Korat-Farang.com

Post a Photo

Coolkorat · 258 · 12450

Spursruss and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
My favorite plane stopped flying  >:( >:( >:( I understand it from an economical point of view but boy what was it nice flying business class in the hump.

The days when flying was a pleasure. Sadly gone now. The days when the journey was a pleasurable part of the experience have been eviscerated by corporate beancounters. Pack 'em in, starve 'em, deny 'em clean air and civility. Perhaps some bright-eyed entrepreneur will recreate those halcyon days, but given that was supposed to be Richard Branson I think we're doomed.

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
There was a charity walk yesterday: 20kms coast-to-coast (east to west). You can see the route here.

Beautiful day for a walk; not too hot, but sunny and dry. Lots to see along the way.

IMG-20200906-142427" border="0
IMG-20200906-153740" border="0
Archery is very popular here. Some of the kit these guys had looks very expensive.

IMG-20200906-153838" border="0
IMG-20200906-155133" border="0
IMG-20200906-171336" border="0

Post walk reward Guinness settling. It subsequently settled in my stomach.

IMG-20200906-173430" border="0

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
You only went one way CK ?   ;)

Great pics again - IoM looks lovely. My favourite views were the Pub and the Harbour.

Thanks.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
You only went one way CK ?

Just East to West! The return might have been an ordeal. There is an annual walking contest here called the Parish Walk. The full distance is 85 miles, done in one go. It started as a bet and is now a competitive race walking event (and bloody arduous - there are some whopping hills on the route). Has to be completed in less than 24 hours......

Friends we walked with have a Discovery with an extra row of seats, so we all came back in their car.

Great pics again - IoM looks lovely. My favourite views were the Pub and the Harbour.

Thank you! It was a lovely day; we were lucky. The pub is The Creek, now a somewhat pricey gastropub. Sadly the Guinness was in a plastic glass (thanks Elfen Sayverty). Really great pub though; very historic.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
A few of mine I sent to the DM earlier  ;)   ;)   ;)

Seriously some stunning pics here, nearly as good as CK's . . . 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/escape/article-8763659/The-incredible-winners-2020-Drone-Photo-Awards.html
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
A few of mine I sent to the DM earlier  ;)   ;)   ;)
  ;)

Seriously some stunning pics here, nearly as good as CK's . . .
I wish Roger! One day perhaps! They are really stunning pictures. You know the old saying: the best camera there is, is the one you've got with you. With modern smartphones the cameras are amazing. I'd love to see more pictures on this forum. Alfie has amazing talent and we've not seen his bird photos for a while.

Offline rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Solid Member
    • Rokits Pictures
RDRO - forgive my ignorance, what is Mopar? (I know GM!)

Lovely car. I hope you rapidly moved-on the poseur leaning against it!  ;D

p.s. I might create another thread, a 'motors I've owned - loved, liked, hated' and move these posts into it.

It used to be that Europeans would belittle US sports cars as being great in a straight line but rubbish in the corners. Lotus built an entire brand on their mythical ability to make cars handle well. But the flip side (from a British perspective) was woeful reliability; Lotus was know as 'Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious. The acronym still haunts Lotus to this day... Seeing a Lotus is a rare event now.
Mopar is the parts, service and customer care division of American automobile manufacturer Chrysler. The name is a portmanteau of the words "MOtor" and "PARts". The word "mopar" is also used as a nickname by enthusiasts of Chrysler built products to refer to any product built by the company.

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
Seems a while since I posted. Here are some recent pictures:

Peel Harbour on an unusually calm evening. Pretty chilly, and very quiet!

The Promenade in Douglas, being redeveloped at a snail's pace. Absolute chaos for traffic....

The view from the Manx Museum.

Kippers from the factory shop in Peel. Delicious grilled in butter. Ideally should be smeared in marmalade but I didn't have any.

The Laxey Wheel, properly known as the Lady Isabella. Used to pump out the lead mines. It's a fascinating walk and interesting to see the information signs and pictures, and read the history. Some of the miners were just boys. Dirty, dangerous work with zero health and safety. At one time it was one of the most productive mines in the British Isles, and many locals then went to work in the gold and diamond mines in South Africa - it was possible sail directly from the Isle of Man to South Africa.

Niarbyl Bay at sunrise. Famous for crabs.

New Year's Day cheese,

My son and his friend Christina doing their 'John and Yoko in bed' impression. They didn't realise at the time, and probably haven't seen the pictures! But at least they knew who John Lennon was....!

The first wintery day. We went up the mountain and it was blimmin freezing. The road was closed - far too icy. This is the TT course, and the pump is outside the Creg Ny Baa Pub, one of the most renowned corners on the course. The riders approach this at 200mph+ - sitting just feet away from them on the banks is a very visceral experience....

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
^ They are excellent photos, CK. I really like the Shell petrol station image (I really like a LOT of those photos) but my favourite is probably the one with the boat, PL 63.

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
Thanks Alfie! I like the fishing boat as well: I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it has something about it.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Good pics CK - particularly liked the cheese board with meats, (very healthy), and the Laxey Wheel - amazing. But my favourite is the last, 'Peel Harbour'.

Here's a more modest effort from my middle Son David, a view from the clifftop at Carlyon Bay in Cornwall to Dodman point . .

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
Good pics CK - particularly liked the cheese board with meats, (very healthy), and the Laxey Wheel - amazing. But my favourite is the last, 'Peel Harbour'.

Here's a more modest effort from my middle Son David, a view from the clifftop at Carlyon Bay in Cornwall to Dodman point . .

Thanks Roger!

That view looks very familiar - could be many places on the Isle of Man (but this is probably true of much of the UK coastline!). I do like being close to the sea.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
CK you must have stayed at the clifftop Carlyon Bay Hotel, btw did you land your helicopter there? The photo is taken from about 100 metres west of CBH looking south of course.

The IoM always looks fantastic in your pics - to me the UK coast is mostly beautiful and Cornwall has more than it's share of those delights.

But will you swap your IoM passport for my Cornish one ? ATB 

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
CK you must have stayed at the clifftop Carlyon Bay Hotel, btw did you land your helicopter there? The photo is taken from about 100 metres west of CBH looking south of course.

Haven't stayed there Roger! Thanks for the tip about the helicopter; it's just getting the plugs changed but I'll nip down when she's back....  8)

The IoM always looks fantastic in your pics - to me the UK coast is mostly beautiful and Cornwall has more than it's share of those delights.

It's amazing how Cornwall has become THE desirable place to live in the UK. Where the difficulties of getting there were once an obstacle now they're a benefit. But I feel for the locals who have been priced-out of the property market. How long before Cornish Nationalism turns violent and second homes begin to be torched....

But will you swap your IoM passport for my Cornish one?

We have visa-free travel as one of the six Celtic nations! (extra points if you know which flag is the Cornish flag! Even more points if you know where the other flag is from).

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi CK - it's long ago the locals were priced out, (but that's not just Cornwall of course). For decades if you owned a property and didn't live there, there was 50% concession on the Council Tax ! That was crazy - I'd have multiplied Council Tax by 6 as a disincentive. I lived in Port Navas which has been long gutted of all Cornish locals.

Aggressive incidents involving 'Nationalism' are extremely rare, which is surprising.

The Cornish flag is the white cross on black - please can you put the points on my EPL tally  ;)

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
The Cornish flag is the white cross on black - please can you put the points on my EPL tally  ;)

I'm the one who needs the points Roger!

It was a crisp but very clear Sunday so we decided a trip out was needed. Down to the 'Deep South' we went:

Derbyhaven bay, which has an odd breakwater that is not linked to land. This was the main harbour in the south in the 17th and 18th century. Ships would land here and unload cargo which would then be carted (literally) onshore when the tide went out.

This crab claw was as big as my hand - a crab that might have been 40+ years old. Most likely caught and eaten by a seal.

Civil War era round fort.

Looking south over the golf course. The fairway in shot is the racecourse. This was the site of the original Derby race, when the Earls of Derby controlled the island.

I would love to know how a fireplace came to be on the beach...

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Great photos CK - my favourite is the bay by moonlight  :)

Online Coolkorat

• Forum Sage
    • Pix Isaan
Great photos CK - my favourite is the bay by moonlight  :)

Thanks Roger, that's very kind!

I am a member of a group called 'Two Photographers' created by two professional photographers whose work and income has been terminated by Covid. They run weekly discussion sessions over Zoom, and 'In Depth' sessions where they talk/ train about specific subjects. The Zoom sessions are free, the In Depth are paid (but only 20 euros). I am doing one tomorrow on food photography, something I really want to get better at.