him and lost some of their fear, though they still looked upon him as something more than mortal. Whilst he was in the room the men were quiet and sober, and no bad words were spoken. When the hour came to carry the key to the Captain, two of them would always go together - no man would face the dark passage alone.

One night, however, one foolish fellow had drunk more than was good for him and he began to brag and boast that he was not afraid of the dog. It was not his turn to take the keys, but to show how brave he was, he said that he would take them alone. He dared the dog to follow him.

'Let him come,' he shouted, laughing; 'I'll see whether he be dog or devil!' His friends were terrified and tried to hold him back, but he snatched up the keys and went out into the passage. The Black Dog slowly got up from before the fire and followed him.

There was a deathly silence in the guard room; no sound was heard but the dashing of the waves on the steep rocks of the Castle Islet.

After a few minutes, there came from the dark passage the most unearthly screams and howls, but not a soldier dared to move to see what was going on. They looked at each other in horror.

Presently they heard steps and the rash fellow came back into the room. His face was ghastly pale and twisted with fear. He spoke not a word, then or afterwards. In three days he was dead and nobody ever knew what had happened to him that fearful night. The Black Dog has never been seen again.

p.s. this story is written in texts in various places around the Irish Sea. Talking to a renowned scholar of Viking tales, it is now believed this tale relates to the first recorded incidence of Rabies on the Isle of Man...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:16:12 PM by Coolkorat »

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:22 PM »

A little more subdued than intended:

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »

Another balmy spring afternoon on Sunday:

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2018, 05:26:53 PM »

Wednesday is training day (as are most days). I walked as per usual, but took a much more complex route. Anyone who uses Strava App can follow: let me know and I'll post my user name! Very tough climb up Peel Hill, and I met the hardcore fell runners on the way!

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »

Three more from this weekend. The 'abstract' is the side of a lifeboat with the lists of rescues painted on boards reflected in the paint. I couldn't believe this boat was 25 years old. It looked new. It is a Mersey-class boat capable of 15 knots. Due to be replaced next year by a Shannon-class boat capable of 28 knots: speedboat fast in heavy seas.... Living by the sea, and travelling by ferry regularly, I am an admirer and supporter of the RNLI. They do great work and are all volunteers prepared to risk their lives to save others. The way they keep their boat shows the pride and commitment they have.

The red brick building is, almost unbelievably, the police station. Those Victorians didn't mess around. No concrete bunkers for them.

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »

A cruise ship in the bay.

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »

We have a huge cock problem. Every car park seems to have a load of cocks poking their heads into everything.

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »

The fishing boats were arriving last night. They fish (rather, dredge) for scallops: Queen scallops, little delights that fetch amazing prices. People come to the IOM expecting wonderful fish, but find it hard to find, unlike great meat. It is purely down to market demand. The seafood is exported immediately, to markets from Spain to Japan. We get none of the good stuff. Those tales of talking to the fishermen and getting fresh fish direct from the boat? forget it. They'll get x10 what you offer from the wholesaler.

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2018, 05:03:24 PM »

Three more from Wednesday:

jivvy

• Solid Member +
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »

Thanks CK for the photo of the Isetta Bubble car.
I used to have a two tone green one in my early twenties,  ahh those were the days!!!
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2018, 07:19:51 PM »

I used to have an Isetta Bubble car. Two-tone green one in my early twenties,  ahh those were the days!!!

This one is red Jivvy:

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »

My GF then Missis around '67, had a Goggomobile 500 !
I had to change a kingpin and it took me a week . . .

sfs

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »

And the registration letters (UH) are what used to be issued in my hometown Cardiff.
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2018, 05:51:34 AM »

This little beauty has 4 wheels !
Up to 50 mph . . . Sheer luxury  8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goggomobil

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »

The last two weeks have seen fantastic weather here:

Roger

• Solid Member +
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »

CK. Sometimes you really hack me off !
Those pics again just lovely.
The real issue is - I.o.M. looks equal to my beloved Cornwall.
To which I'm off tomorrow.
Pip pip !

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »

CK. Sometimes you really hack me off !
Those pics again just lovely.
The real issue is - I.o.M. looks equal to my beloved Cornwall.
To which I'm off tomorrow.
Pip pip !

Thanks Roger! The last two weeks have been amazing, but Cornwall has a distinct edge on the weather and whilst we have some lovely beaches, sadly nothing to compare. Perhaps it's no coincidence that there is a strong celtic connection between the 'nations' farthest from London.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy!

CK

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2018, 08:17:22 PM »

We have had the best weather for decades, with non-stop sunshine. Amazing.

This last weekend, we went to find the wreck of the Fleetwood trawler "Pasages" (this the correct spelling for the boat!). Beached and wrecked in 1931, what remains is haunting. Worth the 6.5km walk.

Coolkorat

• Pix Isaan
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:01 PM »

Another from the wreck of the Pasages:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]