Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vegetarian - Jay - festival  (Read 154 times)

Alfie

• Forum Guru
Vegetarian - Jay - festival
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »

I see that lots of food products being sold now have the "jay" sign on the packaging. The Thai "jay" (vegetarian) festival began last week I think and usually lasts for 9 or 10 days. Are there any special events for it in Korat?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Re: Vegetarian - Jay - festival
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »

Are there any special events for it in Korat?

In general there are every year, culminating in a rather spectacular parade around town. I don't know about this year given that it coincides with end of royal mourning period. If you want to know more I advise calling Korat's TAT Office. Last night anyway I enjoyed a free vegetarian soup at Benevolent Buddhist Foundation 31, on Jomsurangyard Rd, near the Buarong crossing.

Note that vegetarianism in Thailand is not just a particular diet: it's a philosophy of life tightly intertwined with some Buddhist precepts; which explains in part all of that gruesome piercing in the parades. As to Thai vegetarian cuisine, I personally find it worth tasting, but never as delicious as some other vegetarian cuisines (I love the Indian one).

About the 2015 edition in Korat, see this contribution by forum member Steven on his blog. Here are some photos of the 2013 parade in Korat.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Re: Vegetarian - Jay - festival
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »

Are there any special events for it in Korat?

2 days ago they held a related "giant pan" event in front of The Mall, in presence of provincial authorities and also commemorating late King Bhumibol:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5dJpWVGmfo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5dJpWVGmfo</a>
Village idiots unwelcome here
Pages: [1]